Notify
Tools

short bear video
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I played with some footage tonight and came up with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_kgHc9B4yE

Posts: 141 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cool flick - the bi colored bear reminds me of one we watch up by st michaels one day that was black on the back half and silver on the front

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice, thanks!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
Aren't they cute? So soft and cuddly, little darlin'. bsflag

Nice film work, thanks.

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Great videos. Did you use a tripod? Was the camcorder equipped with an optical image stabilizer?

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by namibiahunter:
Great videos. Did you use a tripod? Was the camcorder equipped with an optical image stabilizer?

Namibiahunter

The first bear was shot with a tripod. The other footage, no, but camera has image stabilization.
Thanks for the comments. I'm lucky to be able to get the footage I do. The bear that comes around the rock was about 30 feet from me when I hit him with a rock to get him to turn around. Good fun.

Happy Holidays!

Posts: 141 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Alasken, thanks for your answer, but here's some more questions:

I'm assuming you had used the miniDV format - what editing software did you use?

Did you use a remote?

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
while its a great flick,i'd caution you not to let your guard down one iotta,they only fear their own kind. tell me your rifle was on your back loaded,don''t throw stones your a walking sandwitch,i'd hate to hear about another mauling and death.
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
originally posted by jjmp

while its a great flick,i'd caution you not to let your guard down one iotta,they only fear their own kind. tell me your rifle was on your back loaded,don''t throw stones your a walking sandwitch,i'd hate to hear about another mauling and death.
regards

Good advice for all, thanks. I'm asking Alasken about his technique because I plan to video my 11 year old son's first safari in Africa next year. I tried to video my 13 year old's safari last year but didn't do a very good job.

When I'm hunting in Alaska I always carry a .44 Mag for backup but rely primarily on a .338 Win Mag or .375 H&H or .45-70 rifle. Also, most of the time I have a buddy hunting with me. Photographing and videoing, for me, has always been secondary to safety.

Namibiahunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that cool have fun
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjmp:
regards

No offense jjmp, but I think I know a little more about bears than most. Been guiding bears hunts here in AK for 19 years. Both those bears I filmed were no threat at all. They all have their own personality, these two were nice. I did see a sow with an attitude last fall while on Kodiak though. She came close to getting .416 and.375 medicine.

namibiahunter, back to the video. I am shooting mini dv. That format makes it a lot easier to edit. I'm using Final Cut Pro for the editing. I will send you a pm to discuss more.
Ken

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Alasken, was the two-tone job on the first bear a rub line?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
Alasken, was the two-tone job on the first bear a rub line?

No rub line. Just a young bear.