THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Savage Model: 116 Alaskan Brush Hunter

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model: 116 Alaskan Brush Hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am planning a float trip in 2013 hunting caribou, and I came across this rifle. Does anyone have any experience with it? I am looking for a ss/s .338 w/ iron sights. The Savage in $1000+ less than the Sako Kodiak.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon, I just looked that up...an 18" barrel 338. Yikes..better wear earplugs! Looks like a solid little carbine that would take the Alaskan conditions well. I wonder what kind of ballistics they get with the 18" barrel...probably OK.

Posts: 20124 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in getting my hands on one myself. Hopefully running into one at Cabela's tomorrow to check it out. I'll report back if I find one.

Very interested to know if anyone's shot one yet.

Posts: 1430 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon,

I have a 416 Ruger Alaskan that is a 20 inch barrel stainless if interested it's NIB for $ 725 plus shipping.

Hawkeye

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have my sights on at 338win. I do like the Ruger Alaskan, I looked at one today at sportsmans. I also looked at the weather warrior. All I would need to do is cut the barrel to 22" and add iron sights.

I wish Rugers marketing department would read AR. A .338 for Alaska, in the 'Ruger Alaskan'?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon, I can't help adding my 2 cents on this topic, I need another gun like I need a tax audit, but the Sako Kodiak is really tempting me, to compare a savage to the Sako is like compairing a Geo Metro to a Corvette, they will both go down the road, but I would prefer to go in style. I'm not saying the Savage is a bad gun, but life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle. The main thing to concider is the safety, the Savage safety is small and located in a place that makes it hard to use with gloves on.

Posts: 26 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 18 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago Rifle Magazine had a little article in their products review section, on the SAKO Manlicher, and Handy rifles.

Both had 20" barrels, one was a 338 Win Mag, the other a 375 H&H.

They were suprised at how little velocity both of those cartridges lost.

I have had a SAKO Handy in 375 H&H and now use a Blaser R 93 Tracker in 375 H&H with a 19 3/4" barrel and I have never felt any sort of handicap due to the short barrels.
Same with short barreled 308's as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jim in AK:
Jon, I can't help adding my 2 cents on this topic, I need another gun like I need a tax audit, but the Sako Kodiak is really tempting me, to compare a savage to the Sako is like compairing a Geo Metro to a Corvette, they will both go down the road, but I would prefer to go in style. I'm not saying the Savage is a bad gun, but life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle. The main thing to concider is the safety, the Savage safety is small and located in a place that makes it hard to use with gloves on.

Jim, I totally agree, I had two Sakos that I had to let go last year. One went with the ex (well worth it) and the other to fund my elk hunt, I understand how a Sako shoulders. But, the Kodiak would have to be re-stocked to fit my wants. Another option is to find a used Sako 75/85 ss/s hunter and put irons sights. Which is just one of many options. I hope to buy an off the shelf work horse rather than a safe queen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of the box at the range---the Savage will outshoot the Sako 99 percent of the time. Looks are only skin deep.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a Savage to Alaska twice. I got a bear and a caribou with mine. I never had any problems and would take it with again.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage's just plain shoot, right out of the box. If your into varminting then you either own a Savage or can't wait to own one. I own both Sako's and Savage's and like them both. When I'm just tooling around in the back country, a lot of times I'm carrying a Savage Safari Express in 458 WM with open sights. It's compact and weights 6 1/2 lbs. Boy does it kick, but carry's easy and delivers a massive slug accurately.

Posts: 442 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
As far as a tough Alaskan 338 . The Ruger 77mkll is the toughest . If u really want the best of both words put a McMillan A5 Hunter stock on a Ruger 338Win .
Tho the 375 handles barrel shortening ok . The 338 doesn't . I had a 20" barreled one once . It gave 35 Whelan velocities .

Why not just get a 338 RCM ?

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Several years ago Rifle Magazine had a little article in their products review section, on the SAKO Manlicher, and Handy rifles.

Both had 20" barrels, one was a 338 Win Mag, the other a 375 H&H.

They were suprised at how little velocity both of those cartridges lost.

I have had a SAKO Handy in 375 H&H and now use a Blaser R 93 Tracker in 375 H&H with a 19 3/4" barrel and I have never felt any sort of handicap due to the short barrels.
Same with short barreled 308's as well.

I had read that article too... the funny thing was I had previously owned a .338 WM in the Sako Manlicher. I kept it for a couple years, put about 1000 rounds (handloads) through it, and took it moose hunting. All I can say is I had to replace the stock with a fiberglass one, it did loose a bunch of ballistics (like 100 compared to a 24" and 150 compared to a 26"), but I never noticed muzzle blast all that much, or recoil, but, then, I wore muffs for 90+% of those shots.

It got traded for a .375 H&H M70 Win.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 848 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
Tho the 375 handles barrel shortening ok . The 338 doesn't . I had a 20" barreled one once . It gave 35 Whelan velocities .

Why not just get a 338 RCM ?

I have no experience on the effects of the velocity other than what I have read online. 100-150 fps less on a 20" compared to a 26". However, as .458Only has pointed out, Sako did create the Handy rifle in .338 w/ an 18" barrel. As a 300yd thumper, I suspect the "flatness" of the round would still be more than adequate.

I have considered a RCM (still on the short list), but availability of ammo is an issue. I do not handload. And the fact that I have always wanted a .338 Win. If Ruger made their compact magnum in SS/S that would be enticing.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
The 338 RCM comes in both 20" and 22" stainless , synth. Is available . .

As long as you have enough ammo then a shortage isn't a problem .
I do wish Hornady would load the 225 gr GMX bullet in the RCM

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote