THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    What power range scopes for Alaska

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What power range scopes for Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a 6 lb. .338 ordered for use in AK. I like variable scopes and am looking for suggestions. Do you guys use QD rings and open sights on your rifles?

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cobrad: There can be some long shots on the open tundra, but a good 1.75-6 Leupold is probably one of the best scopes out there for use in Alaska (it is what I like and use). I do have a Leupold 3x9 on my .300 Wby, but I have the 1.75x6 on my .378, and I prefer that scope. You probably don't need anything more than a 6x scope. Some heavy rifles have open sights (.375s, .416s, .458s), but as a practicle matter most rifles do not have iron sights which makes QD rings a mute point. I would stick with fixed rings and bases and a well scoped rifle. That said, I have seen heavy rifles (.416s) with QD rings and iron sights used in the field here. If that is what you want, that is what you should get. A 6 pound .338..emmm. Sounds excitingCool.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cobrad, i guess it depends what youll be hunting here, but i will have to agree with rwj, My three favorite scopes are the leupold vx3 in 1.5-5 for close cover, 1.75-6 for close and medium range and a 2.5-8 power for general use.

Posts: 201 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like 2-7's and 3-9's for 30/06's and .338's etc. I have not woned a .338 but thats what it would wear if I did. My 9.3 has a 2-7 and thats pretty close to a .338.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my 3.5x10 x50 Nikon on my 338.It has plenty of low light gathering ability and is still awesome foe long range.I have a 3x9 Nikon on my 416 rem mag.I use a 6.5x20 Nikon on my 338-378 weatherby for the open tundra.I like the 3.5x10x50 mm best of all.Its good up close and far away.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
I really like the 2.5-8 Leupold for here in Alaska. Thats the scope that I have used on my 338 for the last 4 years and its a great match. If you wanted to spend a little less money the 2-7 is also a good one. As far as QD rings and open sights, I haven't used them much. I had a set of QD on a 375 H&H for awhile but never used them and the only gun I like to have open sights on is a beater .338 I use to check bear baits with. I'm sure they might be handy in the right situation but they are not a must have item. Good luck!

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 1.25-4x Trijicon on my .375RUM.....does a great job.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobrad

For most of the time I lived in Alaska I used a rig very similiar to what you describe. Brown Precision did up a 338 for me that tipped the scales wqith a 2.5x8 Leupold at a hair over 7 pounds. used it on everything an really loved it. I personally found the 2.5x8 to be perfect for general use. If I specifically went after brown bear I shot a heavier rifle with a low power variable but I always felt confident withthe 338 and the 2.5x8.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12936 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Everyone of these guys makes good sense. Just remember to keep your scope turned down to the lowest power when carrying it. There always seems to be time to turn the power ring up for distant targets but seldom so for close ones.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrad:
I've got a 6 lb. .338 ordered for use in AK. I like variable scopes and am looking for suggestions. Do you guys use QD rings and open sights on your rifles?

The one on my .338WM is a Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x, matte. The scope is set at 2.5x 99% of the time while hunting. I crank it up from 4x to 7x (or so) depending on the shot, and then I bring it back to 2.5x. It's an excellent habit to develop when hunting in bear country.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
I guess a lot has to do with what you are comfortable with. If you are buying new rather that using what you have you have more flexibility in your decision.

I put an existing Leupold VX3- 3-10.5 x 40 on my new CZ 416 Rigby with Tally quick detach rings and am very pleased with what I have.

Some say 3.5 is too high on the lower end,I say it is all what one prefers and is comfortable with. I think the 3.5 is good for the way we will be hunting. If we are that close (less than 60 yards or so)and the 3.5 setting is too high powered, I take the scope off. Chances are if we are in tight quarters the scope will be off and in my pack.

The 10.5 power will get you up close and personal on a long shot without having to be up close and personal. I likley wouldn't use the 10.5 while hunting as I won't take a shot that requires that maginification unless it is a book bear, however when dialed in at 7 power, I still have excellent eye relief and the scope doesn't start getting small on me as I am in the middle, not out at the extreme end of the magnification range.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
On my 338 Win I have a old weaver fixed 3X power. On my 300 WSM I have a Leupold 2.5x8 and on my 45-70 a Leupold 1.5x5.....on my 30-06 a Redfield 2x7 and 1.75x5 Widefields.

I recom. something in the mid power range for your 338 Win....the Leupold 2.5x8 is excellent.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I find the consistency in replies pretty interesting. I have a 3X9 Zeiss on my 6lb .338, but will probably change to the Leupy 2.5X8 (because of greater eye relief). I agree with RWJ and grizzinater concerning the 1.75X6 - it is my favorite scope; I use it on my .416 (with QDs and iron sights), on one of my .375s, and will mount one on the 9.3X62 I'm having built.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feed back. I have a Nikon Monarch Gold in 1.5-6 on the way. 4" eye relief and 64' FOV. I think this will cover the bases.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest a see threw mount ! scope failure happens ! 6 power is a great # for everything !

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobrad,
a six pound .338 needs a scope with looooong......eye relief. If you insist on a variable.........well go with the 1.5x5 Leupold.
Better even yet, get over the "love for variables" and get a 2.5 fixed power leupold.
For a lightweight rifle like yours, you need this trim scope to maintain handling quality and balance in the field. The fixed powers are MORE reliable then variables too, something rather important in the Alaska hunting fields would you not say uh?
For the kind of game you hunt with a .338 (Moose/elk/bear/deer sized) you be good out to 400 yards. A sensible max. range for the .338 for non-dangerous game.
Better even yet, you be awsome on those fast close range lift and shoot NOW into the kill- box shots, where you do not have time to fiddle and re-adjust your scope power settings, or search in your scope left accidently on 6x or larger to tell ass from front on a moose at 20-30 yards in the trees. If you do not regard my experience as relevant, I like to note that it is also the experience of the skilled and pragmatic guide Phil Shoemaker that the 2.5 Leupold fixed works great in open and forested country.

Posts: 101 | Location: Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good points shrike. I chose the Nikon because the 4" eye relief at 6x is greater by .8" than the Luey 1.5-6 at 6x. It also has a 64' FOV @ 1.5x, roughly 30% greater than said Luey. I always leave my scope at the lowest setting, but for a 400 yd shot would prefer 6x over 2.5x. The Nikon is heavier than the Luey, but that is the trade off. I have a similar weight scope (17oz) on a 5.5 lb .243, and I find it to balance okay. I can't argue about fixed vs variable, mostly because I've only had one fixed and that was 30 years ago. I have read that the Germans in WW2 shot very well out to 500 yds using 2x scout type scopes. I don't know if this was fact, but I guess I would want to use a 2.5x before committing to one for all-round use.

one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
Fascinating and timely thread for me.
I broke in on the Big Bore section and ultimately chose a Remington 700 / .375 RUM to fill my "Elk, Moose, Bear" gun niche.
The truth is I will likely be hunting in Washington State, British Columbia or Alaska rather than the Dark Continent, so my 700's are appropriate in my case.
They're a little stuck on CRF/Mausers in Big Bore... Wink

The TOPIC of scopes here has me spinning in circles.
I may end up saving a bit of money going either with what I've got or what I want to get.

I've got 3 Leupold Vari-X III's in 4.5-14x40 / 1" tube that can be switched around on my 700's.

For my .375 RUM, I'm counting on the 4.5" of eye relief and reputed Leupold toughness to stand up to the .375 RUM.
The scope mount is a steel Tactical base from Mounting Solutions Plus, with Weaver Grand Slam rings. Sights have been removed from the bbl.

I've got a NIKON 6.5-20x44 that can be utilized, as well as 3 Redfield Widefield scopes in 1.75-5x20; 2-7 & 3-9...
My real concern is EYE RELIEF, which Leupold has in spades.

I'm wondering how dgr416 is keeping from getting bashed by the short eye relief on the NIKON scopes...and how well the NIKON scopes are surviving upper end recoil levels.

I also was looking at the Trijicon 1.25-4 for my .375 RUM...it has good eye relief, but I also wonder about its ruggedness.

Finally, I'll be augmenting my NIKON optics ( I have the shotgun scope; spotting scope; two sets of binoculars; two cameras... ) and have pretty much settled on the Monarch 3.3-10x44 AO to go on the .375 RUM --- IF the constant 3.6" eye relief and mechanical integrity is sufficient.

The ability to QD the various scopes is important to me.
Your thoughts? Smiler

NAHC Life Member
NRA Endowment/Life Member
Remington Society of America Member
Hunter in Training

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
This illustrates the Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 AO 1"tube Tactical scope setup used on the 700 POLICE. This and the other two 4.5's I have can be mounted to the long-action 7mm or .375 by simply moving the front ring closer to the objective bell.
The base is a Leupold Mk4 steel unit, no cant.
The rings are Weaver Grand Slam medium height and are tough to find...anybody have a lead on the rings?
I used a Hogue pillar bedded stock on this rifle to keep with the theme of a 'portable and easy to hold in the wet' "SHTF" gun... Roll Eyes

This is the Big NIKON on the 'other SHTF' rifle... Big Grin

I've since added a cheekpiece and buttpad to accomodate a, don't laugh, Tasco TITAN 30mm 1.25-4x26mm 4A scope...!
It allows me to shoot with both eyes open and if it doesn't last, I'll only be out $167.00. It's a good scope for the money.

As you can tell, I like to play with guns! gunsmile

NAHC Life Member
NRA Endowment/Life Member
Remington Society of America Member
Hunter in Training

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote