THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Hunt advice on caribou and muskox or brown bear hunt

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt advice on caribou and muskox or brown bear hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got back from Africa [and feel better now]for the first time ,and have decided i want to do a caribou and muskox hunt or a brown bear hunt next year.Can anyone advise me on dos and donts? what time of year to hunt? who is a good outfitter at reasonable price?whats a good calibre to take i have a 30-06, 8x68, 340 and other recommendations or advice for this first timer ,thankyou

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think our Musk Ox hunts are by drawing permit only. Odds are really low on drawing.

As for the bear, contact 458Win (Phil).

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I believe some guides offer combined caribou and interior grizzly hunts, and that would be a fall hunt. Brown bears are hunted in the spring and fall.

I don't know what you consider reasonable prices, but Alaska is much more expensive to hunt than Africa. That is based on it being mostly wild and uninhabited country where everything has to be flow in, and out in small aircraft. If you are looking for a bou only hunt, airfair, hunting license and tags and a guide will probably be in the $8k range, add an interior grizzly and your looking in the $12k range, coastal browns will all costs include will be upwards of $15k.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
velodog: What DPhillips and Paul outline is right on the mark..getting a muskox tag is tough for for everyone. There are plenty of bear guides that offer hunts where caribou also can reasonably be hunted, but as Paul points out, that would be a fall hunt (Sept).

Phil Shoemaker, who posts here as 458Win, is a well respected guide that specializes in hunting really big brown bears on the Ak Peninsula. There are caribou down there too. You might start with him to a get a feel for what is available. But Alaska is a big place with lots of different opportunities.

p.s.: The your .30-06 would do fine on caribou with good bullets, but if you hunt bear the .340 would be the minimum in my book...the .340 would be good alround cartridge.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote