Find
Notify
Tools

black bears without a guide?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Seems like this has been touched on before but I couldn't find it, so I'll ask.

I was just talking to Alaska DNR, a biologist. I asked about black bear hunting on my own without an outfitter.

He said Prince William Sound would be the place to go. He said most people fly to Anchorage, charter transportation, and go after them. Of course, he made it sound simple.

Anyone have any advice on this? I'm thinking of doing it with my brother. I'd appreciate any help.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is simple, time+money=black bear. Guided or chartered it's gonna cost some dough and take some time for your best odds.

That said, Prince William Sound has alot of decent blk bears and few great blackies, if your looking for a great black bear look to SE AK-you can find DIY lodges on POW.

Good luck-Ron

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'll check into that too. Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go to PWS you really need a boat. even if you arrange transportation you still need a small inflatable to travel around from one bay to the next.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6605 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
How much does a do it yourself black bear cost?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

Call the AK,F&G office in Ketchikan. They will give you all the details.

By the time you fly to Ketchikan, rent a vehicle, do the ferry thing and secure accomodations on POW you might be as well be booking a black bear in BC. Of course if you can judge black bears Alaska is your best bet because a monster of 7' plus is definitely possible.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark.

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
I did the do it yourself hunt in 1988 with four friends of mine. We hunted on POW island and shot nine nice bears, and one great bear in seven days time (you were allowed two per tag in 88). We rented the cabin from Alaska F&G for a whopping $85.00 per week. Because of the number of hunters and food, gear, etc... we needed two float planes (one Beaver and one Super Beaver) to get us in and out. We arranged this through Mike at Ketchikan air for a total cost of $1200.00. We brought an inflatable zodiac and 3.0 horse motor to use both in the salt water and the lake. At that time there were so many bears the boat would not have been needed, however it was real handy to go and fetch the crab traps (which we purchased in Ketch)!! As I remember we spent a little less than $1000.00 a piece (airfare to Ketchikan included) on that hunt, and what a great time it was!! I have no idea what the prices would be today, but I can almost assure you the charter air rates have more than doubled. I have been on alot of hunts since then, but I will never forget the personal satisfaction we all had by doing it ourselves. On a side note, the fishing was second to none. We hunted in the fall and the humpies were running. Not much for eating IMO, but great fun to catch. I think the five of us went through 60 green pixie lures as we were fishing with ultra light gear.

BOWHUNR

P.S. The game warden almost crapped his pants when we showed up in town with ten bears to check, and a flight leaving in an hour and a half. He was happy though, as they were receiving complaints from fishermen using the cabins.

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Wow. That does sound like a good time!

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bulldog563:
How much does a do it yourself black bear cost?

Thats kind of an open ended question. You could fly up, get a non res license and tag ~$500, rent a car and hike out into the hills. Some folks are successful that way, and honestly black bear is one of the better options for road hunting, but they aren't off just any road.

If you're looking for a boat based hunt, where you live off a boat and are transported around the hunting area, but not guided, you're looking in the $2-3k range, plus license/tags, plus airfare to the boat. When you add in the opportunity for fishing/shrimping/crabbing, that is a very good way to go.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Don Lietzau
posted Hide Post
Doc
I book lodge based, unguided Black Bear hunts in Prince William Sound. The area is great for bears and the old logging roads easy to walk. Bears in this area run big, 6 foot plus, plus and the lodge sets you up with a boat, motor, lodge accomidations and meals and what ever else you might need. Get back to me off the form if your interested. You can also fish and I feel fall is the best time however spring is fine but the bears will be higher up on the hillsides.
Don

Don Lietzau
1-907-688-6946
Don Lietzau's Outdoor Adventures
20508 Mark Circle,
Chugiak, Alaska 99567

Posts: 41 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don.

I'll definitely be in touch as I am in the infancy of planning this whole thing.

We'll have to talk more about fall vs. spring hunting.

I'll PM you or email you. Thanks again everyone.

By the way, if anyone else is interested in a hunting partner, I'm usually solo.

One of Us
Picture of Don Lietzau
posted Hide Post
DOc
Give me a call when your ready and we will talk more on the Black Bear hunt in PWS.
Merry Christmas....
Don

Don Lietzau
1-907-688-6946
Don Lietzau's Outdoor Adventures
20508 Mark Circle,
Chugiak, Alaska 99567

Posts: 41 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I will do that. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Will try and call tonight or before Christmas at least.

Thanks for the help.