Find
Notify
Tools

Scope cover?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted
Need to get a some sort of scope cover for a backpack style hunt for goats. Given the rough and wet conditions I figured a neoprene style cover that goes over the entire scope might be better than the flip open lense covers.

Curious what everyone else prefers.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It might not be a bad idea to use BOTH.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always gotten by using bikini scope covers. A friend of mine who is a sheep guide uses old inner tube that is cut to length. Always a good idea to have a clean dry lens cloth handy.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use just the see-thru flip opens. No matter what you got to protect the glass, its still gonna get wet up here.

If you have a good scope, dont worry about it.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a recent Leupold, their new flip up scope covers are the best. They don't work on pre-2004 Leupold scopes however; different threads.
I have the Butler Creek covers on some scopes, but I am just not satisfied with them. They are not secure when closed, and flip open any time they feel like it. Keeping them in the closed position is an issue for me.
I have recently bought some Quake covers that are somewhat better than the Butler Creeks as they have a more positive hold when closed.
Outside of that, the Bikini's are probably the best route to go for lens protection. But, quick access to the scope when a shot is at hand may be an issue. I've never used them, so I can't complain about that..

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Been using the Butler Creek covers for many years and the only issue I have had was when the pin slid out of a front cover, not a big deal to me.
I like them because they work and when it's time to get ready for that shot a quick flick of the finger and thumb and your ready to shoot.
I use to run the 2 covers with the large rubber band but kept having issues with them popping off while walking through brush so I went with the BC caps and never looked back.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried several flip up covers including the relatively expensive Leupold 'Alumina' threaded type. None of those were tough enough for SEAK mountain hunts. I don't remember any making it through more than 3-4 hunts.IMHO if you want to go with a threaded cover, just go with the fixed lens cover.

'Bikini' type covers work fairly well because they have a retainer band for quick removal. I've also cut covers from inner tubes, which works fine in a pinch. Unfortunatley all of those tend to snag and break more often than neoprene jacket types.

Neoprene jackets have always worked for me. A few years ago someone sold a slick neoprene jacket that not only worked great but was cheap. It's important to get jackets that fit snugly so they don't come off every time they get hung up a bit. Lots of companies sell neoprene foam jackets in sizes to fit most scopes.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use flip open, an to keep the pins from walkin out i take a solderin iron and sear plastic over ends of the pins, they are all p.o.s.
if someone could invent a good scope cover he'd be rich

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used a scope coat as needed over flip ups. This not only kept my glass dry, but also protected an expensive scope from getting dinged up. This was on a horseback sheep hunt. Do the same in CO.

Phil

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the best ones were made by Uncle Mike's years ago. They just slipped over the scope and had a quality "rubber band" that slid over the rifle. In short, they worked & you couldn'r lose 'em. Sadly, Butler Creek bought them out (I think) and, like all good ideas, Butler shit canned those covers. Now, ya pretty well have to buy the dorky lookin' flip up style. The bikini style is available but I find they don't last. Figures!! As mentioned above, I think somebody could make some good money by coming up with a QUALITY style of scope cover. Bring back the Uncle Mikes!!!!
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
That's what I'm thinking Phil. Better protection for when my rifle is straped to a backpack. I don't want to have to worry about the flip open covers coming open while walking.

As far as speed goes, I've seen many claim they can slip a cover off just as fast as opening the flip open style.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a Lupy and it's recent, try rain coat lens that screw on over the scope lens and shed water and protect the lens, then just throw on a neoprene scope condom over the whole shabang.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bikini. The flip-ups leak....

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Vining:
A friend of mine who is a sheep guide uses old inner tube that is cut to length.

+1

Simple, cheap, and dry, thus IMO the best scope cover.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I second the Uncle Mike's covers. They worked great and were fast to get off. I've been nursing a pair on my 30-06 for the last few years. In a rare stroke of genius I stock piled extra rubber bands when they were closing them out.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have flip ups on one rifle, bikini style on two other rifles and home made from inner tubes on a couple of other rifles. I fashioned thin nylon strips attached to them which attaches to a scope base; that way I don't lose them. They are not pretty but they work as well as the other factory made covers- and you can't beat the price. Of the three "styles" I like the home made best and the flip ups least. The latter sometimes flip up without being activated and if not caught will snag on brush, limbs, etc. They also take up extra space on outer edge of gun cases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the old inner tube covers you guys suggest. Haven't tried them, but will.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never been to AK but snow/rain is snow/rain no matter where you are. I personally have found the full length neoprene scope covers to be by far the best. I tie them down to the scope tube with a black or green shoe string and use the ends like a flip up scope cover. Works great and protects the scope from dings as well as dust on the lens. If conditions are sunny with no dust, you just leave the ends of the cover flipped up.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote