THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Varmit Scopes ?????????????Extreme Cold ??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmit Scopes ?????????????Extreme Cold ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
..... Since I don,t want to spend many hundreds of dollars on a scope and have it crap out because of the cold .... Anyone have any advice on what works and what don,t ,,, and maybe why .... Also , laser range finders in the cold ????????

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Without wishing to seem flippant, may I suggest trying whatever the military use for sniper scopes?

If the average super squaddie cannot break it, then it should work. I believe the UK uses German Schmidt & Bender scopes.

Spendy? Yes, but they do work from Norway in Winter through Iraq in Summer and Afghanistan in Winter.

Sometimes you can find good second hand deals on optics. Well,in England you can.

Otherwise, there are the Leupold scopes. Both the dedicated S&B and the Leupold marksman scopes come with sufficient adjustment for long range shooting.

I do not know much about Nightforce scopes. I think? they are mainly used by the target shooting crowd.

I do not think lasers per se are affected by extreme cold. But the battery power packs for the units are. Keep them inside your coat, warmed by body heat unless they are being used?

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i haven't had trouble with any scopes in the cold. rangefinders on the other hand use batteries and they don't work well in the cold. have to use good batteries, new ones and keep the thing in your pocket & warm.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have put leupold 61/2-20x40mm. with the varmint hunters reticule on my varmint rifles. They have increased my first round hits at over 250 yds. on small prairie dogs by a substantial percentage. I would estimate 33-50%. But i don't know how they hold up in cold weather, I would think o.k. and they do have a good warranty which they stand behind very well.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
..... Are the increase in first shot kills due to the higher magnification or the clarity if the optics , or some other factor ????????

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
,,,, Well ,, I have narrowed the field down to probably the one I will get ......... Taking all things into consideration .. The Bushnell Elite 3200 , 4-12x40 with the Ballistic reticle ...... One of the big concerns I have are foggy , wet , iced up lenses ... .. I don,t know how they do in the ice dept , but I have had more problems with the surface of scope lenses wet, fogged up or covered with snow than any other single problem ... and I have seen all the top brands with the same problem ................

If you can,t see into the scope then you can,t get the benefit of all the fancy lenses ect ......... Scope caps work some until the action starts , then its a crap shoot with most scopes...........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing I learned about scopes is that you don't keep running them in and out of heat and cold as that used to cause foggy scopes, least way years ago. It is best if at all possible once you take it out into the cold try to keep it there in a secure place.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Any and all scopes will fog up if they are cold and you breathe on them, or take them into a warmer humid area. Cover the lenses as best you can, and carry some lens cleaning materials if its raining. If its cold, don't let the scope warm up, and don' breathe on it.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Any and all scopes will fog up if they are cold and you breathe on them, or take them into a warmer humid area. Cover the lenses as best you can, and carry some lens cleaning materials if its raining. If its cold, don't let the scope warm up, and don' breathe on it.

Amen,

Same here in Northern Michigan, especially the UP where we hunt. We leave our rifles out in an unheated shed all night so they are cold when we go hunting. I have flip up lens covers to keep my breath off the rear lens till it's time to shoot.

Don