Find
Notify
Tools

Problem bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted
This is more or less a continuation on the mauling thread except it's in my yard. There's a bear that has been probing around here all day showing definite signs getting into our kennels,chicken coop, and smokehouse. Despite being chased off and shot over he seems determined to be part of the state sales at the Rondy, I'll post pics if he persists. The 425 is loaded with some 350 Woodleighs that need a test run before fall bear on the penisula as well.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
That sucks .. But good bullet testing media

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just give him a swift kick in the ass next time he comes around ... Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
That sucks .. But good bullet testing media

A bit more authenticity than ballistic jelatin!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Well this isn,t a bear but it was in the process of opening up the insulation in the rafter bays of our cabin .... It,s amazing how much noise a squirrel can make .... He,s all wet because he fell off the cabin log he was sitting on into the rain barrel . .. The rifle is my Savage model 6 with lock able breach semi auto / straight pull bolt action .. It,s really pretty neat .....Good neck shot huh ..

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
Just give him a swift kick in the ass next time he comes around ... Big Grin

Knowing Waterrat , there is a good chance he has already done that .........

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Waterrat
Such is life where you live. From time to time you have to deal with bears in a way they understand. Of course there are those who think you should leave them alone and let bears be bears but it's not their yard.
It's funny when Park Service sets up a camp adjacent to ours so they can observe the hunt. When a bear gets into their stuff they are screeming and yelling and shooting off rounds just like everyone else.
One time at Battle they ran a nice 9 foot boar out of their camp right to us. We shot him about half way between thier camp and ours.

Gumboot
Damn squirrels. I have that same problem at my cabin. They get the same modifcation at my place as yours. The problem is for every one you kill they seem to have about ten relatives that will make it to the funeral.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
If it's a problem bear, I think you should get first shot at it! After putting down several problem black bears on a ranch near Yellowstone over a 2 year period 30 years ago, I felt like an executioner. The park service would relocate grizzlies, but just gave out tags for the problem black/cinnamon bears. I never had that feeling when facing a grizzly though! Always felt they had at least a fighting chance, more than that when your rifle was 50 feet away and you were in the stream with your fly rod!

Good luck with your bear ...

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4730 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One doesn't shoot problem bears for fun or sport.

You shoot them to get rid of the problem. A WWII vet who landed on Dday frought across Europe told me he learned something during the war.
" If you are going to kill some thing don't give it a chance."

I think that is sound advice.

Posts: 19374 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Agree.

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4730 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Jim, I seem to remember that this is not the first bear that developed a taste for your chickens and smokehouse contents.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
The bugger didn't show up last nite but there is a sow with 3 big cubs across the bay. This time of the yr they cruise the beach feeding on the never ending supply of dead stickelbacks and flotsam. One of their favorite thing is to destroy all my trapping cubbies and chew gas lines off the boats.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
chew gas lines off the boats

They don't want competition for the fish ... Big Grin

Smart Bears ... they probably read your post here and decided not to come back to your place.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote