Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 Titanium
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone tried out the Remington 700 titanium? It seems like a good price for a light rifle for sheep, goats, etc... How is the accuracy?

Please don't respond if you are going to bash push feed actions. Thanks.

Posts: 12 | Location: Soldotna, AK | Registered: 28 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rowdy, I picked up a Remmington Titanium for this season. It started off as a 7mm-08 and was immediately rechambered to a .284 Win. and the bolt shroud was changed to an aluminum after market one.

The rifle is great! Remmington did a very nice job machining my sample. Mine shoots 2967 fps with 52 gr. of H380 behind a 140 gr. Barnes XLC. The two, three shots groups, both measured 0.8 inches. My first loads with H4350 extreme averaged closer to 1.5 inch. I only had a couple of weeks for load development but will work more with the rifle this spring; the rifle still has the factory upward pressure on the barrel. I've taken one mule deer so far this season.

For the money, $900 in my case, I don't believe this is a better ultra light rifle. The $90 to rechamber the rifle to .284 adds an extra 50 yard effective range to the rifle, IMHO.

BTW, I finished mine off with a 2.5-8 Leupold with Talley rings. I haven't weighed it but it should be right around 6 pounds compete.

Posts: 80 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased this rifle in 30/06 thinking that some day I will rechamber to 338/06 - I junked the j lock; relieved the forend pressure pads and bedded the action in the stock. Has Leupold DD rings / bases, a 3x9 Leupold compact and I had a 'smith tweak the trigger a bit. I have used H4350 and IMR4350, now have standardized on IMR4350 @ 55 grains with a Nosler Partition bullet. Shoots between .8 and 1" if I do my part. My rifle was also fitted and finished nicely, I paid $910 for it; it weighs with sling (unloaded) right at 6 pounds, 6 ounces. I do believe a bit more barrel weight would be advantageous as the standard barrel is a very light contour but that is just being "picky" - I agree that for the price, this is a very good rifle. Have used mine for goat, sheep, blacktail deer, caribou and have plans for black bear in spring 2004 - does not kick at all in 30/06 IMHO - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I have one in 30.06, It is the first rifle I grab out of the safe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rowdybones;
i am going to ak. next week with a neighbor who has never been on a trip before. he needed a gun for this trip and would buy any factory gun i recommended.

he paid about $900 for it.

my neighbor shot it and could not hit anything with it even at 50 yds. off the bench. he is not as tough as kmule. although he is about 210 lbs. the recoil was too stout for him and he needed a recomendation for a smith for a brake and a pad. i sent it to answer products.

i had no problems with the gun. it shot just under 1" 3 shots at 100. he did have a trigger job done before we shot it. recoil was too stout for him, i liked it. i did not like the contour of the stock though. they really tried hard to cut the weight down. i had him get a zeiss conquest in 3.5-10x 44mm set in leupold rings and bases. that is a lot of gun for the $. too bad we had to get .30-.06, no magnums available. we work around that by using federal h.e. n.p. 180 gr. shoots very nice, at least for me. he did not even want shoot it anymore.

it came back from the smith and he still has not shot it yet. we leave monday.

u will enjoy that tit' r700.

cold zero [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in .308 and love it. My only complaints are that my rifle tends to shoot a little slower than my wife's Ruger .308 (probably a peculiarity specific to this rifle), and it's a little light on the muzzle end. Other than those issues, it is really easy to lug around, and it is very accurate. I can shoot 3 shot sub moa groups at 100 yards with just about anything, including South African surplus. I have some relatively moderate loads with Barnes 165 grain XLC's that shoot 3 shot groups under 1.5" at 200 yards whenever I do my part, sometimes smaller. I sometimes can get the first two within a half inch at 200, including some shot with Federal 180 grain High Energies. I am not a great shooter, so I am sure that some people posting on this forum could do much better. I got an antelope and a mule deer with it this season, but I couldn't get a shot at a legal elk.

BTW, mine is box stock.

[ 11-13-2003, 06:43: Message edited by: WYO ]

Posts: 62 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 16 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a good deal in a lightweight rifle.I have had good luck with my other two model 700s.

Posts: 12 | Location: Soldotna, AK | Registered: 28 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
 - - cold zero -- "kick" and "recoil" are relative to ones past life experiences - I have been whacked (but good [Eek!] [Mad] ) by several rifles / handguns / shotguns so the possibility does exist that I may be a bit "daffed" and suffer from "dane bramage" [Big Grin] - compared to other firearms that I have shot, this particular one IMHO does not kick - are you and your friend coming to Alaska for hunting / what critter? KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have get two from the French importer

first received :

bolt face unsquare more than 1/100 of inch !!!!!!!!!
inletting too low bolt handle smash the stock !!
inletting too broad , more than 1/20 of inch of gap around the action !!!

second received after to havesend back the first

bolt face OK
inletting toolow but less than th efirst , can be corrected by bedding
inletting too broad but OK for bedding

and....

a wonderfull barrel probably produce with new REMINGTON barb wire process I have never see a soo poor barrel

conclusion : except the receiver in Titabnium withch is very well made ( amazing quality for a REM ) the others parts are JUNK

I far prefer a ultra light Rifle or an Alaskan gun work

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one last year and had Hill Country Rifles rebarrel with #2 contour Shilen in .280 Ackley. The rifle shoots extremely well (every factory ammo under 1 1/2"). It happens to like the (now discontinued) Federal High Energy 140 grain TTBC load, and a handload with the 160 Barnes X at 2950 - both of these loads will consistently group 1/2". Scoped with a Leupold 2.5X8 in Talley rings, the rifle weighs 7 pounds even. Only thing I would change is to have a floorplate. I contacted Bell and Carlson, who make the stock for Remington, and they said they can make a floorplate-style duplicate of this stock, but I figure the extra metal adds 1/4-1/3 of a pound, and I'm nervous about losing accuracy with a new bedding job. This is a terrific rifle.

Posts: 231 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In reference to dantec�s post, it has been suggested by some that my velocity issue could be related to the lugs needing adjustment, and with my non-technical eye I can see �cut� or fitting marks on the stock where the rear of the receiver fits into the stock. There may be more that someone with a technical eye would notice. I am in a quandary about messing with the lugs for fear that it will come back less accurate. As to cosmetic issues, after approximately 30 days afield, using trees for support, crawling on sun baked sagebrush flats, and banging the thing around in my truck, it�s irrelevant to me.

Posts: 62 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 16 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kmule;

my friend the recoil pussy is coming up with me on monday to anchorage to shop and party (bush club). onward to kodiak on tuesday to buy fish/ hang out and show him kodiak, wen' fly to uyak bay for guided deer hunt. i am looking for a real bigg one or nothing.

recoil was fairly stout. didn't bother u or me though.

neither of us has shot his r700 tit' since the brake and pad have been put on. i would like to see the difference.

good huntin'

cold zero [Wink]

who could use a break from work

One of Us
posted Hide Post
now i know why i didnot care for the stock, it is a bell and carlson. a floorplate will only make the gun heavier. that is the reason they used the titanium , to lighten it. it is a mtn. gun.

cold zero [Wink]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cold zero:
kmule;

my friend the recoil pussy is coming up with me on monday to anchorage to shop and party (bush club). onward to kodiak on tuesday to buy fish/ hang out and show him kodiak, wen' fly to uyak bay for guided deer hunt. i am looking for a real bigg one or nothing.

recoil was fairly stout. didn't bother u or me though.

neither of us has shot his r700 tit' since the brake and pad have been put on. i would like to see the difference.

good huntin'

cold zero [Wink]

who could use a break from work

Don't forget your tennis shoes if all you have is '06.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mickey1;

i will be taking my .300 w.m. with custom load 180 n.p.. i will not be hunting with the recoil pussy, it is a 1 on 1 hunt.

i don't have to be fast, only one step faster than him, haaaaa.

cold zero [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rowdybones:
Has anyone tried out the Remington 700 titanium? It seems like a good price for a light rifle for sheep, goats, etc... How is the accuracy?

Please don't respond if you are going to bash push feed actions. Thanks.

I would suggest going with a good Mauser or Springfield conversion. If the extra weight matters, just lose a little more weight around your waist and carry a quality action instead of a Remington.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote