THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Outfitter/guide reference for Kodiak

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outfitter/guide reference for Kodiak
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted
We're thinking about visiting my wife's nephew that just returned with his family to the Coast Guard station at Kodiak. I need an outfitter suggestion to check into a blacktail hunt for 2 (the nephew and me) in 2017. I'm ignorant of season dates, etc. Fishing before would be a plus, but if weather doesn't permit, it's no biggy.

If someone exhibits at Dallas Safari Club, I'm planning on attending.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
you can check with my son Taj Shoemaker who runs Island Air service on Kodiak and who also guides. northriverair@hotmail.com or call Island Air 9070385-7213

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the Kodiak blacktail population has recovered pretty well from a brutal winter several years back. I killed two SCI record book size blacktails right there on the Coast Guard base when I was stationed there from 2006-2009. If you go in early August you can get one in velvet. You'll have to climb for them though. Budget enough time to fish when you go too. If your nephew has access to ATVs, get him to take you out to Saltery Cove. God I miss that place. May-October was heaven on earth.

Posts: 78 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some guides may not take you guys since the nephew lives there. Prime way to end up with familiar faces where you guide the following season.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
you can check with my son Taj Shoemaker who runs Island Air service on Kodiak and who also guides. northriverair@hotmail.com or call Island Air 9070385-7213

Phil,

Just saw on the news that an Island Air Beaver (?) crashed on Kodiak today. It said there were some bad injuries. Sorry to hear it, but hope your son is ok.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Yes he is fine, it was one of his pilots flying the Beaver and I hear the pilot, who had the worst injuries, is recovering

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Good to hear he was not involved. Prayers for a speedy recovery for those in the plane.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
Some guides may not take you guys since the nephew lives there. Prime way to end up with familiar faces where you guide the following season.

Understood. 'Still trying to set something up. I apologize, but it's been a while since I was on here.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk with Jeff Peterson of Kodiak combos. I'd here he puts on a good show and you'd have a lot of almost
Private land to hunt that is limited
To who hunts it. He also has fishing and mtn goats around for your resident.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
Talk with Jeff Peterson of Kodiak combos. I'd here he puts on a good show and you'd have a lot of almost
Private land to hunt that is limited
To who hunts it. He also has fishing and mtn goats around for your resident.

Thank you sir. I've emailed Jeff.

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Highly recommend Taj as a pilot & guide

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote