New
Find
Notify
Tools

2007 Brown Bear Success
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here are a couple of pictures of my bear, killed 10/5/07 on the peninsula.

Shot at 125 yards with a Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H with 300 grain Barnes Triple Shock bullets.

Great hunt with multiple opportunities and too many bears to keep count over the 4.5 days prior to the kill; one opportunity passed at 60 yards.

Posts: 184 | Location: Southern Arizona | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
Great Bear
Give us some details. Who were you hunting with. What were you hunting with?
DR B

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The "what" is detailed above. As for the "who," I hunted with Butch King and Brad Adams of Cinder River Lodge. My guide was Jim Bauers. But for the really nasty weather (constant rain and high winds) for the entire 5 days I hunted, I could not have asked for a better experience.

Posts: 184 | Location: Southern Arizona | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
I think the "what" was for rifle,caliber,bullet.
Very nice bear BTW.

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VI-Shooter,

Congratulations, nice bear, give us some more details size etc.

Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shot at 125 yards with a Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H with 300 grain Barnes Triple Shock bullets.

I don't know what the bear squares. We got it fleshed under cover because the weather was so nasty and we never got it outside again to stretch it. I'm guessing right about 9 ft.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice bear, love the color.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What a beauty. A bit surprised to hear that is from the peninsula as it looks like a big mountain grizz...especially the color.

Who cares what it squares after seeing that blonde coat...it's definitely mature with the ears spaced so far out.

What are the taxidermy plans? Was it your first bear?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was my first brown bear. I've taken a few black bears before.

I wholeheartedly agree regarding the size and the color. The bear I passed was likely a bit larger in body, but not the skull. When I saw this bear I really didn't give a thought to size. I knew it was mature and that if I could pull off the stalk from over 2 miles away I was going to take it.

I am VERY happy with my decision.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good for you. Don't get into all of the hype about what something squares. Those numbers can be fudged anyway. I am curious what the skull scores but just for curiousity's sake.

That's as nice a bear as you can hope for color wise and quality of fur...and just fantastic for a first bear. Congrats again.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An AK Trooper flew into the main camp before I left and sealed the bear for me. When doing so he took a tooth for aging and calipered the skull. It was 24" even. I'm looking forward to getting the post card with the age information.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Bear!

Congrats,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
please post the age info here when you hear back. I'd be interested to know. He is a beauty indeed.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VI-Shooter:
When I saw this bear I really didn't give a thought to size. I knew it was mature and that if I could pull off the stalk from over 2 miles away I was going to take it.

I am VERY happy with my decision.

That's what I like to hear! Nice job, and gorgeous bruin.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote