THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Driving to Alaska to hunt & fish - Where? What? How?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driving to Alaska to hunt & fish - Where? What? How?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
One of my hunting partners just decided today that he is going to take 3 months, Jul-Sept, off of work and girlfriend and head up to Alaska for fishing and hunting. It's nice to be that footloose, I asked where he was planning to go, and he indicated finding all that out is 1/2 the fun.

He'll be driving a 4wd truck with Camper and towing trailer with an ATV and probably a small boat. I told him I thought a plane was the only way to get in to most of the areas but I certainly don't know.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated - I'd like to help him with some of that 1/2 the fun stuff.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I would go to the Kenai Peninsula during that time. Salmon fish during July and August and buy a moose tag for September.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go to North Pole, Alaska.......the hunting and fishing are much better up there!!!!!! Big Grin

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go fishing in Valdez alaska for Pinks and Silvers and take a halibut charter.I would moose hunt in unit 20d .It has the most moose of anywhere in the state.I just drove back through Montana and crossed at Sweetgrass mt.They were nice there at the border.You need to get firearms permits for Canada before you go.Dont forget to leave your handguns at home Canada wont let you bring them.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ironbender
posted Hide Post
Kenai Peninsula closes June 15th.
I think the mountains of california would be nice that time of year!

hmmmm...that actually sounds good

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.

Posts: 113 | Location: In the shadow of the Kenai mountains. | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ironbender
You call those mountains?? Roll Eyes I've driven thru there and I did'nt see any. Wink

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ironbender
posted Hide Post
but seriously...

There are lots of places to go even with a three month window. Southeast is great-salmon and halibut out of almost any port--perhaps "drive" the marine highway (ferry system). Kenai is wonderful, truthfully! Halibut is probably best out of Homer and then Seward. Kings (Chinook) and Reds (sockeye) in the Kenai River. Sightseeing cruises out of Seward, or from the east side of Prince William Sound (PWS) out of Valdez. check with fishing shops when you get here about road-fishing. Fly out of Anchorage for a Caribou hunt.

There is more to see/do than can be done in three months, IMHO. Logistics are another thing!!! Bring more money than you think you need--it's spendy up here! Wink

Call back when you have specifics. Get the Milepost travelguide.

--Mike

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.

Posts: 113 | Location: In the shadow of the Kenai mountains. | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This may be overstating the obvious, but have him download a copy of the Hunting and Fishing Regs before heading out and make sure they understand them. Some places are drawing only, some areas are "non-motorized", etc...

It's a big state, but small road system. Just because it's the "Last Frontier" doesn't mean it doesn't have regs and the fin and fur cops love to enforce them.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Don't forget about the Canuks and their lovely set of gun laws, besure to study up and no pistols.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips - He'll check the websites and knows at least one resident for first hand info.

I'll have to remind him about the canadian pistol ban. He asked what I thought about a sidearm for fishing in Bear country. I guess I'll tell him to trust to pepper spray becuase he doesn't have a choice.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
One thing he might look into is UPSing his pistol to a FFL where he is going. Then picking it up at the other end of his road trip.

Hog Killer

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember if you're hunting Sheep, Goat or Bear, you'll need a guide. Any other critter requires a fat checkbook for non-resident tags. Enjoy.

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
specneeds,

Check with the Canadians as one of the officers told me last trip through there that they allowed handguns to be transported through to Alaska with a relatively new form so.......also a guide is required for brown bear, not black bear...........a good suggestion above is to read the F&G regs then read them again.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coming to Alaska just for such a long vacation sounds great, specially if you can afford it. Lots of people do that each year. They drive their RV, park at one of the numerous campgrounds throughout Alaska, drive a smaller vehicle around, and then start driving South by mid September.

In you friend's case, I would come to Alaska by mid June, and leave by mid September, since that's the time when the moose season closes. The problem would be trying to figure out how to freeze the meat should he kill a moose or other game, and how to get it back home. However, he can always freeze some, eat some, and donate the rest, since there are local organizations, churches, etc. that accept the meat to feed folks at the home shelters, or to feed whoever needs it.

He should be able to catch some salmon and other fish, most of which he can eat or freeze. There are places in the Kenai Peninsula where the season my close early for one species, but it may stay open for other species. The season for Kings ends in early June I think, but by then the reds and silvers are coming in.

I would travel to the Kenai Peninsula and Seward, and also to Valdez. Then for hunting, by the end of August and the beginning of September, I would try off the Parks Highway, or other roads around Alaska. There is also black bear hunting during the summer (I would check the regs. on that).

Even if he does not catch any fish, or if he kills game, the experience will be expensive, but unforgettable. Alaska will create everlasting and happy memories once you experience them.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hog Killer
The frickin lovely set of gun laws you spoke about... are the canadian govts. NOT the canadian peoples they were rammed down our throats by the bygone dictator/Prime minister and bear no resembalance to any real legislation and Canuck is spelt with a "C".
There I have vented and now I feel better! gunsmile

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
WestCoaster,

If the old PM/Dick-a-tater is gone, why do you still have his old laws choking your freedoms? bewildered Roll Eyes

Bad laws can be reversed. It can be done. I wish you and the rest of the Canucks the best on getting rid of your bad gun laws.

Hog Killer