Find
Notify
Tools

Boat for Alaska Rivers.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,

I want a boat that I can use on the Alaskan River system. I saw one the other day, but I can't remember where, that looked like an aluminum skiff. It had a cabin in the middle, and a lowering ramp to facilitate off load on shore I'd guess. It was flat bottom I believe.

I don't want to use an inflatable. I'd rather use a flat or v aluminum. Although I like the wooden skiff project I saw on here. Does a wooden skiff hold up on Alaskan waters?

I plan on accessing the Copper eventually. But have read that it is very rough. Any experience on the Copper river via a boat?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I will mostly be hunting (hauling game) and camping with it. I plan on inserting into some areas by water. Then humping to and from the kill.

Am I way off base? I already have a 24' Bayliner, with a 350 inboard, and a canvas tent attachment. Can I use this for intercoastal fishing? What about intercoastal Brownie hunting?

Or are there any good big bodies of water near within driving distance from Anchorage to enjoy? Any hunting on or near them that I can use this boat to access?

I don't want to pull it all the way to Alaska just to look at it in my driveway.

Oh, yeah... I just leased a home on Donna Drive, just south of the AFB. It is gorgeous! So I am coming up one way or the other! beer

Thanks

CG

Posts: 197 | Location: alaska | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ceg1963: I do not own a boat, so you are way ahead of me (but I do spend a lot of time in boats it seems, hunting and fishing)..I used to go down to the Copper River to dipnet reds..and I will tell you..the Copper River is a beast. It is dangerous...but what isn't? Others will have to give you advice on that...but a sturdy aluminium boat with a big engine would be a starting point. Folks use Lunds on the Copper River and they are a light but tough boat. The best boats are big and made of welded aluminium. Fort Rich rents boats (some really nice big ones) but they will not let you take them on the Copper River..From what I have seen that river will beat the crap out of any boat you use on it. But, what are boats for?

Your 24 footer I bet would be a real asset up here. There is lots of water...the Gulf of Alaska, Prince William Sound, Cook Inlet.

In good weather and with good navigation software that 24' boat will serve you well enough. But that is true with any boat.

You are well on your way.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out King Salmon Marine and their Transporter River boat, they are tough as hell and are made for alaska rivers. They are made out in the Valley somewhere, if you want their # let me know & I'll get it for you.

Your bayliner will do fine for PWS, just keep an ear to the weather report.

-Ron

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Campou's, in Fairbanks, sells an all welded aluminum boat for shallow rivers. This boat is ideal for hunting in some of the interior rivers in September. By then the water drops quite a lot, and most boats won't make it back home. It's not a big boat, maybe 20', and it was designed so one can load an ATV on it. I believe it costs around $28,000 or so.

Other than that, you will see the following boats around here: Grayling, Alumaweld, Almar. etc. All are all welded aluminum, some have outboard jet motors, while most have onboard 8-cylinder motors, and a few 6-cylinder motors.

A few boats are made in Alaska, but most are made in Oregon.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ceg,

Check out atechmarine.com and I think you'll find the boats you describe in your first paragraph.....Atec Marine is located between Kenai and Kasiloff on K Beach Road about 150mi South of Anchorage. Quite a few in use down here on the South end of the peninsula.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about intercoastal Brownie hunting?

The problem with bear hunting from a boat like that is what happens after you spot the bear. You'll not likely beach that boat, not often anyhow. Maybe once. Smiler So you'll need a raft to get to shore. IF it's just two of you, and you should go ashore with a buddy when bear hunting, then you'll have to anchor the Bayliner. That takes time and is noisy. Better to have three people so one can stay with the big boat while the other two hit the raft and get to shore.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest spending some time up here to see exactly what rivers you want to run before getting a boat for them. You may find you'll be trailering the boat for 100's of miles over some possibly rough roads to get to the rivers you want to run, and might find a jon boat with a jet pump o/d will be easier to trailer and will fit your needs fine.

I'd ask why you want to run the Copper. I've dipped the copper for years, and it is a fast and treacherous river. I now dip on the Kenai, shorter drive, bigger fish and no steep cliffs to hike down. I see all sorts of boats being run down it, but to each their own.

Your 24' bayliner will be very useful going out of Whitier, Seward and Homer. There is Sitka Blacktail hunting on some of the islands in Prince William sound as well as black and brown bears. Best of all is fishing and shrimping.

I think that is my wooden boat project you mentioned, and yes it will hold up in Alaska, it is an Alaskan design and has been used up here for over 20 years. That said, it isn't the ideal design for a river, having been designed for the salt. I have debated building a second one as an open skiff and running an 90 horse jet pump o/b. The Tolman has been used on some amazing trips around the state though, so I'd say it is a well proven design. http://www.nas.com/boat/home.html check out the skippers tale and http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/s/vintage/sbj/016/

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ceg1963

I lived in Alaska a long time and I definitely would not recommend you bring the Bayliner unless you are positive you will be spending a load of time on the salt water. Spend a little time up there and figure out what you really want to do before investing in a boat.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12934 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BW, great point. Thanks.

Paul, great looking project. Maybe it will be something to tacle in the garage on those colder days up there. How long did it take to build?

Mark, I already have the boat, its 24' and was wondering if I should sell it here (Ft Benning) or drag to Anchorage.

I will get another boat to work better in Alaska, for hunting & camping.

The Copper River looks to hold alot of brown bear. Its accessable to me from anchorage.

Any good tips on where to look for rivers to hunt withing 200 miles of Anchorage?

Thanks to all.

CG

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've been working on the boat for about 1 1/2 years, though more of that time has been not working on the boat then working on it. To date for this year I've probably worked on it a dozen evenings at most, and a few days here and there. Something about kids activities and other commitmentst that have taken up my boat building time.

If you build it as an open skiff, one could start in October and have it on the water the following spring with little problem. There is a guy in Anchorage that is making kits http://skiffkits.com/ and that saves alot of time, but they weren't available when I started building. One buy banged one out in 93 days, but the finish was a bit rough. If you want to build with a cuddy cabin, pilothouse and other features, it will easlily double the construction time of a basic open skiff.

I'm building my boat for saltwater and larger lakes, and use canoes on smaller lakes and small lake systems. I'm personally more interested in running those areas, so if I were in your shows, I'd bring up your boat. You might want to look at http://www.adn.com in the classifieds to get an idea of what used boats go for. I don't know what the market is like down there, but you might make more money selling the boat up here. At least you'd have the boat, and could see if it will fit your needs or not.

One option for hunting the copper would be launch out of whittier, run up port wells, and then run the Copper from the mouth on op.

posted Hide Post
I agree with the advice to wait until you find out what areas and bodies of water interest you. Given enough time and financial irresponsibilty, it is likely that you will end up with a small fleet. At this point I own a large riverboat that was chosen for a very specific type of river and an embarassingly large number of canoes, both motorized and not, ranging from a 14' rat canoe to a 24' freighter. Still need a smaller river skiff.

Posts: 9 | Location: Chugiak, Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ceg

If it was me knowing what I know now after 22 years in the bush up there I would sell the Bayliner. If you are emotional attached put it in storage.

If you do sell the boat you'll have more bucks to get out to the real Alasaka. Anywhere you can drive to from Anchorage you'll be fighting the crowds. Save your bucks and get out to the bush a couple times a year.

Alaska is a wonderful place but a tough place for a guy to access the wonders unless he is committed and can put a few bucks into the effort.

If you lived in the bush a boat would really help you get into some unspoiled country. Out of Anchorage you'll have fun but there will be lots of people.

I can give you some names of fly out services if you'd like. I have no financial ties to these outfits but I do know who is good and who is marginal. Send me a regular e-mail and I'll send you some info.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12934 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I'm still impressed with your skiff. It looks great in real life too!

Brian

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
CG,

I just realized you may be referring to my skiff...

...or maybe not, as the cabin is not located in the middle.

Anyhow, this is a good bear hunting boat for saltwater. While I've run it through some river like channels (due to tides swings) it's not what I consider a river boat.

Brian

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Example of bear hunting and me lil'boat... Smiler

Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who responded. I have the 24 footer and will tow it for now, besides the army pays for the trip so its not too bad.

Then, i'll wait out and see what to do next. i am so very anxious! I can't sleep at night!

BW I love that assault landing craft look. It looks to be very functional.

CG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ceg1963:
Thanks to all who responded. I have the 24 footer and will tow it for now, besides the army pays for the trip so its not too bad.

Then, i'll wait out and see what to do next. i am so very anxious! I can't sleep at night!

BW I love that assault landing craft look. It looks to be very functional.

CG

What others have said, about waiting, is an excellent idea.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Are you taking the Alaska Marine Highway System (the ferry?)

I would, if bringing the boat. I'd do the Bellingham to Juneau, Juneau to Seward (the 'cross gulf' run), and then drive up to Anchortown from there. Driving the Alcan is an adventure, but adding a 24ft boat, with the accompaning trailer failures is not my idea of a good time.

BTW, Bayliner Trophys are a 'dime-a-dozen' in these parts, and are not the most well thought of hulls out there. Just so you know, and aren't expecting to make some money off the deal. These days Ospreys, Parkers, and Sea Sports rule the fiberglass cabin cruiser market for quality and ride. But most folks are switching to aluminum as budgets allow.

Not trying to change your mind, or disparage your boat mind you. Just letting you know that in the very unforgiving waters up here quality counts, a lot. To add insult to injury, gas I/O's and outdrives aren't favorites either. If it's not diesel, then the next best bet is an outboard.

Okay, now that I've insulted your boat to no end (at least I didn't kick your dog Smiler) I will say 'Welcome to Alaska!'. Smiler I got my start up here in 1987 as active-duty Army (67T20) at Ft Wainwright. That's back when it was the 6th ID. Now both Forts look deserted when I drive through them. That's a good thing though...

Brian

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Brian,

The guys not even here yet and you insult his boat. You did give him the truth though, and the same opinions are held are held in Southcentral as Southeast. I don't know what used prices are down South, but when a co-worker was looking for a used boat, he found that in Washington state, prices were much lower then in Alaska for comporable boats.

Depending on the age and condition of his boat, he might be able to sell it and have enough to build a 24' Jumbo Tolman with cuddy and pilothouse. He would get a great new boat, configured exactly how he wants it and his fuel consumption would roughly be cut in 1/2. Considering most folks running a boat of his size with an i/o are burning 100 or more gallons on a day trip, that fuel savings really adds up.

There are several folks in Anchorage with completed Jumbos, and I'd be more then happy to get you hooked up to check out there boats.

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Ft Benning is a looong ways off! Smiler Things are cheaper in that part of the country, so perhaps he could make a good profit on his boat? Certainly would make some for shipping, as Uncle Sam is paying for that (and that's fine by me.)

Around here, the trailer would be worth good money! I paid $3400 for a new EZ Loader for my skiff, and that's because there are no used ones for sale.

So... maybe sell the boat, keep the trailer, add some plywood floors on it, load it up and add that weight to your DITY move money, then sell the trailer and by a new boat/trailer combo when you get here. Smiler

Brian

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I have two boats a Gruman Frighter Canoe 19' with a lift and 9.9HP Merc. and a 22' Wooldridge Alaskan with 105 Jet......very happy with my set-ups.

http://www.wooldridgeboats.com

Unless you are experienced boater....copper river can be dangerous.....yukon river would suit you better.

Retired Army!

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bush Man,

Hooah! I'll be retired myself in 1.4 years! thumb

Did the Army take you to Alaska, or was you living there before the Army? Where bouts are you located in AK? I'll be in Anchorage 2 years, then on retirement, in the bush, hopefully.

As compared to an outboard... does the jet propulsion system for a flat/V bottom alluminum boat 22' cost alot? Is it hard to install, or does it come pre-rigged from factory?

What about fuel consumption compared to an outboard? What's the draft? Can you get into shallower creeks better?

Thanks to all.

CG

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I think he is using an o/b, with a jet foot attached. O/b jet pumps are about 70% effecient, so you have to run a bigger powerhead to get the same performance as a prop, though the upside is running shallower water, and not destroying props on sandbars.

The newer o/b's, both 4 strokes and direct inject 2 strokes are fairly fuel efficient, but say you run a 150 horse head to get 105 at the jet, and you'll be sucking 6+ gallons per hour, but thats better then the inboards that suck 10 gph or more.

It's pretty easy to burn $100 worth of gas in a day with a medium sized boat, the biggers boats will suck well over $200 a day. If you're going to fuel up on a village along a remote river, then fuel will be about 2 1/2 times as much.