Find
Notify
Tools

Mammut champ pant
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted
anybody have any ideas on somewhere to find a good selection of these pants? Have been searching the internet and most places have 1 or 2 sizes, only black, sizes also seem to be fairly difficult as they are listed differently on different sites. Any help would be appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Barney's Sports Chalet in Anchroge. I own two pairs. Difficult to size unless in person. There's a chart for sizing. Basicly you take your waist and inseam measurements look them up on a chart and it corresponds to a number. That number is "your size". Also they aren't the most friendly for our larger waisted breatherin. Basicly a tight cut mountain climbing pant. Westcomb Syncro is another good one. A little lighter weight, but a great pant.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth......take a look at SportHill 3SP pants,shirts and jackets. They are on sale right now. Good stuff.

If it can't take it......it can't stay.

Posts: 62 | Location: Longview, Tx | Registered: 21 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
505:
I don't have the Mammut pants you ask about but I do have the Westcomb's that Brett mentions. I even got them @ Barney's in June.
In short, I haven't tried them in the field yet but will on the sheep hunt we are going on in about a week. When I was at the store, the clerk highly recommended these and said that the owner (as I recall) had outfitted the crew that were building a lodge for him. The clerk said these were hell for stout and had given absolutely no problems.
I had to get my pair hemmed since I have relatively short legs but that was no problem. I'm extremely touchy as to the gear I take into the bush but I'm willing to give these a shot. If for some reason I find they don't work, I'm gonna comment on it. One word to note, they are kinda spendy but from looking at their construction, I think I'd give 'em a chance.
Good luck, Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
B in F,

Very stout. They are my favorite all around outdoor pants. I love the westcombs!!! Champs are a little heavier than the Westcombs, so on a colder hunt I might give them the thumbs up. Barney's also sells Sporthill 3sp pants. They are great all around hunting pant for Alaska as they are warm and dry extremely fast. They are a bit warm for my taste as a mountain pant though. One nice thing about the Westcomb is they are darn near water proof!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 pair of the Champs, 2 gray and 1 black. I bought them from Climbhigh Outlet at various times and at various prices. Overall, I've found Climbhigh to be among the cheapest. You have to be patient, cuz the selection comes and goes, depending on stock.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the info guys, I am going to start working on this tomorrow evening.
Brad

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Brad,

Please call if you want to talk about some of the items I mentioned.

Brett

330-429-2762

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
on a side note the Sitka Ascent pants i won't pay money for again. holes in the ankles where the reinforcment is from rubbin' together...maybe 10 hunts on them...not cool for 175 bucks...

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Mammut Champ pants in Black. I also have the 3SP, which are also excellent. I think I prefer the Champ pants.

I bought them on the internet. Can't remember the name of the site. What I do remember was that I bought them and then there was a big sale the next day, i called to say you charged my card, but did not ship them until the next day, so shouldn't get the sale price? NO.

Good pants, lousy vendor.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
FYI....My absolute favorite pant hands down is the Westcomb Syncro.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson