New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Rifle????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hope you can help. My brother in Australia has asked me for an opinion on what rifle to take to Alaska. My forte is handguns so I would ask if youcould please give some feedback.He asks" If you were to pick a single rifle as a survival/emergency tool to carry in a light plane (compulsory in Alaska) to protect from bear, and maybe to shoot caribou/moose (food), what would you pick?

Specifications:
as light as practicable (keep aircraft load weight low)
reasonably priced (one time use only)
neither auto or semi-auto

Is there a under/over combination that would work well for the above, and also allow small game (eg. rabbit, fox) ?
Or do these tend to be considerably more expensive?

I know its a bit of an ask for such a range of applications, but I ask you for some help.

Thanks from down-under.
Peter.

ihmsakiwi

Posts: 41 | Location: new zealand | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd just find a decent 30-06 in syn/stainless and call it good.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.338 win mag!

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I would also pick the 30/06 because:

1. If you want a cheap high power rifle, your options will probably be the likes of 30/06 or 270 Win.

2. It will do it all. It's good for moose and bear. If you use it on a rabbit, better take a head shot or there will not be much left to eat (if that's your intention). If you're going to use it on fox, I'd suggest a solid if you don't want a huge hole in the hide.

3. You can get a 30/06 in a light rifle and the recoil will still be tolerable.

As far as Alaska is concerned, there has to be a gun on the airplane but not all in the airplane has to have their own gun. As far as brand is concerned, a Savage would probably be the best value. You could also buy a used gun.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
338 Win Mag!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Well, what about the Alaskan Copilot by Wild West Guns in 45-70? They are light (especially with the kevlar stocks), compact (as they are take-downs), and powerful. They are not cheap. But in a survival situation in Alaska, cheap is not the way to go. They are also available right there in Anchorage. I stopped by there when I was on my hunting trip this past September and was impressed with their products.

If not that, a Kimber Montana in .308 with Tally lightweight mounts and Leupold lightweight 2.5x fixed scoped would be my next choice as you should be able to get the entire package under 6 pounds.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Remington 12 gauge Marine Magnum. It will hold 7 rounds and you can include slugs and bird shot.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H&R Handi Rifle in 45-70 or 30-06 @ 7 lbs should be a good keep in the plane survival gun dancing

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I'd pick the 30-06, ammo is readily available just about everywhere and it will put down anything you encounter in Alaska with the right bullet placement.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I,m kind of suprised at you guys............I think there was alot of knee jerk for pet caliber rather than reading the question ,, with the execption of one..............A light weight survival gun that is also able to take small game.......{ I would recomend a NEF Handi Rifle in 45/70 ... Iron sights , as handyness and compact ness are very important....I would make up some # 6 shot loads for it and use a 350 gr bullet load for everything else....Load it to 1800-1900 fps with the 350 gr bullet and 1050 fps w/the shot load.. Seal all primers and case mouths so it is submerge , water pruf...2nd I would choose a guide gun in 45/70 or 450 marlin and make upa shot load for it also....... make up 20 rounds of each to have with and double vacume seal them ...... Take the rifle out and practice up with it and get to know it well and it should work very good .....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Sorry Red lander I went past yours too fast .....2 thot ful replies ...........Now please don,t every one start a squable !!!!!!!!!I,ve shot the heads off a number of ptarmigan and sprucegrouse with an 06 but a shot load will work better and the 350 gr 458 bullet is better on bear than the 308 bullet ... 338 is good for genral purpose big game , but I would still go w/ the handi or guide gun ..

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marlin 1895G Guide Gun.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Mossberg Mod 590A1 with the ghost ring sights, parkerized finish, steel triggerguard and speedfeed stock.

Have the barrel backbored and lengthen the forcing cones, thread for the hidden in-barrel chokes.

The 3 inch mag slugs make an unreal sized hole, and you can group easily at 100 yards. With the chokes you can carry some birdshot.

I have this set-up I carried while doing wildlife surveys on the Lower Kuskokwim River. It is light, handy and you can have 8 shells in the magazine and four in the speedfeed stock. If you want lots of selection, you can add a 6 shell side-saddle shell carrier that mounts on the side of the receiver.

Shotgun should cost you about $400.00 and the mods another $200.00 and you have a wonderful and flexible rig for serious work.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say the 270 Win. Its light and can shoot the 130 gr bullet pretty fast.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jro45:

Confused bewildered

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The handi rifle with a couple barrels or a T/C Encore or contnder set up like a carbine with 45/70 and 20ga barrel or 375 JDJ or 45/70 barrel and 410 barrel for the condender.

When broke down they would fit inside a small compact flat case that wouldn't take up too much room and would be very versatile in a survival situaition.

I would probably go with a G2 Contender with 22lr barrel and compact scope along with iether the 375 JDJ or 45/70 barrel with compact scope with synthetic stock, then I would stuff a small survival kit into the hollowed out syntetic butstock. You can get water proof matches, fishing line and hooks, small length of small diamter high strength cord, signal mirror and one ofthose foil survival blankets. I would probably choose one of the super braided lines of pretty substantial strength that could double as a snare for smaller animals. That should all easily fit inside the butstock cavity.

After typing this I see that the encore now has rimefire barrels available so that would be even a more versatile option. Probably go with the encore with 375 H&H and 22 rimfire and penty of ammo for each kept in a compact flat case.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ihmsakiwi:
Hope you can help. My brother in Australia has asked me for an opinion on what rifle to take to Alaska. My forte is handguns so I would ask if youcould please give some feedback.He asks" If you were to pick a single rifle as a survival/emergency tool to carry in a light plane (compulsory in Alaska) to protect from bear, and maybe to shoot caribou/moose (food), what would you pick?

Specifications:
neither auto or semi-auto

Is there a under/over combination that would work well for the above, and also allow small game (eg. rabbit, fox) ?
Or do these tend to be considerably more expensive?

I know its a bit of an ask for such a range of applications, but I ask you for some help.

Thanks from down-under.
Peter.
Combination gun? Remington SPR94. http://www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/spr/smsil_spr94.jpg.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Purchase a non-custom, non-magnum rifle and if possible in a synthetic stock. A Remington bolt action in a .35 Whelen.

My first choice is a .338-06 but that can only come in a custom nowadays.

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
For a light weight, inexpensive, one time use gun, the Savage 24V 30-30 over 20 ga. would be my choice. If that caliber combo doesn't suit you, there are others to choose from, but the 30-30/20 ga. should handle everything large or small.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I would get the savage 24 in 30-30/ 12 guage for this application. They make one with synthetic stocks and it easily breaks down in to a barrel section and a butt section.

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Here's another vote for the Savage 24 V 30-30-/12 ga, if cost is a high consideration! However I'd be prone to spend a little more money on a gun for survival! I'd still go with a combo gun, but I'd rather have something like a Valmet/TIKKA/finnclassic O/U, with a 12ga,and 9.3X74R, with a supply of slugs, good soft point ammo for the 9.3, and shot shells for birds.

In a survival sittuation, you are likely to kill more Tparmagin than anything else, but the rifle will handle anything Alaska has to offer, and the 12 ga brenneke slugs, will as well.
An insert for the 12 ga for 22 lr will do for ground squirrels, and porkypines. with this gun you have all bases covered as far as a survival fire arm goes. With a small survival packet, with a pair of space blankets,fishline and hooks, and parachute cord,in your Parka pocket, and a belt knife, at all times, and this rifle/shotgun combo you've got a shot at survival, even in some pritty bad weather, if you don't panic. An emergancy locater beakon is not a bad investment either!

A big bore rifle without the other things may get you some meat, and a green hide turned wet side out, and hair side in, to keep you warm, and dry, the hide, and meat also attracts bears while you try to sleep at night, because you smell quite like a free meal to a big brownie! Eeker

Survival in the Alaska tundra is a very serious thing, that shouldn't be taken lightly. The land alone can kill you as dead as a doornail, if you panic, or get in a spot without some sort of shelter, from the wind, and rain. beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I couldn,t agree with Mac D37 any more but one of the stipulations was affordable cost ...The 45/70 will tend to bring a faster conclusion to the meat getting problem than a 30/30... If it takes 3 shots to do what 1 shot could ,, the extra effort could cost your life....The 9.3x74 R is in the same league as the 45/70 , but tend to cost much more..The more bear and wolf hide acqumulated in a survival situation the better...The more meat you can easily eat the more heat your body will make and the more you will be able to do ... Fish doesn,t make heat like meat and fat does...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Specifications:
neither auto or semi-auto"

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but here goes.....Too bad he doesn't want a semi-auto
Kel Tec

I have never been to a village in Alaska that didn't have a Ruger Mini-14 slung over the back of an Alaskan Native! They use a .223 to kill everything...

If I had to choose a lite weight rifle to carry in a plane that "May" be used for survival, but was going to more or less be hauled around with the rest of the gear then it would be a Keltec! Just my $.02....

Flame On! 2020

- Clint

Posts: 35 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 22 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alaskacajun,
Remember, he's from Oz, probably wants to keep the rifle. No semi-autos allowed there.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I figured that was the reason... Wink

- Clint

Posts: 35 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 22 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
One of those new SOCOM M14s. with a 2-7 in a Springield mount.

In a floating case with 6 to 8 mags of 308 soft points of reasonablly good quality.

Works for potections!

Can shoot ptarmigan in th head with it.

Will kill anything that walks in Alaska, ok so you may fire a few shots but you have them!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thebear_78:
quote:
Originally posted by jro45:

Confused bewildered

Yeah, that technical terminology sure is confusing. Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose each here have there own idea of a survival firearm. Under any adverse condition I would opt of the Ruger Zytel stocked SS .30-06-I own one. It is light, tough, accurate and reliable-can carry it even in a Super Cub ha.
Ptarmigan are every where most likely but so are black bear and they eat really good most anytime. Don't forget to carry around some monofilament and a #0 red/white Mepp, some rabbit snare and ..........

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.....With the mini 14 I think the correct term is ,,,usually ,,,,,wound until they die while driveing a snogo.............

One of Us
posted Hide Post
........seen it around here to gumboot--or a couple of AR's..sometimes it works out fine but not my choice either.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D99
The short M1-A is not a bad choice, but he said no semi-auto and low price.

With those requirements I would look at a marlin 45/70 guide gun in Stainless.

For me, my lightweight carry it if you need it gun, would be Blaser Tracker Synthentic in 375 H&H as I already have it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
What are you hunting, what is the purpose of the rifle, what are your plans, and we can give you more appropiate input!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joel/AK:
I'd just find a decent 30-06 in syn/stainless and call it good.

exactly.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote