Find
Notify
Tools

Bears and berrys
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
Friend and I have a chance to head to Chisana on 30 Aug for a last minute hunt with Terry Overly's Pioneer Outfitters; north east side of the Wrangells. We wish to focus on interior Grizzly and if possible, Dall sheep. Terry says the berrys this year are quite prevelant thus the bears should be too. Can anyone veryify if the berrys are indeed quite prevalent in this area.

Anything, good or bad to say about the outfitter or the area?

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Chisana is in a remote part of Alaska and the odds of finding someone from that area online is probably not very good. I can tell you this though, the blueberry crop is popping up as I write this and it looks to be a good one. So odds are that what you heard about Chisana is probably pretty close to true. Maybe you can contact Terry via phone and see what he has to say. Pioneer Outfitters has been around a long time and they take some nice animals.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ha, I know which hunt you bought! And I had a hard time convincing myself not to take it...
Hope you have fun, let us know how it goes!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been a good berry year.

Posts: 34 | Location: North Pole Alaska | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
//............Very good berry crop in the Matanuska Glacier area...Over to Glennallen also......Hope you have a Great time and get a good bear...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Berries appear to be prevalent almost everywhere this year!

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of berries and the Overlys have been in the business a long time with many good reports. I believe they often use horses instead of walking in.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote