Find
Notify
Tools

?? Calling all wolves
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
Has anyone here had any success calling wolves. On a regular basis. If so, what did u use for.a call?
Thanks.

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Try a coyote call as Wolves don't like coyotes in their area.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4201 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Ditto on what Phil said!!

I've got a Wildlife Technologies Caller and have never got to get a wolf with-in shooting range. On the other hand with ancient Fox-Pro we called in a wolves numerous times while sheep hunting in the Wrangells using various coyote calls. If I were to do it again an old beater fox-pro from e-bay would get the nod.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a fox pro, use it for fox and have some fun with the ravens.

We live up the end of the Taylor and see wolves all the time when caribou are here; got 3 back in Sept. If you sit down where caribou are coming through, you will see wolves.

Head out nabessna road, sportsmans paradise, see ole fredricks. Ride snowmachines out towards jacksina glacier, between copper & Tanada lakes, and on the other side of road that trail that heads out towards tetlin from nabessna road. You will see wolves as usually there are caribou there during the winter.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Wow thanks. The Nelchina herd has been crossing in the Myers. LAKE. area.
I missed a fox up in the Postage Stamp on the Denali. Hwy.when. I was following.it's tracks checking for blood I came across.a bull bou's tracks. There was a single set of wolf tracks on top of the bou tracks

.Looked like they had been thru a couple hours earlier. ..I've heard of that area off the Nebesna Rd. I need a new snogo. Cool. I can play with my coyote calls. Thanks again.

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wife and I had taught at Mentasta about a dozen years back. It was hard on my 12 year old son, being only White boy; so we spent every weekend riding out Sportsmans Paradise which is a great place. Fredricks has a bar/lodge and cabins 20 miles in at Copper Lake; we really had a good time there. Heard & saw wolves; lots of kills all over the place; caribou everywhere (jan feb Mar apr). You'll see wolves out there for sure.

Sometimes I regret not staying there, as at the time, they needed a teacher at small school, but it was near highway & the lodge was 29 miles down the road.

We'd fish for lakers & burbot at daylight & dusk and ride all day long. Go and explore wind on the water on tanada. It's fallen into disrepair but after you read the book, kinda cool to look the place over yourself on snowmachine.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote