New
Find
Notify
Tools

Second time's a charm on BB
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just back from the Sand Point area on the AK Peninsular with Deltana Outfitters. This was our second trip to the Peninsular. The first was 4 years ago and ended unsuccessfully. My daughter, Holly, who was 4 months pregnant at the time, swore she wouldn’t return due to the brutal weather.

Four years, and 3 daughters later (twins the second time), the pain seemed to have subsided. When I called her from SCI Vegas to ask her what hunt she would like to book, there was no hesitation. “I reee-ally want a big bear” was her immediate response. Fortunately, Deltana had one opening for the spring and I booked Holly, with me as an observer, the same day.

We departed Ft. Lauderdale on May 11, overnighted in ANC, then on to Sand Point on May 12. We were greeted at the Sand Point airport by Jim Weidner, one of the owners, and were taken to a local B&B which served as their headquarters for the hunting season. After the paperwork was complete, Holly checked the sighting on her RCM 375 at the local dump. We were told later that her ¾” group was the best of the season. Needless to say, I was quite proud.

We proceeded to the airport and were met by the pilots who would be flying us to our spike camp. Having loaded our bags into two well maintained Super Cubs, owned by Deltana, we were off to spike camp. The anticipation of the hunt was unreal.

(to be continued)

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't leave us hanging...... Frowner

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And ............... coffee

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We spent 7 days looking for bears without sighting a single bear. The weather went from sunny to 55 kt sustained winds with sleet, rain, and snow. 36 hours straight in a tent is not fun. The only complaint, however, from Holly was that we ran out of reading material. On the seventh day it was decided to move us to another camp where a 10’+ bear was feeding on a previous bear kill. Ironically, after Holly was flown to the new camp and just as our guide, Chad, and I lifted off, a 9 ½’ bear showed up on the beach about a ½ mile from camp. Murphy’s Law was hard at work.

We settled into the new camp, anticipating the next day when we could begin hunting. The next morning we high tailed it to the bear carcass but, alas, nobody was home. The weather deteriorated throughout the day and we endured 30 kt winds, rain , and sleet for the better part of 9 hours.

About 5 PM Chad sighted a bear and off we went. We were able to get into a good position ahead of the bear and when it came into range the guide told Holly it was a good bear. With that, Holly needed no further prodding. Her first shot was a miss, but the second was right in the boiler room and she added two more into the vitals as the bear made it’s escape attempt.

Upon reaching the bear, we realized that the bear was not as big as Chad had thought. In fact, it turned out to be an 8’6” sow. With what we had endured with the weather, however, Holly was satisfied with the bear. It has a beautiful coat with dark brown legs, blonde highlights on it’s back and long, long hair. Holly is already making plans to return in four years for a rematch with her goal, a 10 footer. I’m blessed to have a daughter who still enjoys hunting with me, and to have a son in law who, although he does not hunt, encourages Holly in her quest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Daniel,

Happy hunter and a beautiful bear. How nice for you to be able to take your daughter on this adventure. That Peninsula weather has to be seen to be appreciated.

Congrats!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13011 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your bear Holly

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
very nice bear!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Congrats, that's a great looking bear and your smile says it all.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pretty bear, congrats to the little lady!! did brett fly you guys in? looks like his cub...

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett was one of the pilot's, Jake. He said he would be flying you out in June. Not his plane, though. The planes belonged to Deltana.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
guess alot fo them cubs look alike these days...been in one....been in them all...

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the bear.... I had success with Deltana on a fall hunt..

How'd Ralph and Jim treat ya?

Posts: 59 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 08 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ralph was unable to be at base camp due to some health concerns. Jim, and the rest of the crew, were great. I'd recommend Deltana to anyone. They are not the cheapest, but their service is excellent and they have an exclusive guide area. So, there is no competition from other outfitters, as happens in some areas of the peninsular. There were no additional/unforeseen charges for anything, including the flight between camps.

One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Holly. Thank you for the story and photos.

Tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Good story and photos. And you picked a good outfitter. It looked like you guys had better weather than farther up the peninsula for a change

WE had LOTS of snow

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
phil i talked with deltana on may 20 and they were 8 for 10 at that point and they said the same thing about the conditions north of them, the pilot said he thought he saw penguins as he flew down to sand point!! personally, i'd rather have the snow.

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Daniel,

First, you have abeautiful daughter! I know two step daughters who mean the world to me, but they show no interest in hunting. My son, however, who is only seven, is ready to go!

Beautiful bear. I just returned myself from AK on my first BB hunt where I got a 7.5 - 8.0 footer. Nothing spectacular, but based upon the resports from hunters in camp prior to my arrival, I was lucky to see a bear.

I know you will cherish the memories you shared on your hunt with your baby. I look forward to the first hunt I can take one of my children on. I think I will be more excited when they harvest their first animal than I was with mine!

Regards,

Paul

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind words. Holly will be 35 yrs old in a couple of weeks, has been going to hunting camps with me since she was an infant and, yes, she is beautiful. I wouldn't have traded being with her for my own tag.

Great bear, Phil. We didn't venture far from the coast but the mountains inland from us were still covered in snow. For three days after we killed the bear it was sunny, clear, and quite pleasant. Even saw a pod of orcas cavorting around offshore.

Ours was the ninth bear for Deltana. They still had one guy in the field, when we left, who had passed on several bears looking for a 10 footer. Don't know what the outcome was for him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice bear congratulations to your daughter.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to daughter and dad alike!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I don't which is prettier; Holly or the bear Wink

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post