Find
Notify
Tools

Big Buck Contest Results
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted
Just wondering what the results are from any local big buck contests this past year. I'm waiting for the results from the Juneau one to be posted. I know Ketchikan has one and had a real big one turned in - and 8x5 or something like that. My entry this year might make the top 15, or so, we'll see. I'll give the scores of the top 3 when they are available.

Lars

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
The final results are in, although there was a bit of controversy regarding the first and second place. They score the buck by adding the greatest width + the greatest height to the scull cap. The winner almost always goes over 30", with widths running 19"-20" and heights going 10"-12". The owner of the store who sponsors the contest doesn't have published rules, but the winner gets a new Howa rifle and a head mount of his trophy. Entires are not tabulated until the local season ends on Dec 31, so no one knows exactly where they stand until it's over.

The story goes like this (straight from the 2nd place finisher.) He didn't think is measurement was accurate. The first measurement was by the owner of the store. He took it back for a rescore before the end of the season. Another person scored it for him and it went 30 7/16" - a full 1/8" higher than initally scored and 1/16" bigger than the eventual winner. He told the clerk it was a remeasurement. The owner disallowed it and refused to recheck it himself. The guy was pretty bummed and righfully so!

#1 30 3/8" (3x3)
#2 30 5/16" (3x3)
#3 29 3/4" (3x2)

#26 27 1/2" (2x2) me :>(

oh well, I managed 3rd last year with a 29 1/2" score (3x2)

There were two 4x4's entered but the best one was 16th place.

There's always next year!!!!

My 26th place forked horn:

How about results from other areas??!!

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muskeg,
Thats a great picture, I love the misty fog in the back ground!!!
Congratulations on the buck, Ive always wanted to hunt blacktails in Alaska.
Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote