Find
Notify
Tools

Re: charter boat hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I can recommend an outfitter out of Wrangle if you are still shopping for someone to take you out. He really gets some nice bears. Has a 55 foot yacht that houses you. If you want his contact info just drop me a line and I will get it too you.

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Mark,

While you make some good points, I see no reason that a transporters boat cannot be as nice and 'plush' as a guides boat. Same with the food and great scenery. For the experienced bear hunter, I'd say there's some serious money to be saved by going with a transporter.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian,

You certainly are right. I'm just stating what a guy not familiar with this type of hunting might want to keep in mind if booking a Transporter hunt. When wyo first made his post he didn't mention that he was a bear hunter.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have used this guy 4 or 5 times. He runs out of Homer and Whitier.

http://www.alaskawebs.com/captainron/fishing.htm

I would use him again in an instant. Ron is a great guy.

Last trip we took 4 good bears the 1st day. It was almost a joke trying to decide which ones to go after.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not gone out with Captain Ron, but I know of at least 5 nice black bears that have been taken by my friends with this outfit..the hunts I am familar with is where he takes you out of Whittier and drops you off 3 or 4 hours out on his big boat (normally, you bring your own inflatable to get from his boat to shore). Prices are reasonable and everyone that goes out with him likes him, as far as I can tell.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BW: Hello. I just spent the past two days is Sitka on work (Wed and Thur). About 7 pm on Wed night I saw a large brown bear on the north side of the small bay there at the old historic town site at the end of the road, north of town. I was up there looking at the park. You could see the bear from the near side of the bridge. I watched the bear for quite a while..it was eating grass. There were other folks there watching it as well. That was one big brown bear.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
rwj,

Well darn it, next time let me know, and we can have either a coffee or a beer. I work in the Coast Guard hanger, which is hard to miss when taxiing in on a 737.

That bear is living on borrowed time. It's too bad, but it's lost it's fear of people and the Troopers think it will have to be shot. They've hit it three times with the pepper gun, and it still comes back.

I know some folks get upset (like the last bear taken down for eating the local Vets dog) but that's life. That area is very popular with locals and tourist alike.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BW: Next time I'm headed your way I will let you know and we will see if we can get together. I drink both coffee and beer. Regarding the bear, I figured as much. That is unfortunate. Folks feed or otherwise attract brown and black bears around here sometimes..recently last fall and this spring out in Eagle River (the same brown bear at peoples homes...yikes!), and these animals are headed for nothing good. Troopers more than likely will deal with them.

The weather in Sitka was beautiful...no rain. I sunburned the top of my bald head. I could live in Sitka, but I am someone who says I could live in Kotzebue. More than one person mentioned the herring run this year, which you featured here on AR. I will try and contact you next time I'm in your neighborhood. You have a good community.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of friends in Whittier so I tend to run out of there more times than not. When we run with Ron we ususally take the boat for the entire week. That way we can go as far as we want. Also we can fish in the process. Ron usually takes care of getting a zodiac for us. I have hunted spring and fall with him. I must admit my favorite time is when the salmon are running in the fall. The bears are everywhere fattening up for winter.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info guy's, I just got back from a 4 day trip with no luck on my baits. I have one getting hit but he wouldn't come out in the daytime. My girlfriend sat at one for 20 hours total, she's ready to go to Alaska. I will give capt Ron a call.

Posts: 14 | Location: nortwest wyoming | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote