Find
Notify
Tools

Kotzebue (spl?)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
We've been hunting the southern Alaska coastal areas for the last few years, and would like to hunt a little farther North. Trouble with this is we don't know any of the Bush pilots up there, like we do down south!
Does anyone up around Kotzebue (SPL?)know the websites, or E-mail address of any pilots up there we might contact for late September, or early Oct. We are mostly interestsd in Caribou, and/or wolf, on a fly-out drop camp, for 7, or 8 days! My e-mail is DUGABOY1@aol.com

I used to talk on the net with a guy who went by "Rustygun" and is a ivory carver, but I haven't seen a post by him in a while!

Thanks in advance for ay info I can get for this area!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Kotzebue. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

I have flown out of Kotzebue several times for caribou. Finding a good pilot can be an issue, as there isn't much competition in this area. The best company is Hageland Aviation. They have a web site - a quick search should find it. They mostly do commuter flights to various western alaska villages, not in bush planes. Usually they have a pilot or two that has a supercub, 180, 216, or whatever who books hunters on the side. I flew several times with Eric Seih (pronounced see), and he is a very good pilot I would highly recommend. (He is young, though!) Call them and ask - they have been helpful in the past.
One other thing, however. October this far north is getting pretty late for caribou. Most outfits seem to be shutting down by the end of September. I have always hunted this area about the 1st of September - prime time in my opinion.
Good luck. Send me a PM if I can provide other details.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
Try these guys.
Arctic Air service 442-3030
Baker Aviation 442-3108
Grant Aviation 248-7025
Northwestern Aviation 442-3525
Mavrik Air Service 262-6790

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Mac,

Can't help on airservices up there as I haven't had an opportunity to hunt up there.

I've tried to keep in touch with Donald aka Rustygun, sounds like he's gotten busy with work and hasn't spent much time on the net lately.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on Kotzebue, the spelling, and on the bush pilots!
Maybe I should look at maybe flying North out of Fairbanks, a 40 or 50 miles North of the Yukon River. We don't have much time left to decide for this year, so I've got to get on it! The guys decided not to hunt Alaska this year, then changed their minds this last week end! Talk about going down to the wire! I'll give the guys a call that you guys listed here for the Kotzebue area, but it looks a little iffy there this late!

How about some connections out of Fairbanks?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

I have used Warbelows and Wright aviation out of Fairbanks. Again, these guys do mostly scheduled flights to remote villages, but I know at least one of the pilots for Warbelows last year was flying hunters as well. I don't have his name handy, but I flew with him from Fairbanks to Tanana last year and we had a good conversation about local hunting areas. Sorry I don't have more handy right now.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in Kotzebue, and would vouch for Eric (mentioned inaan earlier post). He's young, but he been up here for a long time, and knows the area. I've known him since he got up here back then.
Personally, I'd most likely go with Northwestern Aviation (Jim Rood), as he does do drop-offs. Unsure of the others.
Probably, the best time for caribou hunting is in September. Labor Day weekend is a busy time up here, hunting-wise.
(This is my fist post here in several years I think. I just "returned" tonight. Yes, Paul, I've been very busy.)

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Suluuq, don't be a stranger!

Are you still carving and making jewelry?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul... Hello. I've taken a "real" job a year and a half ago, working night shift at an alcohol treatment center. this takes up a lot of my time, especially doing overtime almost on a regular basis. I've recently started doing artwork again, with two of my nephews, in their spare tool shed (cleaned out for all my carving tools - rotory tool, beltsander, scroll saw, dust collector system, etc). We intend to do more artwork during the winter.
Did you get your boat in the water yet?

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul... I forgot to mention, I'll be in Los Anchorage on Sept 28-Oct 4, for medical reasons. I'll call you, see whats up.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Suluuq,

Definately drop me a line. I'd like to hook up when you're in town. I hope evertying is ok health wise with your family.

Yeah, real jobs suck. You think you have the money to do the things you didn't have before, but then there is no time, and the money still just disapears.

PS, I still haven't launched the boat yet. Just got too tied up with other projects, and new o/b engines are spendy! I am definately planning to launch next spring. I was hoping to have finished painting the exterior this summer, but the weather didn't cooperate to get it completely painted, ah well, next year.