New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anchorage, Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We are contemplating a move to this general area. Can anybody tell me what the hunting is like in this area? What is the Construction industry like in this area (that is my field)? Any general info would be appreciated.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The good thing about Anchorage is it is centrally loacated, the bad thing is that there isn't much hunting close by. The best way to describe hunting in Alaska as a resident is that you don't have to pay non-res license or tag fees, nor a r/t ticket up here, but other then that, hunting is often very expensive to get where it is good.

Construction has been pretty strong the last few years, but is seasonal, so you'll have to figure out what you'll do for employment during the winter months.

Check out www.adn.com in the classifieds to get an idea of what jobs are like.

We don't have state income or sales tax, but food is expensive, and housing is getting up there too.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bring lots of money with you

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know Paul, construction in Anchorage has been pretty brisk, even through winter these past few years. Guess it depends on what your specialty is, but Anchorage's commercial construction industry has been pretty busy through the winter for the past 5-6 years seems like. I don't know about the rest of the state.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Construction work should be available, depending on your specialty and ability. It may take time to get connected with the right operation or employer.

Construction employment may interfere with your hunting too. August and September are prime get it done before the snow flies crunch months (or get the roof on, etc). Hunting season is much earlier here than elsewhere, more like the end of summer instead of fall.

Hunting is more expensive and time consuming here than anyplace else I've lived.....there is a saying that each hunting trip in Alaska is an expedition. While there are vast amounts of land to hunt, access to it is difficult, especially by road. If you need to fly, float, or pack in it is hard to do in less than a week--and starts to cost $$$. Hunting alone can be done but most won't recommend it, since even a bad sprain could put you in a survival experience.

That all sounds more depressing than I want it to. I love it here and suggest you come up and look around. Look at classifieds, Craigslist, etc for openings, and make some calls. Top quality help is hard to find everywhere.

I do know of several home building projects in the works that might be interested in your skills. PM me with your skills/details if you like.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
You shouldn't have any trouble finding work in the construction industry. I work part time for a tile, laminate installer and he is always turning work away and a lot of it is on new homes. As for hunting around Anchorage, There's some good hunting within 25 miles of town, you just have to get out and look.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Lots of work in Anchorage. It's growing fast and becoming another big city. I'm planning on getting out of town it's too big for me after 33 years hear. Will be heading up to the far side of the vally or maybe copper river basin.

Want to buy my house>

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thunderstick--

Hope your move considerations worked out for the best.....I'm afraid I didn't realize D&L Outfitters seem to have hijacked your 2004 post.

If you're coming up, for vacation or otherwise, don't hesitate to PM or post and I'll try and answer any questions....

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Hahaha, I never saw the thread start date......hopefully things worked out for him and whats with the D&L Outfitters posts?? A little free advertising maybe???

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote