Handgun ownership in Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is from the Brady Campaign State gun laws website,

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.asp?state=ak#juvposs

Juvenile Possession
Are minors restricted from possessing guns? YES

Alaska: State law restricts juveniles under 16 from possessing any firearm without parental permission or authorized supervision. But kids age 16 or 17 can possess handguns or even assault weapons without their parents permission. Also see: Juvenile Sales.

Juvenile Sale
Is it illegal to sell guns to kids? YES

Alaska: State law restricts selling or giving firearms to juveniles under 18, except for supervised loans of firearms or for limited lawful activities (such as hunting). Also see: Juvenile Possession.

Reading these, it would seem that an 18 yr old can buy a handgun, is this true?

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a lot of states AK inclued a lot of 18 yoas can buy handguns on the open market. FFL holders are restricted to selling to 21 yoas in all states.

Posts: 19370 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
so then I can buy from anyone at a gun show, just not an ffl dealer then correct?

one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as your over 18 and not dealing with a FFL holder you can buy and you have the money most people will sell to you. What are you looking for put the word out among your freinds and hunting buddys you'sll be surprised what turns up.

Posts: 19370 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just looking around the net and came across that, and didn't know if it was true or not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DP,
I bought my fist handgun here in Michigan at 18 years old.I picked out my 44 Super Red Hawk and had a family member buy it for me, then we just went up to the police station and had it switched over to my name. Of course I still had to buy a purchase permit and take the little 10 question test they give you at the station.
Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dark Paladin
No it says you can not buy a handgun until your 18! Even if it's from a friend!! It says if your 17 and under you can't be in possesion of a firearm unless your being DIRECTLY SUPERVISED buy a parent or adult(21) even while hunting! You also need to read the federal law on this subject before you get into a crack and lose your right to own with a felony conviction!!

Posts: 115 | Location: Mountain Home ID | Registered: 09 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ok, you've just confused the hell out of me.

I am 18, so I can legaly buy a handgun from anyone except an FFL dealer correct?