THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Is the "BEAST" a Good Bear defence weapon?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the "BEAST" a Good Bear defence weapon?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I got to say is "damn...."

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I think it's neat, but as a bear defence weapon I think it lacks a lot.

First it's a single shot. So that would suck. Compared to an 870 with 8 rounds of slugs in the pipe it would be within a pound. Might as well have 8 12 gauge slugs.

Second it's going to be fairly heavy. Again compare to th 870.

Think it's cool, but I would choose anything that fired 2 shots over something that fired 1. And 5, 10, or 30 would be better.

A carbon framed AR15 in 50 Beaowulf would be kick ass.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I consider the ideal Big Bear defence weapon is having Mr. Phil Shoemaker standing over your shoulder w/ his reliable 458 Mauser.

Anything else may work but is less than ideal.

GVA

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's much to be said for making one shot count. Having said that, I'm not a big fan of his work. Many like it but count me out.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I think he should stick to handguns.

What caliber is it?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Per his website...Some of the calibers available are 375 H&H, 375 Rem. Ultra Mag, 378 Weatherby, 375 H&H Ackley Improved, 405 Winchester, 416 Remington Mag, 416 GNR, 416 Rigby, 450 GNR, 450 KNR, 458 Win. Magnum, 458 Lott, 460 Weatherby, 475 GNR, 476 GNR, 470 Nitro, 470 Capstick, 500 Nitro, 50 Alaskan, 505 Gibbs, 510 Wells, 510 Express, or 500 Jeffery.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Just lacking one item the way I see it! shocker That one item would be a second barrel to make it a double rifle!!! Big Grin

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If is what had I would use it to good effect. I would take a repeater over the BEAST.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryVA:
I consider the ideal Big Bear defence weapon is having Mr. Phil Shoemaker standing over your shoulder w/ his reliable 458 Mauser.

Anything else may work but is less than ideal.

GVA

Or just being confident in your own shooting and abilities without pissing your pants would be even better than relying on someone else.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
WJ ;;What Caliber.....I would prefer it to a repeater of les than 338 cal...and if it were a 416 or larger wouldn,t feel inadaquetly armed if hunting or stopping a 1 bear charge....Still a model 77Mk II is a simpler action with bigger internal parts that tend to always work ,.,.I would opt for a 375 Ruger Alaskan ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I would not use that as a bear defense gun, I would prefer to use something with a little more ammo capacity.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I've never hunted bear so can't speak from personal experience. However if I were charged by a bear I would prefer something with more ammo capacity or a double rifle.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger #1 chambered in 458 win mag and I wouldn't hesitate to carry it in the bush however the advantage of this customized piece is largely imaginary.
I've found that the extra short barrels take away more than they give.Their advantage in brush is exagerated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks pretty handy to me, chances of being attacked are pretty slim even in areas withh high densitys unless you are calling deer or working up a carcass. only big disadvantage is always being chambered up or having to look for the ammo

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 396 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote