THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Glock 29 (10mm caliber) for a sidearm when hunting black bear?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 29 (10mm caliber) for a sidearm when hunting black bear?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Just to set the record straight, I have a M29 S&W .44 mag for when I'm not using a rifle. For these times a handgun is quite appropriate. So is bear spray.

A 10mm would also do quite nicely for black bears I would think.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems that there are two areas of concern......IMHO...1.Semi-autos don't seem to function as reliably as a revolver does given the dirt, mud, kelp, or whatever may find itself into the operating parts. The old Army 45's were designed with enough slop in the moving parts to usually fire at close quarters in an emergency. And the army/marines were careful to clean their weapons every time the opportunity presented itself. Will you? 2. If you hope to rely on a handgun to defend yourself in hand-to-hand combat with any bear, make your first shot the one that packs the most punch. My guide this spring, Eli Lucas, just bought himself a 44 Mag. He will practice with 44 Special loads. If a bear comes at you at the rate of 40 feet a second, I suggest dropping to one knee to get on the same plane as the bear & shoot until it or you drops. I shot a black bear this May with my .338 Win Mag; it was was loaded with 225 gr Interbonds. The first shot took out his onside shoulder, spun him around, & dropped him. He was down for about one second, then up & running on 3 feet. The .338 puts out a little under 3,800 FOOT POUNDS of energy with my load (at the muzzle). What does your 10 put out coming out of your Glock? Food for thought. Hope tis helps/ Chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not to wave a flag or nothing but Mike McNett done a few tests here and there and with both the G20&M29. A beartooth 200grn wfngc and a 325 wfngc..both at an approx 1300fps in FBI Ballistic gel. Penetration was the same!

I would use my G20 w/6"KKM & 200grn WFNGC an 10grns 800x on any black bear...that is just me though. Both species of bears here where I live and hunt and roam so...my 629 6" is "generally" my sidearm if I choose to carry it. A rifle has always proven to be the ideal choice for me.

I am a firm believer that always a bigger bullet makes a bigger hole.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote