THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Emergency hunting, fishing, and trapping

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency hunting, fishing, and trapping
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted
The things I did not include in Emergency kit for the tundra thread were the tools/weapons I would have in my kit that are strictly for emergency food procurement. I am not including the firearms I would have when hunting (.375 H&H, .338 WinMag, .300 WinMag, or .45-70), or my sidearm (.44 Mag), nor my flyrod and flies. Those, of course, may be used for survival food procurement but sometimes they might be a bit over-kill or just too slow in catching (such as with flyfishing).

My survival firearm:

I chose the Explorer II .22 LR because:
a. it's rugged
b. it breaks down and fits well in my emergency pack
c. it uses the .22 LR which provides me adequate killing power of small game
d. small and lightweight cartridges allow me to carry more ammo than more powerful centerfire cartridges
e. ammo is cheap and obtainable almost anywhere
f. I can shoot the Explorer II with thickly-gloved hands
g. I don't want to lose my S&W Model 17 to the river again (luckily it was only in 2 feet of water - but cold)

For getting fish - I have a net (right now a badminton net but I'm looking to replace it with something with smaller netting)

For trapping - I use fish line or dental floss to construct loop snares or trip lines on deadfalls.

The knife is a Cold Steel Mini-Bushman which can also be used as a spearpoint.

This subject (wilderness survival) has always interested me and I try to practice those skills and get familiar with my survival equipment whenever I go out in the wilds. I'd be interested in what others would take in anticipation of emergency situations.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Daniel Boone never carried that much stuff.Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote