Find
Notify
Tools

2011 Brown Bear
 Login/Join

posted

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow Eeker That's a big bear. Tell us the story!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
That's a damn nice bear there Bill.

I'm sure you have an interesting story.

Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1413 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what a wonderful bear!The photo not the same but I think was raining.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
beaty of a bear there Billy

I kill things, deal with it.

Posts: 57 | Location: Long Island NY | Registered: 21 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First photo was with an iPhone by yours truly, a photographer I am not! Yes, it was raining, too.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Yes, Nice bear. Do tell us the story.

Tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bear!!!! Info on the rifle please..

Posts: 28 | Location: SE,AK | Registered: 10 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was hoping Brother Bill would complete the story to accompany the photos. The short story is we were on the Alaska Peninsula and for the first day we hunted a drainage favorable to the wind, seeing some nice bears but nothing big during the morning. Late in the evening we spied a bear I figured to be about 9.5 feet, but he was way out in the tide line moving faster than we could ever catch him, so we retired. The next morning the wind had changed but we really wanted to see if we could catch the boar we saw earlier. We geared-up with our headlamps and almost started into the drainage, when we looked at each other and asked what the devil we were doing, as the wind would almost certainly bust us, possibly sending the bear into a nocturnal mode. So, we backed-out and re-grouped. We decided to try another drainage a few miles away that would afford a better position with the wind. It was still dark when we got there, but as it got lighter we started seeing bears in a side drainage at about 1/2 mile distant. We watched what we thought were a sow and a cub for a bit as they faded in and out of view, then saw two bigger bears. One started out of the side drainage toward our position, the other was out of sight. My first impression was that the bear was a solid 8.5 to 9 footer and I suggested we get positioned on the bluff ahead in case we wanted to try for him. Bill was a little hesitant because the other bear had not emerged and did not want to take a smaller bear. As the bear got closer and we could see his swagger, huge belly, stove pipe nose and tiny ears, we mad tracks for the bluff. Bill nestled-in with his pack as a rest for the McMillan stocked, Sako actioned .375 AI. As the boar got close to the river the other came into view, showing he was indeed the smaller of the two. The big boar stepped into a little side branch of the river and grabbed a stinky old salmon, turned his back to us and laid down to eat. Bill ranged him at 218 yards which meant my 45/70 was not going to be used as a back-up! After about 10 minutes the bear got up on the bank and turned to the right, giving Bill the green light to launch the first 270 grain TSX while I manned the video camera. At the first shot through the shoulder the bear pushed off hard, doing a somersault, rolled off the bank and fell into the water. When he started to get up Bill smacked him again through right side, sending him down again. As he crawled out of the water (thank God) Bill hit him again which put him down for the count. When we got to the bear I realized he was all of 9.5 feet. Taking his paw in my hands I told Bill he may even get close to 10. After the skinning we loaded the 160 pound hide (as weighed at the airline) on Bill, I took the skull and other stuff, and off we went. Without stretching on the hide it squared 10' 2". It is being made into a live mount. The skull has been measured at 29 13/16" and currently sits tied at #29 with some other fine bears in the B&C book. The age of the bear was estimated at 20 years. Good trip, glad I was along to take crappy video!

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Thank you for telling the story. Now see if you can post the video Smiler

Tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Could have sworn I hung the report on here....

Oh well, Randy pretty well covered it.

Here is the video....

http://i18.photobucket.com/alb...Bertram58/BEAR-1.mp4

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Looks like another bear running in the distance after the first shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice bear.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice video.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report and video. A very nice bear.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Hoping to see the mount this month...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Great bear and great story! Hope to get a chance at a big one one of these days!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ironbender
posted Hide Post
Update on the mount, Bill?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.

Posts: 113 | Location: In the shadow of the Kenai mountains. | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
Was that on the west side of the inlet? Looks very familiar!

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool vid. I am dying to get up there again.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bear, congrats

Posts: 36 | Location: Iliamna Alaska | Registered: 10 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Nice size bear congraduation

I cannot see it clearly but I hope the other one running away is not a cub

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
'bender.... heard rumor he'd be done before he left for Florida for the winter, but haven't heard from him (or called), so I'm thinking it will be March/April before I see the mount.

posted Hide Post
Alaskaman,

We were on the Ak Peninsula...southern end.

posted Hide Post
londonhunter,

That other bear was only a touch smaller than mine...I'd guess mid 9's. Certainly not a cub.

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
I was not meant to be derogatory
As I wrote I cannot see clearly hence I am asking

Great clip and good hunt

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
tu2

Very nice!!

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Almost done....