Find
Notify
Tools

New Alaska sheep rules
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John:

You are correct. I ran competitively from about 1970-78. I ran for many years after that purely for fun and exercise. I largely stopped running a couple of years ago due to knee issues. I do other cardio now. This morning I lifted weights with a trainer for an hour, did two hours of cardio then we left for the hunting camp. We will hunt through Wednesday afternoon.

You are also correct about me being up a tree for deer/hogs. I am with my kids. My youngest shot a hog this afternoon . I saw a large number of deer but I passed as they were all small and I have already done well this year.

Maybe we can get you down to shoot some hogs sometime.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Hey Earl.

Fuck Off Asshole!

Enough is enough. Get over yourself.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Hey Earl.

Fuck Off Asshole!

Enough is enough. Get over yourself.

Todd:
Stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel! Holding in emotion may be a health hazard.

Larry:
You are a gentleman's gentleman and a welome asset where ever you go. Meeting you a few months ago was indeed my pleasure. I hope to do so again in the future.

Echo:
You seem to be quite angry and go after a few here like you have a mission to accomplish, but there is no consistancy in your dislikes. You attack Larry for his successes in life and Mark for his contract. AR folks who post such anger and insults seem to drift off and be forgotten after a short while.

Cheers, all.

Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
I've never met Larry. From his posts he seems like a great guy. Larry, if you make it to AK again and have time, I'll take you to the F-St bar and if I'm home, dinner and beers on me.

Whoever this troll is that is crapping on you, you won't have the "steam off me piss". I don't care what your f-ing problem is, but after joining the forum this month, you've already established your reputation as a Class-A douche. Lighten up Francis.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
I've never met Larry. From his posts he seems like a great guy. Larry, if you make it to AK again and have time, I'll take you to the F-St bar and if I'm home, dinner and beers on me.

Whoever this troll is that is crapping on you, you won't have the "steam off me piss". I don't care what your f-ing problem is, but after joining the forum this month, you've already established your reputation as a Class-A douche. Lighten up Francis.

Dave:

Thank you sir.

Just yesterday I booked another hunt in Alaska. I will be in the northern Brooks in late August. This time, flying out of Fairbanks. This allows us to miss Cal's good friends at 70 North. rotflmo

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am gonna miss Earl's banned ass.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appears Earl was a she.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What no 70 north flights?! Was thinking s forum hunt with them was in order!!!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Appears Earl was a she.

You must have failed to ring Earline's bell...

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
What no 70 north flights?! Was thinking s forum hunt with them was in order!!!

I am not certain I could accurately quote the entire story so I won't try. Riley is moving his departure point to Fairbanks to avoid having to deal with them further. Everyone will fly from Fairbanks in a Caravan. Those finishing and leaving early will be flown to Deadhorse in a bush plane.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of these is true Wink

Larry shores is in terrible shape.

He is sloppy with a shotgun why I let him shoot most of the birds.

He is afraid of heights so I have no idea why he wants to hunt sheep that live on a mountain.

He voted for Hillary Clinton.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
One of these is true Wink

Larry shores is in terrible shape.

He is sloppy with a shotgun why I let him shoot most of the birds.

He is afraid of heights so I have no idea why he wants to hunt sheep that live on a mountain.

He voted for Hillary Clinton.

Mike

Mike:

Caribou and grizzly this time. You need to go with me.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Echoanne12:
AZwriter,
Back in the day don't mean shit! It's what you can do now. Back in the day I could do USTA Triathlons and finish consistently in the top 10 % of my age class. But that doesn't mean shit now.

I'm not wealthy, and I don't make alot of money. But I also hunt internationally as well as in the states when I can draw a permit out west. I have to work hard and save wisely to do that.

By the way - what is the "difficult stuff"? If one hunts "the difficult stuff" does that somehow qualify them as a defacto expert of hunting on AR?

But when some wealthy chest thumping braggart like Larry Shores constantly posts his endeavors on AR as some self appointed hunting expert it needs to be exposed just as that!

And to write a hunt report on The Hunting Report this month and describe oneself as "outstanding for my age" in regards to their physical condition just validates his look at me and what I've done self bravado egocentric mindset.

But AZwriter you do have one thing absolutely correct. In this day and age it's more about money than outdoor skills in determining who gets to go hunting and where for quality animals. Larry Shores is the self appointed poster boy for that!

Echo:

I don't know what you do for a living, and frankly, it really doesn't matter to me. The fact you say you work hard and save to go on the hunts that you want to go on draws my respect. Seriously.

I just finished a hunt in northern MN with some union workers. They don't make a lot of money relative to me, and they know that. They know I hunt a lot more places than they do (but I don't necessarily hunt more than they do). One guy once asked me why I even bother to hunt deer in MN after killing the big four in Africa. I told him, "Because I like to hunt and I love MN deer season!"

Well, I am pretty sure Larry S will be in a treestand tomorrow hunting for deer or pigs, just because he loves to hunt.

There is always someone on AR who makes more money than you, that has hunted more than you, has more guns that you, is a better shot than you, etc, but at the end of the day I like to think that our common love of hunting is the bond that binds us.

Larry used to compete in NC2A track - he has loved running his whole life. I have yet to meet a runner on a hunt who can't keep up, injuries notwithstanding.

Good luck hunting this weekend.

I think Echoanne12 does not do anything for a living.

She must have a miserable life, or she would not spend her time being an idiot on an Internet forum.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you are right Saeed. Some people just Can't Understand Normal Thinking. I am willing to bet she is one of those.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad it is over . Contrary to what she thought , nothing an anonymous poster on an Internet forum could ever bother me. It is nice to obtain information without the insanity of her rants clouding the issue.

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I am told there are some new rules for sheep in Alaska. If I understand correctly, a non-resident can take a ram every four years under these new rules.

I had about made up my mind to try it again. Give the injury I had about a month before I left for my August hunt, I felt somewhat cheated out of the experience. I wanted to try it again before I got too old. I guess that isn't happening now, at least in Alaska. I will be just short of 65 when I am next eligible in Alaska.

Damn this is disappointing especially considering that I am 1 for 3 on sheep in Alaska.

According to, Changes for 2016-2017, "All GMUs, established a bag limit of one sheep every four years for all nonresident sheep
hunters. This applies to all hunts (drawing, registration, and general season harvest tickets).". So, if a non resident "harvests" a sheep, then they must wait 4'years before harvesting another. If you don't harvest a sheep, then nothing stops you from coming back to try again.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote