New
Find
Notify
Tools

2008 Brown Bear Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am in the early stage of planning for an Alaska brown bear hunt for the fall or spring 2008. I had a good but unsuccessful mountain grizzly hunt in the Books range in the fall of 2004. I saw Renfro's Alaskan Hunting featured on an outdoor show. http://www.renfrosalaskanadventures.com/

Anybody have any first hand experience?

Thanks

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
This past fall I hunted caribou in the same area that Renfro bear hunts, though with a different outfitter. It's beautiful country. We didn't see any bears and really thought that was a good thing at tha time. However, there was plenty of fresh sign all around us - scat, old kill sites, burrowing activity, etc.

I might would think that these are not necessarily coastal browns, but more of a zonal change between coastal browns and interior grizzlies. If I ever got the money together for a bear hunt, Renfro's is the place I'd start. I would also think the 9-footers are the top size and not the norm.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote