New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Polar Bears on the decline?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For you folks living in Alaska/Canada, are Polar Bears on the decline or not? I'm sure this question has been asked here before, but I don't have enough time to look for it.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Given that very few of us have actually seen a polar bear, most are not likely to know if the science is correct or not.

So we go with science, which say yes.

The folks in Churchhill have seen an increase in their area, but that may be due to ice retreating, not increased bear numbers.

I know for a fact that there's less ice around the shores of the Bueafort Sea in the last few summers.

The real question for Alaskans is...

Are our activities on the North Slope causing the decline?

I'd say that answer is no, not directly.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that the sea ice up at Kaktovik has been abnormally far from shore for at least several years. It was that way when we were there in Aug. 2007 and again in Aug. 2008. As I recall, the locals were saying that they had never seen it that far out. Polar bears need the sea ice to survive. We saw bears on shore near the airstrip both years we were there.
I dunno if it's truly global warming or not but.. I spent a year in Barrow in the early '70's and the sea ice was all the way onto shore except for the brief "summer". I can't say as to what the ice conditions currently are at either Barrow or Kaktovik.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't say as to what the ice conditions currently are at either Barrow or Kaktovik.
Bear in Fairbanks

Well, in-between the two, it's frozen. Smiler

Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah!!!! Ya got me on that one. Badly worded. Big Grin
B.I.F.

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I met a girl in a bar here the other night that just got back from Greenland where she was doing a study on greenland sharks, polar bears, caribou, and muskox.

The short answer is yes their is less ice, and that means the ones that normally summer on the non-coastal islands are probably not going to survive if they have a year or two without ice coming to the island. We could lose all those bears in an ice free season.

The far northern bears will fair better.

Another thought that she told me is that where both bears exhist together that they have seen an increase in the number of hybrid bears and think that polar bears and brown bears will continue to cross breed.

Not many people know this, but polar bears are not fast enough to catch caribou. So they are kind of stuck in their little evolutionary niche. I don't think they will go extinct, but I do beleive we will lose some bears.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being closely observant of this situation RE: Polar Bear, Please understand that there are more Polar Bear than any time in the past 25 years when bear counts first started.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
Being closely observant of this situation RE: Polar Bear, Please understand that there are more Polar Bear than any time in the past 25 years when bear counts first started.

Jeff

EXACTLY!! Wink thumb coffee

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

True if you take the entire population into account (especially the Soviet Union), Otherwise BULLSHIT! The availability of sea ice, as has been already stated, is VITAL to the survival of polar bears. That is where they hunt (seals) from, and that is how they get the fat to survive the time when they are on shore hibernating. I went to Churchill last October (2008). If you are really interested in the truth, rather than just coming up with some hair brained view that just supports your opinion, the science is out there. Where they don't know, they will say so. Churchill is quite far south, but is in a unique location for sea ice, hence the number of polar bears. When looking at numbers the thoughtful person will also factor in the hunting situation eg. open, limited etc.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
What Peter... you don't buy the Bwana's statement? Can't understand that, as it came with so many facts to support it. Just take his word for it. Eeker

Brian

One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
Saw a bbc movie where a polar bear was swimming. They said global warming forced the bear to swim and that it`s life is in danger underlined with dramatic music. That is BULLSHIT, as polar bears are able to swim and it`s a common behavior. hate this pseudo- science bla bla.
OK, they loose maybe some habitat but tell me just one place on earth where animals do not.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Not to change the subject, but polar bears eat seals, as has been stated. Don't the tree huggers want to save the baby seals. The native peoples can't club them as they have for centuries, so maybe the tree huggers should be rooting for the polar bear's decline. Do ya'll think they are confused because there aren't any trees growing on sea ice?
Every planet in our solar system is warming up (whether or not you count Pluto). Nature has an ebb and flow. Every ice age in history ended by "global warming". I'd also like to point out that my organic chemistry and biochemistry professors would be out of a job if it were not for all this carbon. They'd also be dead as all life on this planet, from plants to polar bears is carbon based. These worries are for those drinking KoolAid when they should be searching for common sense.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is BULLSHIT, as polar bears are able to swim and it`s a common behavior.

Dentist, that is NOT bullshit. You obviously didn't listen. Polar bears ARE excellent swimmers but that does NOT mean they can swim hundreds of miles in OPEN water, which is what they are now being forced to do. Polar bear bodies ARE being found in OPEN water, DROWNED! You can only swim so far until your energy is depleted. As to losing habitat, the problem with polar bears is that they are optimised to a certain habitat and prey species. (I am sure you don't think that this is a result of adaptation, so, let's just say that God made them that way 6,000 years ago). When that changes in a relatively short amount of time, they adapt or die. Some are concerned that it may be the latter.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the crab fisherman are poe'd because the ice has moved so far south the past few winters covering up the fishing grounds. Yet, the scientists say the ice is at all time lows. Maybe the fishermen are just claiming there is ice there because they don't want to put those crab/cod in the hold. Or maybe it has something to do with who is giving you the grant money... Roll Eyes

Posts: 114 | Location: Kodiak, AK | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
Hi Peter, in generally I agree with you. In this particular movie the bear just swim about 100 yards and they said Polar Bears only swim if they are forced to e.g. by global warming. Sure there are some bears drowned but this maybe happened before the global warming was invented,too. The bigger problem is maybe the toxines from water pollution and lead which are enriched in the prey of bears. On the top of the food chain they get the maximum. So what to do ? Who knows. As you said they will adapt or die. As somebody mentioned before the numbers are on a 30 year high. Looks like they are able to adapt well.
I don`t think any God made them. They adapted some thousand years before when they were coming from the land and explored the ice. Possibly they have to go back where they come from. Nothing stays forever even we don`t.

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Polar Bears swim as they please. I've watched them enter and exit the water without a thought, and simply as a means to move on to the next place, even though there was no shortage of land headed the same direction.

This was taken...

...on the open ocean side of a barrier island. There was no need for these bears to be in the water, they just seemed to want to be there.

Brian

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:

Polar bears ARE excellent swimmers but that does NOT mean they can swim hundreds of miles in OPEN water, which is what they are now being forced to do. Polar bear bodies ARE being found in OPEN water, DROWNED!

I'm curious, has a polar bear never drowned in open water before? To bad the Religion of Global Warming hasn't been around longer to provide us with so many new and undebatable answers.

By the way, Polar bears are mans only natural predator. Who exactly is forcing them to do anything? Seems to me free will causes them to chart their own course. Hell, even NFL players can't swim forever and may have to pay the price of a bad mistake in open water. Risks of Life.
Maybe seals are baiting them into open water, where they are drowned by unicorns who travel on rainbows. I'm sure there are a few extra billion in the stimulus plan to deal with this horrific problem which so dominates our immediate future.
Oh Wait! The tax on CO2 exhaled by seals could go to provide rafts for the bears. We could even have the rafts heated so the bears don't get cold.
Does that make good sense to anyone?

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:

True if you take the entire population into account (especially the Soviet Union), Otherwise BULLSHIT! The availability of sea ice, as has been already stated, is VITAL to the survival of polar bears. That is where they hunt (seals) from, and that is how they get the fat to survive the time when they are on shore hibernating. I went to Churchill last October (2008). If you are really interested in the truth, rather than just coming up with some hair brained view that just supports your opinion, the science is out there. Where they don't know, they will say so. Churchill is quite far south, but is in a unique location for sea ice, hence the number of polar bears. When looking at numbers the thoughtful person will also factor in the hunting situation eg. open, limited etc.
Peter.

So, are we concerned about the global population, or just that part of the population that frequents northern Canada and Alaska? Obviously two very different questions. I happened to come on a WWF commercial on european television, while I was in Cuba and it was a real tear jerker. You'd swear there was just one poor little cub and mama left out there, fighting against all odds. Send a few bucks and we'll save them. rotflmo
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BW:
Given that very few of us have actually seen a polar bear, most are not likely to know if the science is correct or not.

So we go with science, which say yes.

The folks in Churchhill have seen an increase in their area, but that may be due to ice retreating, not increased bear numbers.

I know for a fact that there's less ice around the shores of the Bueafort Sea in the last few summers.

The real question for Alaskans is...

Are our activities on the North Slope causing the decline?

I'd say that answer is no, not directly.

There are apparently more than a dozen subpopulations, meaning groups of animals whose ranges generally overlap with each other but not with the ranges of animals in other subpopulations, distributed across the circumpolar region. Furthermore, individual bears may range over 125 square miles and only a few of those bears have ranges in areas frequented by people. Given that, I'm not sure how anyone without a whole bunch of satellite transmitter tags, the ability to distribute those tags among bears in all of the subpopulations and a good mind for population dynamics could even make a good guess at whether polar bears in general are on the decline or not.

The same is true on a smaller scale of animals in any given subpopulation.

So, since most posting here seem to agree that we know very little about how polar bear populations change over time how can any of us think we can tell either whether or how human activities affect those populations.

Personally, I hope human activities aren't directly contributing to global warming or changing polar bear populations, but I really have no way to judge whether they are or are not. Assuming that we don't want to affect either of those issues and until we can at least make an educated guess at answering the questions posed here one way or the other I believe we should take a conservative approach to human activities in the arctic.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Ratltrap,

Good post.

Personally I'm less inclined to worry about the actual activity in the arctic than the overall trend of decreasing sea ice.

Not making any judgment here on what's causing the ice to decline, only that it certainly has in the area I operate.

Polar bears seem very unimpressed with human presence in the arctic.

Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

Just saw your response. I am afraid, you terribly uninformed. You have been taken in by the same pap science as Dirk Kempthorne of USFWS. Suffice to say the sea ice has yet to decline significantly beyond that of normal cycles. The bears are thriving. I suppose I could copy and paste the dozens of papers to refute your powerful statement of bullshit, but I won't be able to take the time right now. Please do a little more research, particulary Conservation Force can be an excellent source to evolve your views re: Polar Bear.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana, I am not going to get into it with you as your mind is already made up, witness your discounting what the USFWS says, so you seek out people of like mind. I have an acquaintance who has a lot of websites "proving" that aliens are real and there is a government plot to keep that news from us. I am sure you are familair with these sites. I was in Churchill Manitoba last October and THEY say that the sea ice is behaving differently. But what do they know. I agree that my comment of "bullshit" was over the top and uncalled for. I apologize for that. End of my posts on this topic.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not believe anything from a government worker, but in 2003 my inuit guide on my polar bear hunt (he was 60 at the time) said that when he was a kid the permafrost was six inches below the surface in summer and now it is more than 3 feet down. I beleive him that the weather has warmed since he was a kid on average.

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Given Bawana is unwilling, or unable, to present any facts, I will go with personal experience in the area.

Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay if someone can tell me how to insert articles from my email I will present what I can.

Yes, I am an internet dumbass...but an open minded one.

Peter I wrote about this in Sports Afield recently. The USFWS decision is based on politics and pap science.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SG, Your guide would have been a "kid" in the '30's, a decade identified as being abnormally cold (check it out), so it is not surprising that the permafrost would have been much closer to the surface during that time. Was it "normal" then and "abnormal" now? Or the other way around? What is normal in a dynamic environment? Polar bears have been around a long time. I'm sure there were bears when the Norsemen were farming on Greenland and the world was much warmer and during the last "mini ice age" during the middle ages. And there are substantially more polar bears around today than just 30 years ago, what's that about?

Would the world be better off if the temperature was 3 or 4 degrees warmer on average, as opposed to 3 or 4 degrees colder? Let's get something straight the earth may be warming a bit over the last few years. But is it? Actually there has been cooling on average since the start of this decade. What is the trend? Will it continue? Will we start a substantial cooling trend as many scientists now say due to various phenomena now occuring with the sun (after all it has more impact on our climate than anything else)?

The debate about "global warming" is supposedly over, not because there was a real debate, but because the folks championing that cause have simply declared it over. "Oh, I heard there is no more debate about this, so it 'must' be so."

The only thing clear and known in this whole debate is that the debate itself is about two things, "money" and "political power" and not about the climate or the environment. Just today there is a study out that shows that many birds are in crisis throughout the country, especially in Hawaii and that across the country a major component of their decline is so called "clean energy", i.e. windfarms that kill raptors and huge quantities of other birds and vast cornfields for ethanol production that destroy habitat diversity, etc., yet we are about to plunge head long into more of this? Yet we don't hear a peep out of the new administration about nuclear energy, a completely carbon free form of energy, that could be both plentiful and safe (just ask France and the rest of Western Europe). We also don't hear anything about immigration reform or population control, after all the human population is going to rise by 2.5 billion in the next 20 years and everyone of us emit the "toxic" gas CO2 every time we exhale.

So when these "green" folks quit distorting the facts for political purposes and start talking about the real issues, like real energy independence, habitat and wildlife preservation, and population and immigration control instead of using pretext to create voting blocks and power bases, I'll start listening. Until then they should shut the f...up.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys I will post some science to refute the big melt off if I can get a little help.

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Peter I wrote about this in Sports Afield recently.

quote:
Guys I will post some science to refute the big melt off if I can get a little help.

You made it through all this...?

quote:
How to submit articles and photos to Sports Afield

All manuscripts must be submitted on CD-ROM; both Mac and PC formats are acceptable. Microsoft Word files are preferred. Please include a hard copy of the article. Finished articles should not be submitted via e-mail unless specifically requested in that format by the editor. (It's OK to send queries via e-mail.) We will not review any simultaneous submissions or stories that have been previously published elsewhere. Please keep a copy of your article and digital photos as we do not return CD-ROMs.

Photographic support is extremely important. Every article submission must be accompanied by a a CD of at least ten different high-resolution digital images. There should be a good variety of images, including action shots of hunters glassing and hiking, photos of the camp and terrain, and a “trophy shot.” Photos of hunters posing with their trophies should be tasteful, respectful (please don’t sit on the animal), free of blood, and show the animal to best advantage. Please do not send slides, black-and-white photos, or color prints. Digital photos must a resolution of 300 dpi at 8x10 inches in size, taken with a camera of not less than 6 megapixels. We accept JPG, TIF, EPS, and RAW images. Please do not process or sharpen your photos using Photoshop or other image-processing software.

Include a photo release form for all recognizable people pictured in your photographs (other than family members or guides), and submit clear captions for each photograph that include: names of people depicted, location, date, activity, and relevance to the story subject.

...and can't C&P an article to a forum?

Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Helpful...

And it's email smartass...

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
quote:

Classic! Big Grin

Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
nswered by Dr. Andrew Derocher
Some recent media reports have cited inaccurate data concerning polar bears. For clarification on polar bear numbers, we turned to Dr. Andrew Derocher, Chair of the IUCN/SSC Polar Bear Specialist Group.

Dr. Derocher is a polar bear scientist with the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada. He also serves on PBI's Scientific Advisory Council.

Question: The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has proposed that the polar bear be listed as a threatened species. Yet some news reports state that polar bear numbers are actually increasing. For example, the following paragraph appeared on the Fox News Web site:

"In the 1950s the polar bear population up north was estimated at 5,000. Today it's 20- to 25,000, a number that has either held steady over the last 20 years or has risen slightly. In Canada, the manager of wildlife resources for the Nunavut territory of Canada has found that the population there has increased by 25 percent."

If this is true, then why are scientists worried about population declines?

Answer from Dr. Derocher: The various presentations of biased reporting ignore, or are ignorant of, the different reasons for changes in populations. If I thought that there were more bears now than 50 years ago and a reasonable basis to assume this would not change, then no worries. This is not the case.

The bottom line here is that it is an apples and oranges issue. The early estimates of polar bear abundance are a guess. There is no data at all for the 1950-60s. Nothing but guesses. We are sure the populations were being negatively affected by excess harvest (e.g., aircraft hunting, ship hunting,self-killing guns, traps, and no harvest limits). The harvest levels were huge and growing. The resulting low numbers of bears were due only to excess harvest but, again, it was simply a guess as to the number of bears.

After the signing of the International Agreement on Polar Bears in the 1970s, harvests were controlled and the numbers increased. There is no argument from anyone on this point. Some populations recovered very slowly (e.g., Barents Sea took almost 30 years) but some recovered faster. Some likely never were depressed by hunting that much, but the harvest levels remained too high and the populations subsequently declined. M'Clintock Channel is a good example. The population is currently down by over 60% of historic levels due only to overharvesting. Some populations recovered as harvests were controlled, but have since declined due to climate-related effects (e.g., Western Hudson Bay). In Western Hudson Bay, previously sustainable harvests cannot be maintained as the reproductive and survival rates have declined due to changes in the sea ice.

At this point, we lack quantitative data for an overall assessment of trend in Canada or Nunavut as a whole. There is, however, very strong evidence for a decline in Western Hudson Bay and the Southern Beaufort Sea based on quantitative studies. More recently, scientists working in the Southern Hudson Bay have reported a major decline in the condition of polar bears. A decline in condition was the precursor to the population decline in Western Hudson Bay. There is clear suggestion of a population decline due to over-harvest in Baffin Bay, Kane Basin and possibly Norwegian Bay.

The point is that you cannot simply summarize the status of polar bears—the information lies in the individual populations. You cannot put the various time periods together into a simplistic overview. Sea ice is declining but again, it is not declining the same everywhere. Some small areas of multi-year ice may improve habitat for polar bears. This latter point, however, does not mean that the habitat in all areas will improve and the predictions are very clear that the primary habitat of polar bears is at risk.

We can control harvests through management and these efforts are underway for several of the over-harvested populations. So far, I have not seen any movement on serious consideration of reducing greenhouse gases in North America (or other countries with few exceptions). Climate warming is not under control and I do not see the management changes coming to effect the needed changes in climate change emissions.

Look at the messengers: lobby groups for big business say there is no problem. Yes, conservation groups moved the issue forward for listing under the Endangered Species Act but this was already an issue that was founded on scientific information. The IUCN/SSC Polar Bear Specialist Group was moving on a Vulnerable designation (the same as Threatened under the Endangered Species Act) before anybody heard of actions from environmental groups. Sea ice change and habitat loss is the key driving force. Ignore the bears for a moment and look at the evidence for sea ice change: NASA is a key player in looking at the actual decreases in sea ice. It is an easy matter to put the dots together: no habitat, no seals; no seals, no bears. This never was an issue of polar bears alone. The only effective conservation approach is to protect the habitat and this is an issue of climate change. You can distort the issue any way you so desire. At the end of the day, the sea ice is disappearing. Take away the habitat and the species follows shortly thereafter (or before).

Comparing declines caused by harvest followed by recovery from harvest controls to declines from loss of habitat and climate warming are apples and oranges. Ignorant people write ignorant things.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
counterpoint:

quote:
ESA LISTING NOT NEEDED FOR POLAR BEARS

Environmental activists have presented only one academic study that shows any negative effect of warming temperatures on polar bears, and only anecdotal evidence of bears drowning and eating each other, says H. Sterling Burnett, senior fellow at the National Center for Policy Analysis.

Other, more comprehensive research suggests the plight of that one population does not reflect the polar bear population trend as a whole:

* Since the 1970s, while much of the world was warming, polar bear numbers increased dramatically, from roughly 5,000 to 25,000 bears -- a higher polar bear population than has existed at any time in the twentieth century.
* Scientists believe polar bears thrived in the past in temperatures even warmer than at present -- during the medieval warm period 1,000 years ago and during the Holocene Climate Optimum between 5,000 and 9,000 years ago.
* Dr. Mitchell Taylor, a biologist with Nunavut Territorial government in Canada says the polar bear population in Canada alone has increased 25 percent from 12,000 to 15,000 during the past decade, with 11 of Canada's 13 polar bear populations stable or increasing in number.

Groups such as the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) have written on the threats allegedly posed to polar bears populations from global warming. But their analysis isn't supported by the data, says Burnett:

* Only two bear populations -- accounting for about 16.4 percent of the total number of bears -- are decreasing, and they are in areas where air temperatures have actually fallen, such as the Baffin Bay region.
* By contrast, another two populations -- about 13.6 percent of the total number -- are growing, and they live in areas where air temperatures have risen, near the Bering Strait and the Chukchi Sea.
* As for the rest, 10 populations representing about 45.4 percent of the total number of bears are stable, and the status of the remaining six populations is unknown.

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hope the 2 articles above are not suppose to be Bwana's great evidence that the sea ice is not decreasing.

One article actually acknowledges sea ice is reducing in size, using NASA as a source. The other doesn't even address the issue.

Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
bwana - if you're still having trouble, forward the email to me and i can post it for you.

i have no dog in this fight and stand firmly on both sides of the issue - global warming, climate change, or whatever you want to call it is obviously happening, but i ahve my doubts that man is much of the cause. this earth has been here too long to let a puny thng like the human race destroy it. having said that, i see no reason not to practice the best environmental policies possible when and where they are feasible.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Big T.

My main computer melted down that contained the emails. That was the pbm I was having...MaybeSmiler. Once I have it back I will post what I have and everyone can decide for themselves. Except for Brian as he may not be right, but he is certainly not in doubt... dancing

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mar 16th

Peter,

Just saw your response. I am afraid, you terribly uninformed... ...I suppose I could copy and paste the dozens of papers to refute your powerful statement of bullshit, but I won't be able to take the time right now.

Mar 18th

Okay if someone can tell me how to insert articles from my email I will present what I can.

Mar 20th

Mar 23rd

26 March

My main computer melted down that contained the emails. That was the pbm I was having...MaybeSmiler. Once I have it back I will post what I have...

Why am I not surprised.

Next week, we'll hear about how the internet is broken. Smiler

Why not just post a link? This information should be published on the internet (quick, before it breaks or Al Gore pulls the plug.)

If the only evidence that sea ice is not retreating, and not adversely affecting polar bears was on your computer, then the whole world could be at risk! What else was on there!!! Big Grin

Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My PORNO.... rotflmo

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Now that was funny! Smiler

Brian

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dr. Andrew Derocher, Chair of the IUCN/SSC Polar Bear Specialist Group
“Sea ice change and habitat loss is the key driving force. Ignore the bears for a moment and look at the evidence for sea ice change: NASA is a key player in looking at the actual decreases in sea ice. It is an easy matter to put the dots together: no habitat, no seals; no seals, no bears. This never was an issue of polar bears alone. The only effective conservation approach is to protect the habitat and this is an issue of climate change. You can distort the issue any way you so desire. At the end of the day, the sea ice is disappearing.”
I do recollect earlier this year that NASA admitted once again that “faulty computer programming” overestimated something; earlier it was the predicted global warming rate this while time it is the predicted decline of sea ice at both poles.

Actual satellite photographic evidence contradicts the early 2008 claims of many of the alleged conservation and global warming groups predictions that “the North Pole ice cap would disappear by the end of year”.

------
Sea Ice Ends Year at Same Leval as 1979
http://www.dailytech.com/Article.aspx?newsid=13834

Rapid growth spurt leaves amount of ice at levels seen 29 years ago.

Thanks to a rapid rebound in recent months, global sea ice levels now equal those seen 29 years ago, when the year 1979 also drew to a close.

Thirty years of sea ice data. The record begins at 1979, the year satellite observations began
(Source: Arctic Research Center, University of Illinois)

Ice levels had been tracking lower throughout much of 2008, but rapidly recovered in the last quarter. In fact, the rate of increase from September onward is the fastest rate of change on record, either upwards or downwards.

The data is being reported by the University of Illinois's Arctic Climate Research Center, and is derived from satellite observations of the Northern and Southern hemisphere polar regions.

Each year, millions of square kilometers of sea ice melt and refreeze. However, the mean ice anomaly -- defined as the seasonally-adjusted difference between the current value and the average from 1979-2000, varies much more slowly. That anomaly now stands at just under zero, a value identical to one recorded at the end of 1979, the year satellite record-keeping began.

Sea ice is floating and, unlike the massive ice sheets anchored to bedrock in Greenland and Antarctica, doesn't affect ocean levels. However, due to its transient nature, sea ice responds much faster to changes in temperature or precipitation and is therefore a useful barometer of changing conditions.

Earlier this year, predictions were rife that the North Pole could melt entirely in 2008. Instead, the Arctic ice saw a substantial recovery. Bill Chapman, a researcher with the UIUC's Arctic Center, tells DailyTech this was due in part to colder temperatures in the region. Chapman says wind patterns have also been weaker this year. Strong winds can slow ice formation as well as forcing ice into warmer waters where it will melt.

Why were predictions so wrong? Researchers had expected the newer sea ice, which is thinner, to be less resilient and melt easier. Instead, the thinner ice had less snow cover to insulate it from the bitterly cold air, and therefore grew much faster than expected, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center.

In May, concerns over disappearing sea ice led the U.S. to officially list the polar bear a threatened species, over objections from experts who claimed the animal's numbers were increasing.
----------

One large volcano eruption impacts the earth’s climate more than human activities. It’s time that many accept the notion that climate change has cycled throughout the history of this planet. If one reads history they’d read how the Vikings sailed though North Pole water passages in the 1400’s. Most likely it’ll happen again. Were Polar Bears alive in the 1400’s, don’t know, haven’t studied the issue. But I’d hazard a guess that yes, they’ll be around just as will be the human species.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Summarizing the Climate Debate

Lee C. Gerhard

In this time of a new administration, it is clear that the media and most of the recently elected members of Congress are unanimous in attacking global warming, even as the globe cools substantially and many are suffering from the ravages of cold and snow and ice. Nevertheless, those who accept the myth that human activities are responsible for global climate change, particularly global warming threaten the very existence of modern society with demands to drastically reduce the generation of electrical power and substitute theology for science.

The real argument arises from the claim that emissions of carbon dioxide from human activities are warming the climate, and will inevitably lead to ecocatastrophe.

If this claim is true, then climate change over the last one hundred years must have taken place at rates and ranges never before seen in history. It didn’t! Ignoring all the ice core data that show that global temperature has been decreasing for the last 8000 years, anthropogenic climate change advocate James Hanson, in a letter to the President Obama, argues that the temperature of today is as high as it has been since the end of the last glaciation. All the historic temperature data show that the argument is specious. It is not only unsubstantiated, it is patently untrue.

To establish that emissions of carbon dioxide from human activities are the cause of global warming, there must be a direct and close correlation between increasing temperature over the last 100 years and increasing carbon dioxide concentration levels in the atmosphere.

Except for a decade or two, over the last 100 years, there is no correlation. While positive correlation is not proof of cause, negative correlation disproves cause.

To establish that emissions of carbon dioxide from human activities are the cause of global warming, there must be a plausible theory substantiated by laboratory testing, that increased concentration of carbon dioxide has a significant effect on temperature.

The thermodynamics of carbon dioxide specify that the relationship between carbon dioxide and temperature is logarithmic, decreasing exponentially with carbon dioxide concentration. 95-99% of the possible total effect of carbon dioxide had already been accomplished when its level in the atmosphere reached about 280 ppm. Therefore, doubling, tripling, or even quadrupling the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will have essentially no effect on future temperature, especially in a wet atmosphere, the normal state of the earth’s envelope.

It is critically important to identify the real cause of climate change before irrational public policies are adopted and Draconian economic sanctions are placed on Western Civilization. The causes of short term changes in climate are many. Long term climate drivers are not so easy to identify. There is, however, a record of climate change in the historic and geologic past that identifies solar and orbital variations as the essential drivers of long-term climate change.

Actual measured solar intensity variations are not large, and the disciples of anthropogenic global warming (AGW ) have argued that it is too small to account for the temperature changes that have taken place, although the changes in carbon dioxide levels are too small also.

To make their case, the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) tells its faithful believers that the exponential decrease in the effects of increased carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere must be offset by “amplifiers” to arrive at the temperature projections their computer models spew. The fallacy of that argument is that the amplifiers work no matter what the driver may be, since the amplifiers are derived from the temperature changes themselves, not driver mechanisms. It seems that the IPCC is returning to the astronomy of Ptolemy and the cycles and epicycles he relied upon to explain the motion of the moon and planets while still claiming the Earth was the center of the universe.

What we do know is that there is a close correlation between solar and orbital variability and climate change. We can relate recorded temperature change to documented solar cycles. For instance, we can identify that the 1934 temperature spike (the warmest temperature in the United States in the last 100 years) marks the beginning of a Gleissberg cycle (the 60-80 year-long solar cycle, and the warming leading to the 1998 spike the other end of the cycle. In between the warm spikes there was a 30-year cooling from about 1940 to 1970. From those data one can predict, as I did, that the current temperature should trend downward in response to lower solar activity, which it has.

The very fact that we can predict changes in temperature and match those predictions with history as well as current events makes this correlation a much more rigorous and therefore credible hypothesis for causation than just simple correlation of past events. Similarly, we can predict, and do, that the millennial cycle is close to a major change, having previously been high about 1000 A.D., and due now for a decline. This matches predictions that the next solar cycle will be the weakest since the Little Ice Age around 1750, and may presage a longterm decline in global temperature.

The computer models upon which the AGW adherents have based their argument have not been able to predict, nor have they been able to replicate documented climate change which has already occurred. They predict continuing warming, but it has been cooling for ten years. Why should we accept their predictions of climate change yet to come?

There is no substantial credible scientific evidence that carbon dioxide is the driver of modern climate or accounts for climate change on Earth since the last ice age. Those who still argue that it is will not acknowledge the failure of their hypothesis because there is too much money and social engineering based upon their theory to abandon it. But claiming humans are causing significant global climate change is no longer science. It is theology.

Dr. Lee C. Gerhard is a geologist who has studied meteorology since 1958 and climate change since 1964. He is retired as Getty Professor of Geological Engineering at the Colorado School of Mines and also as State Geologist and Director of the Kansas
Geological Survey. He has published more than 200 scientific and policy papers, including 20 evaluating causes of climate change. He wasd elected to the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, US Section in 2007, and is an Honorary Member of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, Kansas Geological Society, and the AAPG’s Division of Environmental Geosciences. He is a Fellow of the Geological Society of America. He lectures widely about environment and natural resources policy and about climate change.

No trees were killed in the making of this email, however, a large number of electrons were severely inconvenienced

OK Brian, I'll start with this one...

Jeff