New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kuiu Island bear?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going to put in this year for the draw on a non resident black bear tag and am looking at Kuiu Island as a possibility. I see a few lodges offering boat rentals for bear hunts on the North side of POW. The boat trip between the two islands does seem a bit intimidating. It looks like Kuiu itself has little to nothing in the way of lodging and services. I see you can rent a forest service cabin in a couple of places. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kuiu is difficult and expensive for anyone even when you really know what you are doing
try looking at NOAA website Shorezone to see what island looks like

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 396 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your input. I see that the success rate is very high on Kuiu but the lack of infrastructure does present a challenge. I understand that fall black bear hunts now must originate from a boat as well. I'm still researching my options.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
I wonder WHY a fall hunt on Kuiu has to be boat based??

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can base your hunt out of Kake and hunt both Kuiu and Kupreanof Islands. I've always brought a boat with me on the ferry, but I've heard you can rent a skiff out of Kake.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Posts: 83 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks like we drew spring on Kuiu Island....now for the planning phase.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Good on you! Please keep us informed on what you find out on planning, resources, etc. I've done POW island twice, mainly fishing. Can't wait to get back up there.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
Make sure you look at the tide charts if you are considering staying in one of the cabins (only 2) on the island. If you come in for the night and it's low tide, it could be very dangerous as it can be a long walk. Some of those tidal flats can be very mucky.....almost like quicksand.

From Devils Elbow cabin description
"A 16-foot tide is required for direct float plane access to the cabin. Arrival at lower tides will require a half-mile walk on the tide flat."

Brett

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like we will be staying at Pt. Baker on POW and traveling between the two islands. Should be an adventure. Does anyone have a recommendation as to who to use for travel insurance? Thank you all for the information so far.
Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
The trip across from Point Baker can be uneventful, to truly life threatening, depending on the day. I hope you are using a decent size boat and not a skiff.
Remember, getting across isn't the biggest challenge, it is getting back. You mustr have provisions to spend the night on the other side of the channel if weather dictates.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your input Bill. I spent a couple of summers on Kodiak and worked the oil clean up in '89. I saw how fast things can change. I have a ton of respect for the weather and will be watching that VERY closely.
Steve