Notify
Tools

Early Inuit Life
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first picture is very cool! Thx for the link.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2080 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fascinating. Happier then or now?

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bhtkevin
posted Hide Post
Loved the pics but the captions where dreadful.

Posts: 147 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Exactly why were the captions dreadful?

Eskimo is not a bad word. Forget the political correctness and look at the content.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Notice the first picture. Perhaps the Texas heart shot needs to be renamed the Eskimo heart shot?

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
The whole article is dreadfully written, but the photos are fascinating.
If anyone is interested in Inuit life, find a copy of this book: "Kabloona." You will love it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16529 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forget the political correctness and look at the content.

That, is not possible in our modern world. I think it is a great piece of history, and that is just exactly what it is, History, and should be viewed as such. Different time - different manner and wording than today.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
The whole article is dreadfully written, but the photos are fascinating.
If anyone is interested in Inuit life, find a copy of this book: "Kabloona." You will love it.

"Kabloona" = good. In it you meet a young Scotsman about to join the Hudson Bay Co. You find mention of the same man (grown old) in a later book "Ten Years in the Arctic" by Duncan Pryde. The latter book is spellbinding. I tried to find the author (Duncan Pryde), but he had moved to the Isle of Whyte, and didn't reply to my letter. I later learned he had died. Read "Kabloona", and then read Pryde's book. Holler at me if you want a copy...it's here somewhere.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool pictures, must have been a hell of a hard life......but they all look pretty happy

Posts: 88 | Location: Hampton Virginia  | Registered: 02 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Conifer and all, after you've read "drunken Duncan"'s book, look for "An Arctic Man" by Ernie Lyall.

I was close friends of both,and Ernie wrote his book to counter some of the "BS & Bologna" (as he described it) in Duncan's book.

Both are good reading and gave a good view of the Canadian arctic in the 60's & early 70's. Both are long gone but I still have their memories and think of evenings learning the language from Ernie's wife!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 55 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 31 March 2010Reply With Quote