New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose outfitters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any suggestions for excellent moose hunt outfitters? I can not afford a Yukon moose hunt for the 20K price tag they seem to start at. Cheers and thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure--hop on the internet--newfoundland wilderness outfitters--Dylan Steffen, outfitter. They are hunting now.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try caribou vally outfitters (Dean Wheeler) Newfoundland.

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
watch the discount hunt forum on this site, there aren't any right now, but it seems every year there are a couple. If my memory serves me correctly, you can get on a western Canadian moose hunt for $6k-$8k.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Newf's got moose? Do you have to be able to sing the "Rubber Boot Song" to get the discount?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that you mention it,,,, you can find all kinds of locals who live in rural Alaska who guide under the table (they have been doing it for years too and usually do a deal where outside hunter gets the rack and some of the meat for around 1000 bucks). They have the outside hunter take a 60 some inch bull that they would have harvested for winter meat near their isolated cabin. The outside hunter gets a nice rack and the local gets their meat (what is really important)

There has always been a debate in Ak about outside guides taking too much of the resource at the expense of local subsistence users. I never thought much about the issue until the guide from Cody made a comment here about packing his meat and such. Now, I guess I'm in the screw those lower 48 guides camp; pay more attention to the local Alaskans who need the fresh meat. Truth be told, most guides fly way back in and don't go for the same moose many of the locals do, but still many ALaskans feel the same guides have no right to the moose anyway.

Honesty, you'll find many of the guides are in competition for the limited number of people who will pay thousands upon thousands to kill a moose or bear. They brag about their exploits, kills, and success; but you will find a certain % of their clients don't feel all that good concerning the hunt.

Now this site appears to be a pro guide site, but what I'm telling you is the truth (about people charging 1000 bucks for a 60 inch bull and it drives the guides nuts too). I myself wouldn't give 50 bucks to shoot any bear or moose. If I ever needed the meat to survive, I sure wouldn't worry about any laws or regulations;;; or ever pay a guide (who is taking from Alaska) a single red cent. I sure wouldn't worry about packing his meat. Screw the guides; they shouldn't even be allowed in Alaska; and I'm in that camp nowadays.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful Zhurh. There are a lot of ticked off locals in unit 13 because of illegal non-resident moose guiding. There were some bad incidents of Anchorage hunters with cubs bombing into some of the lakes in the Chugach and disrupting moose camps.

I would look at Hunt AK with Virgil Umphenhour or Grizzly Skins with Phil Shoemaker. Either one would be the experience of a lifetime.

I also know that the Ellis outfit has some good moose hunts. You could also just contact 40 mile air in Tok, Alaska and set up your own hunt.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard Gardner, Delta Jcn. honest, sincere, helpful, incredibly knowledgeable, showed me many moose when I hunted caribou with him. Price better than most.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now that you mention it,,,, you can find all kinds of locals who live in rural Alaska who guide under the table (they have been doing it for years too and usually do a deal where outside hunter gets the rack and some of the meat for around 1000 bucks). They have the outside hunter take a 60 some inch bull that they would have harvested for winter meat near their isolated cabin. The outside hunter gets a nice rack and the local gets their meat (what is really important)

There has always been a debate in Ak about outside guides taking too much of the resource at the expense of local subsistence users. I never thought much about the issue until the guide from Cody made a comment here about packing his meat and such. Now, I guess I'm in the screw those lower 48 guides camp; pay more attention to the local Alaskans who need the fresh meat. Truth be told, most guides fly way back in and don't go for the same moose many of the locals do, but still many ALaskans feel the same guides have no right to the moose anyway.

Honesty, you'll find many of the guides are in competition for the limited number of people who will pay thousands upon thousands to kill a moose or bear. They brag about their exploits, kills, and success; but you will find a certain % of their clients don't feel all that good concerning the hunt.

Now this site appears to be a pro guide site, but what I'm telling you is the truth (about people charging 1000 bucks for a 60 inch bull and it drives the guides nuts too). I myself wouldn't give 50 bucks to shoot any bear or moose. If I ever needed the meat to survive, I sure wouldn't worry about any laws or regulations;;; or ever pay a guide (who is taking from Alaska) a single red cent. I sure wouldn't worry about packing his meat. Screw the guides; they shouldn't even be allowed in Alaska; and I'm in that camp nowadays.

Zhurh,

Your promotion of illegal guiding is irresponsible and dangerous. Illegal guiding is not common practice nor is it tolerated by AK, F&G. Three people I am acquainted with have been convicted of illegal guiding. The fines incurred by these convicted illegal guides and their confiscated equipment caused these folks and their families significant financial hardship. They also lost their hunting priviledges. It's not worth it!!!

In the client's case he only looses his trophy but isn't that the reason he booked the hunt? Now if someone reading your post started making inquires in bush Alaska about an illegal hunt I bet therewould be further punishment for soliciting an illegal hunt.

You sir should keep your opinions to yourself on this subject. Promotion of this illegal behavior particularly on the Internet could cause you to recieve a very umcomfortable visit from various authorities. Think about it!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed 100% , Mark. Not only that but Fish & Feathers will come after you even if you live in another state. Conviction can result in, among other things, a loss of hunting privileges not only in Ak. but in numerous other states.
Don't even go there with that.
I do happen to agree with Zhurh on the non-resident registered guide thing though. I think a licensed registered guide should be a resident. It's a paradox that a non-resident registered guide can book sheep, large bear or goat hunts but yet he, himself would need a licensed guide if he wanted to hunt the same animal. Justa thought.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear

You are mistaken sir wen you say that if he was a registered guide but is a non resident of the state he wouldnot need a a guide to Hunt Bear or Sheep. He would and does.
Being a registeed guide outfitter permits him to guide non resident clients or even residents for money and allows him to conduct business as such but being a non resident he himslf if he personally wants to purdue those species as a non resident he has to have a guide to do so.

Also while he is under contract for ant hunting clients for any Big Gane species he is not allowed to do any hunting legally for himself even if he has an assistant guide guiding the client in the field.

Just thought I would clarify. Read all the regulations for Guides and Non Residents and you will see that

Just thought I would clarify

Doug Klunder

Posts: 163 | Location: United States | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Thankfully commerce laws are written to protect silly ideas like free trade, free enterprise and capitalism, so isolationist protectionists are prevented from unduly restricting industry, in this case in Alaska.

I remain dissapointed that more Alaskans do not take advantage of the tourism industry jobs available to them here. Non residents in a variety of regions seasonally emmigrate to work because there is a dirth of locals willing to fill the positions. Mexicans emmigrate to the US because there are jobs available to them. Non resident guides emmigrate to Alaska there are jobs available to them that the locals as of yet have not filled.

The Alaska State Troopers can and will confiscate all assets, equipment and property used in conjunction with an illegal guiding operation. Odds are good felony charges will be filed. Who here thinks being a felon sounds good?

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simple question: As a non resident am I able to purchase the needed tags and hunt with a local (non relative) that I am not paying using his boat, ATV, plane, etc.
ie. I have an old college friend whom has often invited me to come hunt moose with him in Ak., he is a long time resident of the state. He tells me " just bring your clothes and rifle I'll supply all the equipment. As I live in Pa. hauling my atv, boat, motor, etc. will be out of the question as will bringing all my moose meat home. So he'll keep most of the meat. No money will exchange hands and I'll pay for some of the fuel and food.
Is this not legal?

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Degas:
Simple question: As a non resident am I able to purchase the needed tags and hunt with a local (non relative) that I am not paying using his boat, ATV, plane, etc.
ie. I have an old college friend whom has often invited me to come hunt moose with him in Ak., he is a long time resident of the state. He tells me " just bring your clothes and rifle I'll supply all the equipment. As I live in Pa. hauling my atv, boat, motor, etc. will be out of the question as will bringing all my moose meat home. So he'll keep most of the meat. No money will exchange hands and I'll pay for some of the fuel and food.
Is this not legal?

It is legal and I do it all the time. I have a friend from North Dakota that hunts moose with me under here in the same circumstances you describe. I hunt with him in North Dakota for upland birds and waterfowl. No difference. A friend of mine in Idaho hunts with me and I with him.

I am not paid for my hospitality nor are they.

For brown bear, sheep and I think mtn goat a guide is required for non residents to hunt. Don't take my word for it, reg's are available and well written so easy to understand.

Don't be fooled by either side. Guides are not a vital component to a successful non resident hunt but on the other hand guided hunts can be quite good. You can do it yourself or you can hire most of the work done. This fall other than the jet skiff that can be rented in Dillingham my gear supply was small enough to fly on the airline with. I was quite comfortable. Other times my camp has required a trip to haul gear into camp a week before the hunt and a trip to tear down the last of camp the week after the hunt was over. Those camps put most guided camps to shame.

Friends in Alaska or North Dakota or Idaho seem to work out the best since they should have all required gear, apparently they like spending time with you and you should already know how successful a hunter they are. If your friend meets these standards I'd say you are in good form.

As an aside, I'd recommend bringing home some moose meat. Its quite good and flying with frozen meat on the airline is very common. Me and mine do it with no problems.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote