New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Bear Hunt With BW
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently returned from two weeks of bear hunting in SE Alaska...we spent a week hunting browns and a week chasing blacks. Finally got to meet fellow AR member BW, and we had a great time chasing bears. I flew down with two of my friends and Brian picked us up and put up with us without a complaint

Some of you may have seen this post on 24hour, I can't access AR from work so wasn't able to share it here until now.

Unfortunately, I didn't take many pictures of the brown bear hunting activities with my still camera, and haven't figured out how to pull still shots off the video camera, so don't have many pictures on hand to post of the brown bear hunting. I didn't get a brownie, but we saw lots and managed to keep them on their toes. Here's a pic of the brown bear my friend shot. He's from out of state, and had a great time on a sort of father/son hunt with my buddy Matt..

We enjoyed some unbelievable weather, it took several days for my sunburn to finish peeling off. We also pulled BW's crab pots a couple times and feasted on some dungies a couple evenings.

My brother and another friend joined me for the second week of the trip and we had equally fine weather and adventure. We each managed to get a black bear. Here's a photo of my friend Jim with his...

Also, one of me and mine...taken on Mother's Day. Am sending the skull down to Mom, since I didn't send flowers...heh. One shot at 160yds and he hit the dirt chin first. JJHACK was kind enough to load me up a batch of his favorite 270gr SAF's for my .375, and I found the bullet just under the hide on the opposite side after sending it through both front shoulders...

This is one of my brother with his bear, taken at 28yds with his bow. It was his first bow kill. I was a little skeptical of the whole deal, but I must say it turned out perfect. Broadside shot through both lungs, just behind the shoulder. Those Muzzy broadheads are certainly formidable. When struck, he half-reared and turned to bite at the wound..then disappeared into the brush, a couple bounds away. He was stacked up not too far into the trees...

Anyway, one more pic from the trip:

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures. We had an excellent time and especially enjoyed hanging out with Brian (BW)...can't wait to return to his part of the state for some fishing!

dave

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

Nice to hear you had a great time, those are some very nice bears, SE Alaska have great ones. I will be on POW this August myself,I will be fishing for silvers and halibut.Thank for the pics sounds like you had a great time,kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote