Find
Notify
Tools

2008 spring bear photos/stories.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted
My father and I leave May 8 next week for a brown bear hunt with Kelly Vrem on the penninsula. Does anyone have any pics or a story for the season so far????
Thanks
wesley

Posts: 674 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
It's not a coastal bear, but an interior Griz, I estimated him at 8 foot-plus, I was moose hunting in a Bow hunting only area when I saw him, but couldn't get close to even get a picture, the closest I ranged him was 640 yards, he winded me and bolted. He wanted nothing to do with me. Good luck on your B.Bear hunt...theres some monsters there on the pen.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I hope to have a success story in about week or 2.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
had a client bust a 9'10" boar with a 27.5" skull at 40 yards on kodiak april 18th, saw 15 bears and passed up three on the first day, hunting was awesome, it was the 10th bear sealed on the island then, i head back out tomorrow....hunting should be getting really really good in the next two weeks!!
have a great hunt!!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
416, where do you hunt??? sounds like the bears are poping out.
Thanks
wesley

Posts: 674 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
He guides out on Kodiak....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ya kodiak, east side half way down, been talking with the bio outa glennallen this week, they collared 10 bears last week, thats with helicopter in the snow, they said most were sows and cubs but they did tag some nice ones as well. Bears will come out regardless of snow amounts, they know how to dig, it won't keep them in the den, bears are out, just not all of them.

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
416 and AKsheephunter, Thanks, my father and I shot the 375's yesterday for the last time prior to the hunt.Plane leaves 6am next thursday,should be in camp friday afternoon and start the hunt saturday morning.We ahve both been to alaska numerous times but both have the pre trip jitters. If the weather and bears cooperate hopefully we will be successful.I think we will be right across from Kodiak Is. on the penn. Will give full report upon return.
Thanks
wesley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy Wesley--

Thanks for sharing the pre-trip jitters with us-- I feel your excitement.

Do let us know how the trip to the Great Land goes-- and share pictures!

I've enjoyed a couple backpacking and fishing trips to AK, and relished the Good Lord's creative beauty [from the Kenai Fjords to Wrangell St Elias Ntn'l Park to Denali]-- but, it sure was a test of character to be so close to so much game and not be hunting. Hopefully, I will be able to fix that problem the next time back.

Later this month, I'll be backpacking with some of the same AK hikin' & fishin' buddies in WV. Rumors are that there have been a lot of Trout, Black Bear and even a Sasquatch or two seen in them thar hills. Perhaps I should tote the 44 Mag SBH for protection.

BTW... Hey AKsheephunter-- How long is that barrel on your 44? [It's probably dangerous to guess about such things.] Regardless-- that is a significant track in the photo! Thanks for sharing the report.

Y'all enjoy the hunts!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not sure if this is how you post a pic in here but we'll try.
last week, 10' 26 14/16th inch skull day three, kodiak 200 yards .300 win mag with 180 grain noslers.

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
Good on ya! How many shots?

thumb

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I believe it took 2 shots........and they say Nosler Partitions suck!! HAH!!!!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ya two shots, recovered one bullet on the far side, great form, partitions never sucked that i've seen...cor-lokt on the other hand....

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Wesley,

You and your dad should be back by now, I think. What's your report?

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote