New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying A Sat Phone
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any thoughts on buying a Motorola 9505? Any deals out there? Is there a newer more compact model? Any vendors you suggest? Thanks.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
I have a 9505 and it is great. I have had it a little over a year and it has never let me down. I have called from all over Alaska and the lower west coast. I am on the Iridum system and Highly recomend it... maddog
PS got mine at http://www.satphonestore.com

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Iridium system is much better than the other systems. I have a 9500, and while it works great, it is pretty large compared to the new 9505a model. The 9505a works very well and is smaller than the 9500. They have made a few enhancements to the 9505, hence the (a) designation.
There are many places that sell them, try to find one close to you. Also, if you will not use it often, you may be better off renting a unit.
Here is where I have my service through. http://www.wcclp.com/index.php/phpmPage/Products_Satell...one/page/20/p2/9505A

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Frankly I always want to stay on the cutting edge. I called the place that I got my 9505 and asked them about the 9505a. They stated that they were having a bunch of trouble with them and stick with the 9505. If they said it was a hot deal I would have gotten one. I respect there advice. I talked to the tec @ http://www.satphonestore.com

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crane,
Check out EBay. There's a regular seller offering Kyocera Iridium sat phones new in the box for about $450 and a provider plan with very reasonable charges. I bought one and am very satisfied with it's performance. Stay away from the geophysical satellite systems as your coverage is limited.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geoff, Do you have a URL for the ebay sat phone you mentioned?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a 9505 and love it. It is my SHTF backup phone while living in Cairo and is obviously super handy to have on hunting trips abroad that are outside of cell service. I was actually on a three day camel trip in the white desert over Thanksgiving last year and it was damn nice to be able to call the US and talk to family. I have had NO trouble with Iridium and highly recommend their pre-paid service. The minutes are actually cheaper when you pre-pay and you don't have to contend with all that monthly bill bullshit.
As an aside, it is my understanding that the 9505a is functionally no different than the 9505. The only difference is the battery and power hookup as far as I can tell. It is also my understanding that Iridium did not make these changes because they were "better" but because they changed suppliers or the existing suppliers changed their offerings for whatever reason. There appear to be plenty of 9505 batteries and parts still available from vendors and they are a bit cheaper than 9505a stuff at this point so I am stocking up.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolf,
Sorry for the late reply. I have not checked this thread since posting. My source was a regular seller of Kyocera sat. phones on eBay. I just punched in satellite phones and found him. The Iridium provider is ACME Satellite.
For contact: try info@acmeinc.biz

I've had good reception and transmission in WY, Northern Argentina and will be using it in two weeks while fishing in the Amazon region.

Interestingly, the worst reception and transmission was in remote areas in Hawaii.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have owned a 9500 since the first year they came out and picked up another at a gun show to carry in my aircraft. A couple of years ago I bought a 9505. From my experience and from at least a dozen other Alaskan bush users of both type phones the 9500 is more trouble free. The 9500's also pick up the satellites faster and you get cut off less often. The Alaska smokejumpers claim the same thing happens to their 9505's but the older 9500 were trouble free.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote