THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    6.5 x 55 on Bear and Moose - any stories??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 x 55 on Bear and Moose - any stories??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
Looking for success....(or failures) and any info i.e. bullet used, range, game, outcome, etc.

Thanks.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its one of the three or four most popular cartrigdes for moose in Norway. It performs satisfactory, but keep in mind that we shoot moose at an average distance at about 70m and use heavy for calibre bullets like 156grs. Use bullets with high weight retention, like the Oryx.
Also, we "always" hunt with dogs, so there is no need to go for DRT type of calibers, if the moose runs off 200m its no problem finding the animal.

Posts: 91 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My boy and I have killed quite a few moose over the last 20 some years with the same old 7 mag remington. I killed a caribou with 6.8 AR this fall and even had the same AR with me in the truck during moose season. Moose go down easy, never had one stroll off; large kill zone. I'm sure that 6.5 would put him down.

I had an Indian neighbor who had a bunch of horses. The moose would come into the horses. Some horses get awful worked up about moose, my neighbors did. Tear up fences; screw themselves up. So Stella got to shooting every moose she saw bothering her horses. She shot 3-4/year right at her house with an old beat up 243; never had any walk off. I helped her cut up many moose over the years, saw it with my own eyes.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zhurh:
My boy and I have killed quite a few moose over the last 20 some years with the same old 7 mag remington. I killed a caribou with 6.8 AR this fall and even had the same AR with me in the truck during moose season. Moose go down easy, never had one stroll off; large kill zone. I'm sure that 6.5 would put him down.

I had an Indian neighbor who had a bunch of horses. The moose would come into the horses. Some horses get awful worked up about moose, my neighbors did. Tear up fences; screw themselves up. So Stella got to shooting every moose she saw bothering her horses. She shot 3-4/year right at her house with an old beat up 243; never had any walk off. I helped her cut up many moose over the years, saw it with my own eyes.

COOL story...Stella took care of business tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
only one story... my buddy's 12 year old daughter shot a bull moose just above the heart with a 6.5 swede and 120 barnes TSX. Moose was broadside, range was about 80 yds. Moose walked about 20 steps and fell over. Bullet exited.

Posts: 238 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Congrats - good story there, appreciate you sharing.