Find
Notify
Tools

Best Rain gear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
AR gang
I have started a quest to buy the best rain gear I can find, price be damned. I have went through thousands of dollars on this stuff over the years and am never totally happy, or DRY! Need some help from this crowd, especially Alaska experts. What is the best gear you have found or know about?
Thanks guys

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Helly Hansen

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to be around salt water, I hear Helly Hansen is the way to go.

When in above freezing conditions I prefer waxed cotton. Either Barbour or Filson.

I have done hunts where I was backpacking and spent 9 days straight in rain with waxed cotton with perfect satisfaction.

Whe conditions get below freezing them gear like Patagonia, and the current high tech mountain Goretex gear is the way to go.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, also what you wear under your rain gear is most important.

In cool to cold conditions, say under 50 degrees I always wear wool shorts and pants and either polypropoline or silk undergarmints, never any cotton.

In warm wet weather, either a cotton poly blend or a light nylon is what I use.

Sometimes in Alaska when hunting in a light rain or drizzle I wear wool and no rain gear when under heavy exertion, as the wool will dryitselt out with my body heat, verses wearing rain geat and sweating profusely under it.

When I stop to Glass for game I put rain gear on, but when I again start to walk, I take it off...

I like to hunt in the thin Pendleton wool shirts they call "Sir Pendleton". They are about the same thickness as a cotton oxford shirt, but made of the miracle fiber wool.

IF wool irritates your skin, like it does mine, then just wear a quality silk underware shirt under it.

Works great, in any normal hunting weather, from 70 degrees down to 30 below Zero...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
I got back early Sept from a black and a brown bear hunt. I was in a spike camp for 8 days and it rained 5 of those days....you know the kind of wet where nothing dries out for days and days....? Anyway, my KUIU Chugach pants and jacket kept me completely dry and comfortable. I was also surprised at how well it breathed! We hiked hard and then would glass for an hour or two and I'd just put on a puffy coat underneath the rain jacket when I stopped and I was always warm and dry. It held up well in the alders too.
I know that's not an extended review and time will tell how well it eventually holds up but for now and for me it's the best rain gear I've ever had.
I've worn Helly Hansen raingear many times (commercial fishing in AK for a few seasons)and as long as I wasn't moving much it worked great but I tend to sweat easily so if I exerted myself very much I was soaked from the inside out. Besides, that stuff is too heavy to pack!!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for the perfect rain gear for 15yrs and my wife always makes fun of me for trying the latest/greatest. I always end up taking two sets, (1) a lightweight hightech set for just in case rain, and (2) my go to set for when you know it's gonna be one of those real snotty days - Helly Hanson Impertech top and Cabelas goretex waist high waders for bottoms.

I seriously doubt that anyone on the face of the earth sweats more than me and I haven't found anything that doesn't make me sweat if I'm humping hills/packing meat/dragging rafts, etc. But the waders dry out as quick as any I've tried - and they solve the problem of trying to get rubber boots or hippers to dry after several "real" rain days.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
My outfitter recomended Grunden Petrus
Raingear. I got the hooded long coat and
the matching pants. It worked great on my
brown bear hunt and my moose hunt in
pretty poor weather. I had to get it from
Macks, couldnt find it in lower 48.

Posts: 76 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westcomb from British Columbia makes awesome gear that is hardy and functional. Pricey but worth the money and quality workmanship throughout. Used on my moose hunt in AK this year and stayed warm and dry no matter what the conditions were. Plus its not made overseas!

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using DRY CREEK
They make a variety of styles an price range
Mid range price
I have been using them in Alaska for many years.
Always dry
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great advice guys. I have done a lot of Alaskan hunting, from moving around after caribou, to standing in the rain on a salmon creek waiting for brown bear. I would want gear that you can move in over just rubber wear that is made for more sitting. I assume most of the stuff you guys mentioned can be found on a web search, which I will do. Really appreciate your valuable input . Always a great way to get good insider info from guys who know what I am talking about through experience. Please keep the ideas coming as this is a serious quest for the perfect rain gear! Thanks men.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swazi gear is really good, but expensive. Like airplanes and boats, nothing is ever perfect for all applications, but when I'm hunting and the storms are brewing, I bring my Swazi gear.

Posts: 442 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I gave Davey himself a pile of $$ for his raingear! It is no different than any other Gore-Tex gear non the market. Wear it on a rainey day and it will weigh 40lbs by nightfall. Total junk in my opinion !!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see no mention of Sitka Gear. Not advocating but does anyone have a comment?

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't beat Frog Togs for hunting in a light rain. I don't know how they would do in an all day down pour, but I expect they would do well. They are reasonably quiet, inexpensive and come in camo.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
another vote for frogg toggs for the reasons listed. Spent a day or two in the rainy marsh with no complaints.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my Alaska exerience, Frogg Toggs are good for a little while in light rain/mist. They're light weight and reasonably water-resistant. Downside is the seams aren't terribly strong--or waterproof--and tend to separate with much exertion. I prefer Rivers West for heavy, reasonably waterproff outerwear in cold weather. Cover this with a full-length HellyHansen coat and you can sit in the rain all day. The long coat will keep your butt dry and hip waders will do the same for your legs.

Don't have any Swazi outerwear, but the t-necks and pullovers I do have dry quickly and are top quality. Spent nine VERY rainy days an hour east of Cordova a month ago with this gear and was very comfortable.

Dave Manson

Posts: 690 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Frogg Toggs can work in the right circumstances, but they don't last long if you're busting brush or in the alders.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
AR gang
I have started a quest to buy the best rain gear I can find, price be damned. I have went through thousands of dollars on this stuff over the years and am never totally happy, or DRY! Need some help from this crowd, especially Alaska experts. What is the best gear you have found or know about?
Thanks guys

Grundens! dancing

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I basically use either Simms or Frogg Toggs but if i have learned anything over the past forty years it is that if you are working out in the rain all day - you are going to get wet.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
No one gear is perfect for every situation. Honestly you likely need about 3 pairs to cover all scenarios and uses. Right now I really like the Kuiu rain gear. I haven't really put it through guide level use, so I can't speak about long term durability, but so far so good. It's a good all around rain gear that isn't too loud or heavy. That said you want bomber tough and never wet (at least less wet) Helly Hanson is hard to beat. I typically use it for fishing trips because it REALLY repels water and you can wash off the fish stink easily. It just doesn't breath or stretch. My go to light weight/sheep gear is Mountain Hardwear Cohesion stretch. It isn't tough at all, but it's very light weight and keeps you dry when needed.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I basically use either Simms or Frogg Toggs but if i have learned anything over the past forty years it is that if you are working out in the rain all day - you are going to get wet.

After 40 some years of out doors I am still lookig for the perfect rain gear. I agree with Phil if your out all day in the rain your going to get wet.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What, exactly are you doing? Hunting? Halibut/salmon fishing the inlet or gulf?
If it's the latter, then it's a toss up between Helly Hanson & Grundon's. Both are used by the commercial fishing crews in the gulf. I found both about equal in quality when I ran my sport fishing boat in Cook Inlet & the gulf.
Since I don't really hunt the wet country, I can't comment spacifically about that.
Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
For pure 100% waterproof gear I like Guy Cotton as it doesn't have a lining to hold moisture like Grunden and Helley Hansen.
After a few days in a wet tent that makes a difference. But with 100% waterproof gear your sweat will get you just as wet as rain if you are hiking.
New gore-tex gear like Simms or Frogg Toggs works much better for that but after a year or two it starts to leak more and more.
One alternative I have found is to wear a light Frogg Togg jacket under either a second gore-tex or rubber coat (depending on how wet it is)

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like River's West. I spent a week north of the arctic circle in a tent camp caribou hunting and it rained every day most all day. It hasn't let me down trapping and hunting in Wisconsin either. Like others have said nothing is perfect but I think this is close.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Kuiu and Arcteryx. Arcteryx isn made for hunting but is incredibly well made.

Kuiu is made for hunting. Outstanding stuff, but they have supply problems, order early.

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
West Comb is owned by a guy who used to work down the street for Arc Teryx.

I own a pair of West Comb ski pants that I use for Ski Patrol use and it is bomb proof stuff.

I own the majority of the Arc Teryx catalog and it too is bomb proof stuff that can be counted on. I did have a packer one time on a sheep hunt who wore the Arc Teryx and we did see plenty of rain, wind, cold and he was just fine. That being said, I would not take that on a hunt since there are many options out there that are designed specifically for mtn. hunting.

I own a Sitka Jacket, but have never taken it hunting. It seems that Sitka had there time as the latest in state of the art hunting clothing and now the focus seems to be on Kuiu Gear as the new go to for the state of the art in mtn hunting clothing. I would like to read a detailed field report on the Kuiu gear. They are Selling a lot of it. Perhaps we should do a Group buy on Kuiu Gear.....

That being said, the default standard has always been HH Impertech. Which is what I will be wearing on my Spring Grizzly hunt. I bought the Guide Jacket, Pants and Anorak and it seems better designed that the old camo HH that I went on dozens of hunts with. The material seems to be the same. It is very tough, it does stretch a little and does not tear easily. A good value for the money.

I agree with Phil, that with the HH you will not get wet from the outside, but you will get clammy and wet from your own sweat on the inside with the HH. If you are stuck in a tent for day after day in the rain, you are going to get wet.

Cold Zero