THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Two on one or one on one for Dall/Grizz combo

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two on one or one on one for Dall/Grizz combo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
My best friend and I are still on the hunt to find an outfitter for a Dall/Grizzly combo hunt.

We have some candidates, both of impeccable reputation.

Outfitter #1 is offering 1 guide to 2 hunter ratio, 14 day, $9500 each.

Outfitter #2 is offering 1 guide to 1 hunter, 10 day, same camp but hunting seperately on a daily basis, $11,900.

I've been told that their is just "no way" one guide is going to get 2 hunters, all 4 animals.

Your opinions please. Please don't ask me to divuldge the outfitters since I don't want another AR member either booking with the outfitter before we do and I don't want anyone talking to the outfitters should they know each other.

Opinions please.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doing a 1 guide for 4 animals would be biting off more than you could chew and severly limit your chances, i'd go with option number two, hunting seperate, that would optimize your chances for success, depending on how you measure that. But if hunting with your buddy is what your there for, then i'd go with option number 1. either way, its gonna be a huge IF nailing both those animals for either of you, it can be done, but remember to focus on one and take the other as an incidental rather than spreading yourself to thin....best of luck.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I'd lean towards the 1 on 1 hunt too. If you decide to go for the 2x1, then you and your friend have to decide who goes for what & when. On the 2x1, you might decide that one guy gets the first chance on a ram and the 2nd guy goes for the grizzly but...
From your description, it suggests to me that you're gonna be in the Brooks Range. I've hunted the Brooks and last year we were in a new area (for me) and it was the first time we didn't even see a grizzly.
In short, if you can swing the extra money, I think I'd opt for the 1x1 trip but even on that, I'd really prefer hunting out of a different camp. Just my thoughts tho.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
normally you'll be doing good to get 2 animals leave alone 4. on a sheep hunt in particular never ever, repeat never ever, repeat never ever do anything but 1 on 1, that 11,9 is a cheap hunt for the 2 premier animals in N.A. given a decent chance at bagging them. I'd check this one out really well.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just upgraded my hunt to add a grizz to the dall sheep hunt. In speaking to my outfitter he said we would hunt dall in one area and then fly to another for the grizz. I was happy to hear that he'd do that since he said to get two trophies we'd need to hunt two different areas.
Not saying it couldn't be done but the odds of two different trophies in one area are remote.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSSP

I work with 2 operators in the Brooks range with loads of experience there. They would never take 2 guys after 2 griz and 2 sheep with one guide unless it was important for the guys to hunt together. Their sheep/griz combo prices run $14,500-$17,000 1x1 and success is nearly 90% on both species. The prices you have quoted are very low so I would be very careful in finding out what these outfits really are offering and what the combo success rate is.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
However, $9500 is a bargain! better get it now while the gettin' is good, trust me those prices won't be that next year, then again it depends how you guys are going in too.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
1x1 period. Sheep would probably be just fine 2x1, but 2 grizzlies makes the odds too slim. The money you save is insignificant compared to the time spent and the cost of coming back to get one species or the other. And, if one tags out before the other, you can still hunt together for a few days.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a grand total of $4800 more you two guys get to cover twice the ground.
If your thinking economics then 1X1 gives the best value. Think how much it will cost to repeat the next year on even one animal. You just give yourself the best chance to take all 4 trophies.
If you're wanting to hunt together and experience this adventure in the presents of the other guy then 1X2.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go one-on-one. You won't regret it. You'll enjoy more unfettered hunting and your best friend will remain your best friend.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a Sheep on the Mountain..Grizzly in the valley.. What will it be.. You don't know what all the rest of the Tomorrow's will bring..
You may Hunt.. You may be Socked in..You may never see any animals again..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote