New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountian Goat
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm wanting to go next fall and was wondering what I can expect to pay?What is the best time?How difficult are tags to get?What kind of specialized gear would I need?I've gotten prices from outfitters in Wyoming $4000 for hunt $2000 for tag.Is this close to what I would pay in Alaska?

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rsm458Lott:
I'm wanting to go next fall and was wondering what I can expect to pay?What is the best time?How difficult are tags to get?What kind of specialized gear would I need?I've gotten prices from outfitters in Wyoming $4000 for hunt $2000 for tag.Is this close to what I would pay in Alaska?

Fees: I would say that $7-9,000 would cover most outfitters.

Time: I would/did go in oct. for a long winter coat.

tags: if you don't go in a lottery/ draw area then you just buy a non res license and a goat tag.

gear:

boots; either plastic mtn. boots like koflach or mountaineering grade leather boots that will take crampons like meindl boots.

socks, smartwool lt hiker or the heavier hunting exteme with a capilene or x static liner. 3 pairs of each.

synthetic bag rated to 0 degrees-t.n.f., mtn hardware or integral designs and a thermarest pad, bivy sack

raingear; h.h. impertech or kooldry

long underwear; 2 sets, 1 lt wt., 1 medium wt. polarmax or patagonia

clothes; fleece windproof 2 sets pants (full length leg zippers) and shirts. outdoor research or similar

hats; 1 baseball, 1 windproof fleece, 1 balaclava or neck gaitor

outerwear; 1 lt. wt. synthetic fill parka with hood, integral designs or mtnhardware

gloves; 2 pairs, 1 leather for hiking, 1 windproof fleece

hope that info' helps, good luck.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not taking away from Alaska, been there twice. But you need to go to British Columbia
The place I went has a very High concetration of Big Goats . I shot a 10" with 6 " bases.
#120 all time Boone&Crocket.

Posts: 1457 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice goat, congrats.

true, if this is the type of goat you are after you would be better served in b.c..

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input.What is the cost differances between B.C. and Alaska?Very nice trophy.I checked out hunt prices in Wyoming and Idaho,they are about the same as Alaska but you have to draw a tag that's cost around $1800. cAN'T You buy tags over the counter for most areas in Alaska?

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, most areas in ak. a goat tag can be bought over the counter.

the cost of going to canada with the extra fees will add to the cost of the trip. guide rates are around $8-10k. plus a slew of travel and gun related fees.

better chance at a larger animal.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
We do have some big Goats down here in Southern SE AK. We probably have as many in the Books that the BC boys have.

With 7 or 8 mild winters in a row we are seeing some real good horn growth and the population is up good.

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
muskegex can you reccomend some outfitters and their prices for 1x1 hunts?

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
I sent you a PM ......

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out;

alaska trophy adventures
100% success rate on goats
1 on 1 hunts, very resonable $.
small operation.

you won't find a cheaper hunt with a higher success rate. hunt till you get one.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I believe all the open areas for goat are in SE Alaska, you won't find any general season tags in south central or Kodiak as far as I know, if there were, I would have found them by now. There are some registration hunts but those are later in the year and could close almost as soon as they open. I also agree with Muskeg, you'll find some huge goats in Alaska and will pay less than hunting in BC.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
m70nut is correct, no over the counter goat tags for kodiak, it is draw only, as far as i know.

also, that b.c. is more expensive for goat, however you will have a better chance at a larger goat on avg. m.h.o.. you get what you pay for.

Cold Zero

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cold zero:
check out;

alaska trophy adventures
100% success rate on goats
1 on 1 hunts, very resonable $.
small operation.

you won't find a cheaper hunt with a higher success rate. hunt till you get one.

They don't mention goat hunts on their web page...only fishing and bear/moose hunts on the alagnak. Am I looking in the wrong place?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
roscoe;

correct.

they have no web site, do no video or print ads of any kind. all business comes from repeat customers like myself and word of mouth referrals.

one reason the prices are less for the hunts is that they have no office , no advertising expense, etc. savings passed on to the relatively small # of customers they take each year. small operation, high quality animals, lots of personal attention, near perfect success rate on all animals.

Cold Zero

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about them, but these guys sure thump some BIG goats.... www.coastmountainoutfitters.com

Check this one out...apparently the pending #1 P&Y goat of all time, shot last year, 11 3/8" by 6 1/8" or something rediculous like that!...

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cold zero:
roscoe;

correct.

they have no web site, do no video or print ads of any kind. all business comes from repeat customers like myself and word of mouth referrals.

one reason the prices are less for the hunts is that they have no office , no advertising expense, etc. savings passed on to the relatively small # of customers they take each year. small operation, high quality animals, lots of personal attention, near perfect success rate on all animals.

How do you contact them?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
canuck;

that is a great goat. thanks for posting the photo. what if anything else can you tell me about this outfit?

thanks.

Cold Zero

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold Zero;
Can you give me a tele number byPM for your outfitter?? I am 62 and want a goat badly...hate the prices that most of the outfitters want!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2600 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
With respect to the Big BC goat-There is a great article about this hunt in Big Game Adventures magazine (www.BGAmag.com) that just came out-Winter 2006 edition. contact info for outfitter is right behind the aritcle....and was stated earlier in the forum, known as Milligan's Outfitting and Coastal Mountain Outfitters.
This is a great magazine/quarterly with the contact info following each article...lots of good contacts that appear to be the respectable outfitters...perhaps good screening by personal expereince by Publisher and personal expereinces/authors. I will post the contact info if you don't have access to mag, or will fax a copy to you if you PM your fax number.

470EDDY

Posts: 2600 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
canuck beautiful billy thanks for sharing the pics

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
I will post the contact info if you don't have access to mag, or will fax a copy to you if you PM your fax number.

yes, i will take you up on your offer. check you p.m.'s. thanks much.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe/470Eddy
Alaska Trophy Adventures/Dan Montgomery 907-373-4898.. Dan is low profile..Dall Sheep,Coastal Bears,Goats.. Call him he'll send You his Newsletter..Facts..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Rosco;

Super...thanks much...he got quite a bit of press on another forum on Dall sheep. I will give him a call.
In your experience, are his hunts serious rock climbing events and physically demanding?? I am 62 and been hunting Africa to exhaustion and think it's time to do North America...without killing myself!!
Steve 253-549-2010 Seattle time...if you want to talk...

470EDDY

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
Check this one out...apparently the pending #1 P&Y goat of all time, shot last year, 11 3/8" by 6 1/8" or something rediculous like that!...

Holy cr....! Stop sending all this pictures of big bears and big goats Canuck, you are making me REALLY unconfortable about having turned down that cancellation hunt!
Wink
Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote