Alaska Moose Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here is a crazy question
What is the least costly
Alaskan Moose hunt
or is there such a thing

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
On your own is the only option for a reduced cost hunt. You are better off in your location taking the ferry to Newfoundland and hunting moose there, at least you'd get the meat back.

Newfie moose prices are $5500-9500 for the top end places.

Moose prices in Alaska, Yukon and NWT are going to be double that to $25,000.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Recently, theres been a couple of hunt reports posted regarding DIY moose hunts on AR. One fellow, I can't remember his name off hand went up around Kotsebue I think and an outfitter dropped him and a partner up high on a river via airplane and picked him up down low after a few days float. I believe they were very successful. Brett from here on AR did a hunt recently up around Galena I think and had a very successful hunt that he also mentioned on AR in a report somewhere. I'd think if you looked up their past reports and contacted them they'd be happy to share some info.

If you wanted to run around Bristol Bay, I'd recommend these guys, http://bayair-alaska.com/ and these guys, http://dillinghamalaska.com/. Bay Air is a very experienced and proficient air taxi and Beaver Creek B&B are very friendly experienced and helpful hosts for traveling sportsmen.

Posts: 9475 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As already mentioned, you can do DIY drop hunts or float hunts for moose for a lower cost. You'll have to do some research. You can start by calling one of the Alaska Department of Fish & Game offices and ask to speak to a biologist about moose hunting. Ask him/her which areas in the state offer the highest hunter success or highest moose density. Then contact the biologists in those game management units to narrow down general areas and river drainages. You can go to the link below for harvest statistics to get an idea of hunter success rates for the general season, registration hunts, and draw hunts to further pinpoint prospective areas to hunt. Contact info for Fish & Game offices is also on the web link below. I would start with the Fairbanks office and Moose biologist.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/ind...moosehunting.harvest

I would also recommend choosing an area with a late season which extends into the rut (later than September 15th) as most people I know who have shot good bulls did so during the rut. Many areas like the Fairbanks area where I live, have moose seasons which do not extend well into the rut. So, cow calling to bring in bulls is somewhat limited as compared to areas which may be open til late September.

Alaska is big, really big and it is not well developed with roads so most travel is by airplane or boat or raft. You'll have to work to get a good bull but it will be an adventure you will never forget.

Posts: 452 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
On your own is the only option for a reduced cost hunt. You are better off in your location taking the ferry to Newfoundland and hunting moose there, at least you'd get the meat back.

Newfie moose prices are $5500-9500 for the top end places.

Moose prices in Alaska, Yukon and NWT are going to be double that to $25,000.

We hunted 11 days this past September on the Yukon Delta for about $7500/each including airfare to AK from Iowa. It was a fly in drop camp, and we were 2 for 2.

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Do you value cost over success?

You can rent a truck and drive the road system. Odds are slim, and even slimmer if you have know knowledge of the area, but I've seen more than a few legal bulls off the highway... you may be packing one a ways on your back as well. Then again, you're out $1500 for a rental truck plus tags/airfare. Seems like a pretty cheap hunt to me.

There are quite a few drop hunt options out of Fairbanks and Anch, once you get out of the main hub towns, the price goes up substantially, as does the logistics. I know of a few taxis that will drop you in decent moose country for $1500-2000 +/- some include a meat haul, others, its exgtra. It ain't going to be a "wilderness" type experience as you'll probably see a few local hunters, but you'll probably kill a moose.

For twice that you can get a "better" experience, but not really a better hunt, IMO. Just what ever you want to make of it. The last 3 moose hunts I did were fly in drop hunts, each cost me $1200 including a $200 tip and all my meat flown out. We went 5 for 6... You don't have to go to the end of the earth to kill a moose. They're kind of everywhere... if you want one cheap, expect to work for it, and have company.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote