Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frazer Lake Hunting
 Login/Join

posted
Hi. Has anyone hunted Frazer Lake for spring brown bear before? Is this a good area?

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
The Frazer Lake is a great area,your gonna be in prime big bear country for sure! Here's a fall bear from an adjoining area.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BBB:
This won't be much help but...
My partner & I drew for Frazer Lake for spring BB back in 1978. I know, about 100 years ago. Our camp was near the north end of the lake and we hunted the valley running west towards Red's Lake. This was the last 2 weeks of the season, as I recall.
I ended up wounding a bear (not bad, thank goodness) & he got away from us & went into the Red's Lake area. There's no timber there - only willows & alders so no firewood to speak of. Wind blows incessantly too. Due to the snow, we basically lived in hip boots. Assuming the fishing season is open, take a rod. We found lottsa char (I think) in the small creek on the north end of the lake.
Can't comment on conditions now but if we had a REASONABLE chance of a draw, I'd go back in a heartbeat. BTW, there were a couple of Coast Guard guys there when we flew in and, as I recall, they got a bear.
Like I said, I'd love to go back.
You lucky dog, you. Woof, woof!
Best of luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big brown bear:
Hi. Has anyone hunted Frazer Lake for spring brown bear before? Is this a good area?

Give the ADF&G and USFWS in Kodiak a call they will be helpfull if you ask the right questions.
Have a good hunt, be prepared for WIND,snow & rain.

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are few bad areas on kodiak...alot depends on the weather probably more than the area...

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put in for Karluk, Red and Frazer lake for 25 years. I finally drew Karluk for last years spring hunt. I hunted the last 2 weeks of the season and saw around 50 different bears. In the spring you'll have to go to the bears, unlike in the fall you just go to the where the fish are spawning.
As mentioned earlier, talk to the F&G biologist in Kodiak, he's a great guy and full of terrific information.
Check with Sea Hawk Air for you flight in and there is a rental company on Kodiak that will rent you rafts, motors, tents or any thing you might need, right down to electric bear fence for around your tent. I drove down, from Fairbanks, taking the ferry across so I took all my own gear.
My only regret was that I didn't plan for 3 or 4 weeks there. I wasn't ready to leave that country at the end.
I held out for that 10 foot plus bear and saw one late at night 4 miles away, too late to go after him. We went after him in the morning and I found his very freash tracks, but that was all I could find of him. I killed a great sow the last minute of the last day to fill my tag.
Good luck BBB, you should have a blast.
AH

Posts: 442 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for your help guys