Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montague Island
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone been to Port Chalmers on Montague? We've been to nearby Hinchinbrook 3 times. Good bucks over the years. Silvers & Halibut fishing was great. 6'8" shark in '03.

10 days end of August for Bucks, Silvers, Shark & Halibut. Anyone come out of Valdez? The cruse to Hinch has been reasonable but some concern about Hooking around North side of Montie. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
I've only been there in the spring. PWS Aquaculture Assc has run a rearing complex for chum salmon fry there in the spring but they may not be continuing the program. Spent most of the time tossing fish food and setting up and tearing down equipment.

There are incredible williwahs coming over the main ridge of the island when the weather is out of the southeast - which isn't all that uncommon.

There is a Forest Service cabin toward the south of Chalmers not too far. IIRC, there aren't many places to duck out of bad weather past Chalmers.

Cordovans pound the deer in Ziakof Bay on the Hitchenbrook Entrance side but it sounds like it's an annual producer. There sure is a lot of tidewater pouring through the entrance.

I hear Green Island is a sleeper for deer but never set foot on it and don't know about good anchorage either.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I hunted out of there a couple years back the end of Oct, early Nov. In August the bucks will still be in the alpine. Across the water from the cabin is a trailhead that heads up into the alpine, just circle around the head of the bay until you find the opening in the brush and head on up.

We didn't do any fishing so can't help on that end.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote