Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted
Hey guys, I am going to be hunting Moose in Sept. on the peninsula and goat on the coast in Oct. I am looking for a boot that would possibly work for both hunts, insulated, waterproof and here's the kicker, WIDE. I have looked at the Schnees hunter II, unfortunately, anything other than D is not available.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have 2 pair of boots with ya at moose camp, might rain all week.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
2 pair + hip boots?

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Any pair you'd use on a goat hunt you wouldn't want on a moose hunt. I'd look at Lowa Hunters for a leather mountain boot or the Scarpa Omega or Lowa Civetta for a plastic mountain boot.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did a drop off fly in out on the Innoko many years back, rained straight for 10 days, gortex didn't work, moose stayed bedded down, and river was 8 foot high. The canoes stayed on high ground and only thing they saw were the blk bears a chewin on them. Everything was soaked and couldn't dry much out. We were there a extra couple days, finally sun come out and I could hear 3 different groups of moose breeding & calling back and forth; called in several bulls pretty quick but that week of rain wasn't actually worth it. You get so miserable, everybody is ready to kill each other, ha.

I always have 2 pair of boots for above mentioned reason. I have also seen 6 inches of new snow outside my tent door mid Sept.

So much better heading downriver to moose camp; hunt/camp a few days and head back to my own bed; cot doesn't get it for me. If she rains, I can be home in a few hours sitting nx to the woodstove.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scarpa Omega or Lowa Civetta for a plastic mountain boot.

I haven't looked at these type of boots much. In my sheephunting in Alberta I usually have long approaches; do these plastic boots have rigid soles? Must be fairly uncomfortable on the not-so-steep and well-worn trails?

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frans Diepstraten:
do these plastic boots have rigid soles? Must be fairly uncomfortable on the not-so-steep and well-worn trails?

Yes. They are very rigid. Wouldn't be my first choice for tens of miles of flat ground hiking. If you were doing a boat based goat hunt where most of the walking was verticle you'd have a hard time finding a better boot than a plastic (Civetta or Omega) or a full shank leather (Lowa Hunter or Scarpa Liskamm).

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd talk with my guide to see what he recommends for his area. In general, I'd advise wearing a pair of knee high rubber boots and taking both hip boots and a slip on rubber moccasin type shoe for camp. Put a felt insole inthe bottom of the knee highs then an arch support. Makes all the difference in the world. That's what I do in our moose camp. Use the hip boots if you need them.
As for boots for a goat hunt, there is no way I'd wear a pair of plastic mountaineering boots on a trip like that. Again, ask your guide but I'll wager you'll find the plastic ones way too stiff and you'll regret wearing them. I'd suggest you get something more flexible but see what your guide suggests - he knows the country.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear in Fairbanks:
I'd suggest you get something more flexible but see what your guide suggests - he knows the country.

"More" should be an extremely relative statement. I'd want something damn ridgid in the sole and ankle for any sheep, goat, or mountain bear hunt. Leave the Rockies at home. Ridged boots make side hilling and climbing both easier and safer, but the trade off is they aren't as forgiving on flat ground. I agree you should ask your guide.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meindl.