THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    What kind of new huntin stuff did the State of Alaska buy you

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of new huntin stuff did the State of Alaska buy you
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
... They bought me a Polaris Sportsman 500 and some Casull ammo ... PFD,s are cool dancing wave Cool troll

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gumboot

Please remind me exactly what "PFD", means.

You have got to love and respect a State that returnes some it its wealth back to the people.

I have been to Alaska a few times, including some remote locations, had interactions with a lot of people, including many Native Alaskans [what lower 48ers call Eskimos], and have found 99.9% to be very good folks.

I consider it a Great State.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
The Permanant Fund was set up during the Hammond administration / Pipeline ...It is oil money that was set aside for the people of the state ... The Fund is well managed and consequently our dividend checks have been increasing .........

It is a hotly contested item in the state , like everything up here seems to be ....A Governor will or won,t get elected according to if the people think they will rip off the Permanant Fund ... One reason why Vice President Palin Was such a good Governor is she had the state give us an extra 1200 $ to help offset the fuel cost ....... Urban people can,t imagine how expensive the Bush is ....,., Every year merchants gear up for the PFD ....

It comes at a good time of year ..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Active duty military Alaska residents only get it if they are in the state at least 15 days a year, and they have to break up that 15 days into two trips no greater than 180 days apart.

So since I came back in the Navy in 2000 I haven't spent enough time home to qualify without worrying about the BS of going to jail over $1000.

Eskimos call themselves Eskimos, unless they are Aleut. The Aleut, the Inupiat, and Upik are the three groups. For some reason Aleut don't like to be referred to as Eskimos. There are also Yukpik or Upik in Russia. There are no pure Aleuts left in the world, during the time of Russian Amerika, most Russians either killed off the Aleut or married them.

Canadian and Greenlandic eskimos don't like to be called eskimos. Greenlanders like the term Greenlander, and Canadians like to be called by their group "Inuit, Ivaqualit, and so on".

The other Alaska natives are closely related to Apache and Navajo and other northern Mexican groups of indians.

My anthropology degree is pretty heavily into Greenland and Scandanavia, so that was from memmory you might check Wikipedia before you quote me.

As for 99.9% of them being good folks, I would say that is true. BUT! They are the most affected by group of people I have ever seen drunk. They have the ability to be very kind and civil to one another, but as someone who arrested his fair share of them while working in Barrow I will say " they do things to eachother on a regular basis that would make Viet-Cong prison guards at the Hanoi Hilton cringe". Child molestation is very common, most little Eskimo girls lose their virginity to daddy, uncle, or brother. They murder eachother when they are on the sauce with an alarming regularity. They will absolutly beat the hell out of their wives almost to the point of death on a regular basis. They have zero regard for game laws, hunting liscenses, even among public officials in the villages.

I once dated one of the dispatchers who was a Inupiat lady, and she invited me over for dinner. (she looked like Shania Twain) She asked me to get 2 steaks from the Alaska Commercial store in Barrow and she would cook them. She told me several times she was a good cook. So I figure I am in for a treat, so I buy two porterhouses at $15 each and head to her house. She told me to watch tv while she got it ready, so I am sitting there and good smells are coming out of the kitchen. She tells me it's ready and I go to the dining room to find that she boiled the steaks. Toughest peice of $15 steak I ever ate!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
quote:
She tells me it's ready and I go to the dining room to find that she boiled the steaks.
That, was funny!!!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Please remind me exactly what "PFD", means

PFD = Permanent Fund Dividend
Wink

I believe a .375 Ruger may follow me home from Anc. on Wed dancing clap

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just paying bills off with ours, although a little ole 35 whelen somehow was purchased by someone in this household Wink

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is buying tickets to fly to Africa next year.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mine is buying tickets to fly to Africa next year.

Nice YK! Share the details when you can.

Mine is going for elephant tanning/shipping and refinishing my 8-bore, with a bit left over(hopefully) to fund my Brownell's habit. Jay Hamond was a wise, wise man!

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should add that last year AK bought my wife and I a S&W 329PD and 340PD. The year before it was a new dental crown Frowner. Life is good in the Great Land.

450N, I had the pleasure of living in Nome for a few years and know some of the good folks you hunted with. True gentlemen and a definite privilege to count them as friends.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Going to Namibia for a week of plains game in a conservancy. After that, I'm headed over to the Caprivi for elephant and hopefully, we'll pull in a hyena too. I would like to get a lioness while I'm there but I doubt we can find one that wants to cross the river and leave a lot of the buffalo that are on the other side. Both hunts are with Vaughan Fulton's company and I will be around a couple of other AR members who are coming and going into the same Caprivi camp.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
We bought a new freezer, some new Mudlites for the wifes new Rancher 4 wheeler, a new skid plate for my Foreman, paid off a credit card, paid the balance on our Maui trip in Feb, and we're looking at buying an air compressor and maybe a new power washer. Yep, life is good on PFD Fridays!!!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I was going to take it easy but wouldnt you know I found a Mauser Mark X for $75. Now I have to spend another $150 to get it up and running. Fun stuff. Big Grin

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Not sure I can claim it as pfd energy purchases, as that money seemed to have already been spent. But I did get a pair of minox 10X43 binos from camera land NY, I'm still trying to get a chance to give them a good ring out. Under pre election purchases I got a RRA AR-15 lower, and as I still couldn't decide on an upper I ended up getting an Armalite M-15 in M4 configuration. Now I'm thinking I need a dillon 550 to keep up Big Grin

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah RMiller, you beat me to that one. A MarkX minus the bottom metal for $75.

What condition is it in? Good grab.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Pretty decent shape. It has minor rust pitting here and there the trigger is non adjustable and the stock has seen better days but the action is very sound. Chris had sanded all the rust off and gave it a Birchwood Casey blue on it. I have done a couple Birchwood Casey Blue jobs myself before. I figured I was going to reblue this one but it was already done.

I have never been a fan of Mausers or why guys tinker with them so much. I have had the thing for a couple days now and have already ordered rings and bases, a new trigger and synthetic blind magazine stock. I was thinking of trying to swap the barrel out to a 35 Whelen but I want to see how the 24" 30-06 barrel does. The action on this one seems to lock up very nice and the bolt does not flop all over the place like the old rebarreled Kimber of Oregon rifles do. I can see why they are tinkered with so much. I am only into this one a whole $273 bucks now.

I also bought the 742 Remington and it was in good shape.

It is funny I am not really an 06 fan and now I have 3 of them.

With that Kodiak tag I have for next spring I need to line out a plane next. I was contemplating a larger than 30-06 rifle for the hunt and I picked up a Savage guide model 375 H-H. For $495 I figured what the heck. I could not see going all out for big rifle when
I feel more than fine with an 30-06 for most of my hunting. It is not like I hunt brownies every year anyway. The money I save will pay for the ticket to Kodiak. Havent even shot it yet and I replaced the pad already. Put on a new version sims limbsaver pad.

I'll get a couple cords of wood too. Big Grin

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Tongue in cheek, That lady gave me some hope!, can't buy anything with it but what the heck! dancing

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote