Find
Notify
Tools

Dall Sheep
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Posted 30 April 2008 19:53
I book a sheep hunt with Matt Snyder ( Alaska Hunting Adventures ) and at the time he was 3 years out 2010. But last night Matt called with a opening I get to go Aug. 16th this year.

Is that great or what!!!!!!!!!!

Don't let your fears get in the way of your dreams

Posts: 142 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ya better start gettin' in shape, ol' boy!!!
Congrats. Do ya know what mountain range?
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Are you hunting TMA???

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't get pulled for a Tok tag and yes the old guy better get in shape

Posts: 142 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Just wondering because Alaska Hunting Adventures does cover TMA. I guess you are still hunting the Alaska Range....Good Luck

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok Hunter,

Just talked to Matt the other day. You didn't go wrong booking with him! He and his mom and step dad are some of the best! I am sure you will hunt the mountains around Tok. Possibly the Mentasta's. Matt is a great guy and they know sheep! Wish you the best!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Northway

Thanks this is my first trip to Alaska and my first sheep hunt. I have only heard good about Matt. Should be a hunt of a lifetime for a flatlander.

Got my plane tickets now just need the car to get from Anchorage to Tok

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a daily bus from Anchorage to Tok going both ways. If you rent a car do not rent from the airport as there is an additional tax. Get a taxi I have them take you from the airport to the car rental business and tell that you are coming from a local hotel.

Picture of Alex Supertramp
posted Hide Post
Okhunter

I am an Alaskan resident. Military has me here in Oklahoma right now. I live in Edmond. I've been sheep hunting a half dozen times. I drew the Delta tag last year (next door to TMA) and shot a 40" ram.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Super ram, I am an Alaskan military resident stationed in Maine.

Oh well, only 5 more years and I am retired and back to......Sitka, Petersburg, Homer, Kenai, Valdez, Fairbanks, Palmer, not sure????????

I have a few requirements.
1. Has to be within 100 miles of the ocean, so I can dive enough to maintain proficiency.
2. Has to be within 100 miles of a military base so I can use the hospital, exchange, and commissary.
3. Horses have to be able to survive there (so probably not Fairbanks).
4. Have to be able to make a living there, and afford to hunt not only Alaska, but the rest of the world.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:

Oh well, only 5 more years and I am retired and back to......Sitka, Petersburg, Homer, Kenai, Valdez, Fairbanks, Palmer, not sure????????

1. Has to be within 100 miles of the ocean, so I can dive enough to maintain proficiency.
2. Has to be within 100 miles of a military base so I can use the hospital, exchange, and commissary.
4. Have to be able to make a living there, and afford to hunt not only Alaska, but the rest of the world.

Sounds like you're moving to the Mat-Su valley or Anchorage.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alex

Are you at Tinker if so lets meet for lunch.

Send me a PM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pard

Could you plese provide the bus name. Alaska Direct only runs Sunday, Wednesday and Friday

Thanks

posted Hide Post
I am at Tinker, but I leave "very" soon for my AEF rotation, so lunch is probably out of the question for now. I have to swing by today, but that will be it prior to my departure.

Curious why you didn't get a ticket into Fairbanks. Two hours closer to Tok than A-town.

If you need taxidermy advice, there is only one choice I would use for your sheep. This guy does the best work on any animal in Alaska hands down, but his sheep mounts are his forte.

If you are on base and are able to reach me before I leave this morning, I can drop you off Tony Russ' "Sheep Hunting Alaska" book. It is a must read...

Good luck on your hunt. I've heard nothing but good things about Matt. The Mentastas and Nutzotin mountains are some really beautiful country to boot.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I am about on that same timeline for retirement, though I hope I can get out of here in the next 2 years and PCS back up north for my final assignment. I don't like the idea of having to wait 5 years...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong with daily departures. But there must be several bus lines and I would check them all out.

What are there names? Direct bus line is one. Do a google search buses Anchorage - Tok. I would purchase the Alaska Mileage Post as it has everything you will need to know about public transportation.

In 1974, I hitch hiked from McCarthy to Gridwood south and east of Anchorage with my goat, rifle and pack. I had not taken a bath in over 10 days. How I miss the old days and my youth. Made it in one day.

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pard Cummings:
I may be wrong with daily departures. But there must be several bus lines and I would check them all out.

What are there names? Direct bus line is one. Do a google search buses Anchorage - Tok. I would purchase the Alaska Mileage Post as it has everything you will need to know about public transportation.

In 1974, I hitch hiked from McCarthy to Gridwood south and east of Anchorage with my goat, rifle and pack. I had not taken a bath in over 10 days. How I miss the old days and my youth. Made it in one day.
Things were so much simpler back then, wished i'd have been around during those days....

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was born on Tinker when my dad was stationed there in 69.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Northway:
I was born on Tinker when my dad was stationed there in 69.

You're in a much better place now Northway...didn't want you feeling like you're missing out. Hey, what is the name of the restaurant across from 40-mile? Ok hunter, you be sure to stop in there for a burger, before and after your hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alex

When you return let me know where you are at on base and I will stop by.

posted Hide Post
Will do. Good luck on your hunt!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is Fast Eddy's. Everyone has to stop in there to eat. I think their breakfast is best! The mushers omelette is killer!

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Supertramp:
quote:

I am about on that same timeline for retirement, though I hope I can get out of here in the next 2 years and PCS back up north for my final assignment. I don't like the idea of having to wait 5 years...

Me too, the Navy recruiter job in Fairbanks is looking pretty good right now.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote