THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Clark National Park/Forest area???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clark National Park/Forest area???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wondering who out there has hunted around this area up above the Alaskan Penn? Thinking of heading just west of there (on the boundary) this Fall for Brown Bear and Moose.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Hello Afreeman

What can I tell you? I'm very familar with this area.
I've hunted and guided this area for about the last 30 years. During this time the moose hunting has gone from great to poor and the bear hunting has gone from ok to very good.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Akshooter
Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated.
The bear is first on my list but my friend that i am going with is hoping for a good moose.

I am not concerned with a really big bear, just hoping for a mature bruin with a nice pelt on his backside. Sounds like that might be a good area for this. How big is big in that region (would hate to pass on a 7 footer if that is good in that area).

If i get a poke at a moose, the first legal one will do just fine by me. So when you say poor, are the moose that thin up in there? Are there any areas close to that region that are better for moose?

None of us in the hunting party are hoping for B&C anything, just looking for good mature animals.

Again thanks and same goes for any suggestions.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Anything over 8 foot should be considered good in this area. The fur quality is surprisingly good in the fall.
If your a non resident be sure you fulfill the guide requierment or the second degree of kendred.
Moose have become very few. Any leagle moose will be hard to find.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight.