Find
Notify
Tools

Fiberglass Stocks?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
There are alot of different materils out there being used but i was thinking on a fiberglass stock . MPI uses only fiberglass and they have a nice looking two piece stock for the ruger No. 1 what are your opinions on stocks made froom just fiberglass? They can be seen at www.mpistocks.com Tell me what you guys think i was thinking on putting one on a tropical stainless 375H&H Thanks Tanoose

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Fiberglass is good, better if each specfic firearm is glass bedded! MPI stocks have serviced me fine! Wood stocks that are glassbedded and with a urethane finish on the outer surface have worked great too!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a composite, go with the Rimrock by Borden. IMHO they are the best sporter stock out there. Again, IMHO, the MPI stocks are the best second rate stock on the market and I would not put one on a BB gun. hammering

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take a look at the pounder from brown precision. super light and plenty strong.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fibre glass stocks are good in temperate / maritime 'wet weather / autumn & winter' conditions. I have two rifles 'shoed' with McMillan marbled pattern stocks. The stocks, from my limited experience atmittedly, good quality. And I rather like the marbled pattern.

I have read though, fibre glass stocks can be cold in real cold conditions: Canada, northern Scandinavia, interior Alaska. Additionally, they become rather hot if exposed to strong sun light, left directly behind a vehicle window.

I do not believe they 'melt', or go appreciably soft, but the 'plastic' may lose some of ist' strength properties if repeatedly exposed like this. Of course, in these conditions, they will feel hot to touch.

This is where the lighter wood laminates come in. I have a Serengetti stock on one of my other rifles and I am very pleased with it. Unless I angle my rifle correctly towards the light, the stock looks like it is one piece.

While the Rutland Laminate style laminate stocks can be rather heavy - all that resin, I believe the Obeche laminate stocks, made? / sold by a long range bench rest target shooter are much lighter and still very strong.

I saw an advertisement, taken from a hunting magazine, with a Echols rifle stocked in dark Obeche laminate. It was an American classic hunting style. I would give these consideration also. However, apart from web page adverts, I know nothing about them.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Rimrock is one of, if not the best but I don't think they make a Ruger #1 two-piece. I know of these: Bell & Carlson, MPI, and Lone Wolf. There are probably some more; I ain't the yellow pages by any means.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Tanoose I've had a MPI mannlicher on my 358 Norma forever and it's a fine as stock a person could ask for.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys i think ni'll give MPI am try. Later Tanoose

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote