New
Find
Notify
Tools

Memorial Day Dahl Sheep
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got up early this beautiful morning, threw a hunk of salmon and a hersey bar and binos in the pack, and started walking up hill for my first long hike getting ready for this fall's hunting season. Three hours and 4500' later I was sitting down to breakfast when this guy walked over the ridge about 800 yards away.

You can't tell from the crappy photo, but he was a nice full curl ram. I jumped behind some rocks and glassed him for a few minutes, then plotted how to intercept him. The wind was all wrong but the terrain didn't leave me options, so I raced along the opposite side of my ridge as best I could. I closed to about 400 yards before running out of cover. From there I watched the old guy go about his business for about 45 minutes before he walked over the ridge again.

Getting in a practice stalk to at least "possible" rifle range (as opposed to the j-frame 357 I was carrying; Elmer isn't my name) on a legal sized sheep was an awesome unexpected bonus and I was grinning ear to ear. In all I glassed about a dozen animals with another definite full curl and one that was close.

The walk home:

A great Memorial day!

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures and story, good luck!

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please provide GPS coordinates and the location of the nearest road!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning and Good Luck
keep us posted on the sheep hunt

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see quite a few sheep drinking water outta the Yukon this time of year, but they take off into Canada pretty quick and then you don't see them again down low until winter. They actually find caves on the bluffs above river to get out of the cold weather. The wolves also run them down; I've caught sheep on the river ice, figured they'd head off river when I followed them on snowmachine; but they didn't want to go up that high bank and into the woods and I can figure why.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was up in the Alaska Range last week in Dillinger Pass on a Grizz hunt, and saw probably 75 Dall during that time. No shortage there!

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote