Find
Notify
Tools

New APHA 416 guide rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted
Ruger has recently completed a run of their 416 Alaskan rifles for the Alaska Professional Hunters Association. Many have been purchased but the remaining rifles are being marketed by Arctic Ammo in Wasilla and I have posted details in the classifieds

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see it as function over form and I guess thats a fact, but I still find wood and blue good enough to get the job done! too old and too sot in my ways! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I put one of the new Ruger 416 rifles in the Ruger “African” wood stock and it was virtually identical in weight, handling and ballistic performance to my 1905 Jeffery 404.

I have done the same with my 20” bbl stainless Ruger 375 and it makes an awfully handy and deadly carbine.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a ruger 416 guide gun and dropped it down to 5lb 13oz. Restocked it and coated it. Now it’s actually a guide gun.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
I took a ruger 416 guide gun and dropped it down to 5lb 13oz. Restocked it and coated it. Now it’s actually a guide gun.

“5 lbs 13 oz.” OUCH! I’m not sure getting smacked by a bear would be much worse than the recoil! rotflmo

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:

“5 lbs 13 oz.” OUCH! I’m not sure getting smacked by a bear would be much worse than the recoil! rotflmo

For a rifle that is carried a lot and not suppose to be shot.

I see nothing wrong with the weight. I am sure in the SHTF situation recoil is the least of the worry.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess if you don’t practice shooting it, you won’t have to worry about retinal, tears and ear. Crystal displacement.

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least 86 ft-lbs recoil! Getting close to a .460 WBY, but not quite there! Lots handier though.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what do we call this is it called the Ruger 416 Tyson?

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had Melvin of ultra light arms build me a 416 rem. The guys in this forum told me it couldn’t be shot. Ran all the numbers on their recoil calculators and told me I’d have to rechamber it to something smaller to handle it.
It ended up being a dream to shoot. Easier than my 9lb 416 I had prior.
My 416 guide gun is almost fun. My teenage boys used it for rabbit hunting a few times as well. Don’t let the numbers on paper scare you off from reality!!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I put one of the new Ruger 416 rifles in the Ruger “African” wood stock and it was virtually identical in weight, handling and ballistic performance to my 1905 Jeffery 404.

I have done the same with my 20” bbl stainless Ruger 375 and it makes an awfully handy and deadly carbine.

404 and 375 are a bit under estimated calibers
And I think they are super calibers but of course nowadays everyone wants magnum and shoot 500 y plus and that’s a loss of lots of fun getting close

Posts: 141 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote